Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

yet another SPD Dyno Plot

This is a discussion on yet another SPD Dyno Plot within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
I really wonder if these adapters make a difference, seems like some say they do and others say they dont. ...

User Tag List

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I really wonder if these adapters make a difference, seems like some say they do and others say they dont. No firm consensus on whether or not they be but no harm in getting them right?

Last edited by jikjak; 01-12-2018 at 08:33 PM.
jikjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
A point of clarification:

did you dyno stock (no SPD) and then dyno with ONLY the SPD adapters?

Iím in at least partial agreement with @Gsteve, I doubt they hurt anything, but if you tuned and put the SPDís on at the same time, weíre only guessing if theyíre actually producing real world numbers.
Seems he did NOT which makes his claim nonsense data.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

So everybody's opinions on if they work/don't work are based on what? Solely what you think should work? Has anybody actually taken off the stock downpipes/adapters and looked at them? Maybe compare them to the SPD products?

The stock downpipes are stupid small and restrictive. The stock adapter has an even smaller outlet.

High Flow Turbo Exhaust Adapter [ADPT35R] - $119.95 : SPD Performance, For all your performance needs!

High Flow Turbo Exhaust Adapter : SPD Performance, For all your performance needs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6HLkuT-sCA

Dyno results sure show that they increase power.

I have no affiliation with SPD or any of their products.
Toadster likes this.
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Toadster View Post

but I live in Kommiefornia
I do too... and I have high flow cats on my McLaren, no cats on my GTR, etc etc. Who cares hahaha
Toadster, k-rub and bumwhine like this.
kpg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Seems he did NOT which makes his claim nonsense data.
Not necessarily. His installation of multiple changes at one time makes it very difficult to know what was contributed by the adapters, the tune and the combination of both. To clarify, the Ďtuneí means his entire tune package.

According to Whipple, their CAI is actually worth real hp, not smoke and mirrors and they assert they actually see HP from -just- their intercooler from the stage 1 package. If you break down their numbers for these component parts, allowing for some variation, you can end up with some understanding of what they may contribute based on his truckís results.

Itís not exact, but the numbers are what they are.
letís take Whipple at their word and face value.
I donít have the thread in front of me in which Whipple gives numbers theyíve seen, but, we have a hard / fast back t back from Toad
347 to 410 or 63 hp.

letís take 10 away for each CAI and Intercooler, thatís 43 hp left between the tune and the SPD adapters. But look at Toadís post here: yet another SPD Dyno Plot

note that his comparison truck peaks at 406hp, Toad peaks at 410, but his baseline is higher by over 20hp. Max tq are also similarly consistent on the tuned truck.

This suggests to me that Toad has a better baseline dyno run, not necessarily more power from the SPD adapters. Iím having a hard time rationalizing Toadís suggested +24 hp here based on the numbers at hand. Is it possible that he had better dyno conditions up front, possibly a weaker truck off the line and the SPD adapters compensated for an engine that was a few ponies under the curve? maybe. Or maybe he had closer to the Whipple test truck conditions and the spdís are worth a few ponies. If Whippleís claims are to be believed, and I have no reason to not believe them, then the SPD adapters donít hurt, but they arenít +24 hp. If this were a choke point in the exhaust, relieving that choke point would show significantly more power up top, not 5 hp. Another observation; Toadsterís truck has acquired a torque dip just after peak torque to about 4200 rpms compared to the other truck. It comes on earlier in the earlier dyno run, but torque hits max, then dips, then steadies out. The Whipple test mule curve is significantly smoothed but doesnít show evidence of this.

I think if @Toadster were campaigning a Black Raptor, which everyone knows by now is the fastest color Raptor, he would probably have seen another 9 or 10 hp.

@Toadsterís numbers arenít bunk, but they arenít definitive or conclusive. They are data points and provide a basis for at least some numerical data to use in considering the purchase and install of these adapters.
Toadster likes this.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Not necessarily. His installation of multiple changes at one time makes it very difficult to know what was contributed by the adapters, the tune and the combination of both. To clarify, the Ďtuneí means his entire tune package.

According to Whipple, their CAI is actually worth real hp, not smoke and mirrors and they assert they actually see HP from -just- their intercooler from the stage 1 package. If you break down their numbers for these component parts, allowing for some variation, you can end up with some understanding of what they may contribute based on his truckís results.

I donít have the thread in front of me in which Whipple gives numbers theyíve seen, but, we have a hard / fast back t back from Toad

347 to 410 or 63 hp.

letís take 10 away for each CAI and Intercooler, thatís 43 hp left between the tune and the SPD adapters. But look at Toadís post here: yet another SPD Dyno Plot

note that his comparison truck peaks at 406hp, Toad peaks at 410, but his baseline is higher by over 20hp. Max tq are also similarly consistent on the tuned truck.

This suggests to me that Toad has a better baseline dyno run, not necessarily more power from the SPD adapters. Iím having a hard time rationalizing Toadís suggested +24 hp here based on the numbers at hand. Is it possible that he had better dyno conditions up front, possibly a weaker truck off the line and the SPD adapters compensated for an engine that was a few ponies under the curve? maybe. Or maybe he had closer to the Whipple test truck conditions and the spdís are worth a few ponies. If Whippleís claims are to be believed, and I have no reason to not believe them, then the SPD adapters donít hurt, but they arenít +24 hp. If this were a choke point in the exhaust, relieving that choke point would show significantly more power up top, not 5 hp. Another observation; Toadsterís truck has acquired a torque dip just after peak torque to about 4200 rpms compared to the other truck. It comes on earlier in the earlier dyno run, but torque hits max, then dips, then steadies out. The Whipple test mule curve is significantly smoothed but doesnít show evidence of this.

I think if @Toadster were campaigning a Black Raptor, which everyone knows by now is the fastest color Raptor, he would probably have seen another 9 or 10 hp.

@Toadsterís numbers arenít bunk, but they arenít definitive or conclusive. They are data points and provide a basis for at least some numerical data to use in considering the purchase and install of these adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Full Access Member

347 to 410 or 63 hp.

His number ARE bunk. He is using two different trucks and extrapolating... You can not compare different dynos with different trucks on different days, sorry.

To clarify - he is using WHIPPLE's HP stock numbers on some random truck, getting an HP number then coming in with HIS truck, on a different day and getting another number. It's like measuring a football field with your feet.

Now, if he did a before SPD run then an after SPD run on the same day with the same dyno, then THOSE number would be meaningful.
Toadster likes this.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

I accept your apology, but itís not necessary, really ...

You are a glass half empty kind of guy.
Toad is a glass half full kind of guy.

I am a Ďwhere the f*** is my waitress, my glass needs refilledí kind of guy

Yes, you are right, heís extrapolating, but there is some numerical consistency in the results. At best, theyíre circumstantial evidence, but ... often times thatís more accurate than eyewitness testimony.

I know what youíre saying; different dyno runs, different days, different vehicles. Iíve got over 260 dyno runs, most bike runs, but I understand the limitations.

The dyno is a tool for measurement, in this case measuring the Ďworkí your vehicle can do illustrated through horsepower and torque.

speaking of glass needing refilled, thereís a bottle of Makers Mark Private Select calling...
Toadster likes this.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think the real reason to slap the adapters on is the improvement in the sound, but if you get a few extra ponies it is just icing on the cake. It is safe to say by this time any ponies gained are long deceased.
Toadster and smurfslayer like this.
Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Guy
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

I put them on.

They didn’t do anything to change my 0-60
Or 0-100 times. That’s proof in my pudding.
It also did not change my 30mph Roll on to 80 time.

Even if the dyno showed 5 horsepower somewhere in the curve.... it’s not doing anything in real life.

Thus my opinion they didn’t do anything.
Toadster likes this.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote