2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my Truck for about a month now...still have my 14, and still love the hell out of it. My 17 has about 2500 miles on it now.

Want to love this truck, but Ford has made it very hard for several reasons. I posted about it on the FB Forum, but no one wants to hear it...Not sure about here so giving it a shot to see if it's just me and my driving habits or what...

Brakes = Horrible... I was not impressed w/the Gen I Brakes compared to the Sierra Denali I was coming from, but for 17" wheels I get it...but the way Ford has these 17s biased...it's just unsafe. Several times during hi-way driving in traffic where a quick/random stop happens...the brakes just go to the floor and make all sorts of Anti Lock noises without doing a hell of a lot of stopping. Really wish Ford offered a Larger Wheel/Actual Brakes Package for the 90% of us not doing crazy baja runs...I do actually bring the truck off roading, but nothing Game 7 that 18s or 20s would kill me with. I would gladly give up the cushion for the Brakes...especially with all this TT Power now...and that's b/f a Tune, etc.

Suspension...This 17 dives likes an 82 Cutlass Supreme under braking...and around any off ramp, or pot hole/frost heave filled road...the Rear unsafely Hops...and my 14 NEVER did any of that. I know my buddy with a 13, who had a 10, said the later years got a stiffer (more planted) suspension set up, and he loves it vs. his 2010 Raptor's way to soft set up...I don't know if Ford went Softer to be more compliant or what, but again, my 14 Raptor...without a rear sway bar...handles off ramps and on ramps like my 08 Sierra Denali did with a Rear Sway Bar added and with 305/50 20s...and this 17 is just brutal on the exact same roads and under the exact same conditions.

I also notice, like I see others have said...that when I hook up the same 3 place trailer I have (sleds) used on my 14, that the 17 sags and points the front end to the sky...and this is a dual axle V-Nose...so very balanced...hence me being very shocked at how the 17 can't handle it like the 14...

So not sure what everyone else, who's coming from a 2010-14 Gen I thinks, but you people are the only ones I care about hearing from as you'd have the same experiences...My boys/Wife feel the exact same way, and I took my buddy with the 13 for a ride and he's ALL SET with upgrading...as in he'll wait...

Let me know, thanks.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Have you checked your tire pressure on the 2017?

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your tire pressure on the 2017?

Yes, 1st thing I did when I got home b/c Dealer had them way too high...Ford went down from 44 to 38 (I believe, off memory) which again to me means SOFTER ride, but yet, the ass end still bumps and hops over frost heaves, etc...I would think w/less PSI in all 4 tires that would be less of a case...

But that's why I am posting on here to see what others think/know/are experiencing...

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yes, 1st thing I did when I got home b/c Dealer had them way too high...Ford went down from 44 to 38 (I believe, off memory) which again to me means SOFTER ride, but yet, the ass end still bumps and hops over frost heaves, etc...I would think w/less PSI in all 4 tires that would be less of a case...

But that's why I am posting on here to see what others think/know/are experiencing...

Interesting, that seems to have been the change for other Gen 2ers complaining of similar road manners.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, that seems to have been the change for other Gen 2ers complaining of similar road manners.

Meaning what exactly...that they aired back up, or aired down to the "new" lower specs? And did they say they liked the results? Can you link me? Thanks.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Meaning what exactly...that they aired back up, or aired down to the "new" lower specs? And did they say they liked the results? Can you link me? Thanks.

They aired down slightly and it helped them out a bit.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score

They aired down slightly and it helped them out a bit.

What @Aaron said, the dealership had them set at 45+psi and they lowered down to 38psi and it took care of their issue.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I consider the brakes adequate, not great, but certainly not unsafe.

I too have experienced rear end hop on a hard surface, fairly hard cornering with an uneven road surface (pot holes). It has been a while since I've driven a truck and I figured it was the light rear end acting squirrelly. It only does this once in a while fairly aggressive road driving. At no time did I think I was not in control of the truck and it corrected itself pretty quickly.

Regardless, the truck handles far better than I could have hoped and I'm more than willing and capable of handling a bit of a skipping rear end once in a while. I doubt it will do the same on a dirt surface.

My tires are at 40 PSI, I may try them at 38 as well.

Last edited: