Why Tune your F150 Raptor ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick11

Reaction score
I genuinely believe in the right of owners of any vehicle to use it as they see fit.

I was the guy who had expensive rear-wheel drive cars which I would drive year round "13 BMW M5, Hellcat, etc.".

However I have to say as someone who has never owned a sports car and kept it stock, why would you buy these trucks and tune them to void warranty?

It already has a powerful ecoboost drivetrain, which makes me nervous about longevity and reliability in stock form Why would you add more pressure with aftermarket modifications?

I am fully versed in taking these risks with sports cars as they are just for fun. Yet with my Raptor, I tow, go 4x4ing in remote regions, etc. What matters to me regarding my trucks first and foremost is RELIABILITY.

Not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely interested in why people are taking risks voiding warranty and tuning these brand new expensive trucks.

Especially reading about some of the issues early adopters of the MPT tune faced...

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
If you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't do it.

If all of your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t assume modifications = reliability issues.

I have 15000 trouble free miles.

The truck in stock form is lazy on the power. It’s not going to wow your friends. It’s not going to smoke other trucks at the stop light.

A tune and some simple mods and the performance is UNREAL for a truck.

You know you did something right when you can break the tires loose over 50mph while passing. It’s a sub 5 second carnival cruise line.

That’s why. :)

I genuinely believe in the right of owners of any vehicle to use it as they see fit.

I was the guy who had expensive rear-wheel drive cars which I would drive year round "13 BMW M5, Hellcat, etc.".

However I have to say as someone who has never owned a sports car and kept it stock, why would you buy these trucks and tune them to void warranty?

It already has a powerful ecoboost drivetrain, which makes me nervous about longevity and reliability in stock form Why would you add more pressure with aftermarket modifications?

I am fully versed in taking these risks with sports cars as they are just for fun. Yet with my Raptor, I tow, go 4x4ing in remote regions, etc. What matters to me regarding my trucks first and foremost is RELIABILITY.

Not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely interested in why people are taking risks voiding warranty and tuning these brand new expensive trucks.

Especially reading about some of the issues early adopters of the MPT tune faced...

OP
OP
N

Nick11

Reaction score
Don’t assume modifications = reliability issues.

I have 15000 trouble free miles.

The truck in stock form is lazy on the power. It’s not going to wow your friends. It’s not going to smoke other trucks at the stop light.

A tune and some simple mods and the performance is UNREAL for a truck.

You know you did something right when you can break the tires loose over 50mph while passing. It’s a sub 5 second carnival cruise line.

That’s why. :)

Well by definition any tune will make the vehicle less reliable that is fact. However as per your point, that does not mean it will be "unreliable".

So basically your telling me a big reason is because the tunes make a BIG difference in these vehicles.

Yet I am assuming like it was with my Dodge, as soon as you tune the vehicle it throws a code that can be checked prior to performing any warranty work.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't do it.

If all of your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?

If your going to try to put forward a witty or clever response, at least read the Original Post well first.

It's not about my "comfort" doing it. As I mentioned in my post I have owned several expensive sports cars and modified every one.

Just with a truck the usecase is VERY different from a sports cars. I was just trying to get some honest feedback regarding why people tune these trucks.

Nice try tho....

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Well by definition any tune will make the vehicle less reliable that is fact. However as per your point, that does not mean it will be "unreliable".

So basically your telling me a big reason is because the tunes make a BIG difference in these vehicles.

Yet I am assuming like it was with my Dodge, as soon as you tune the vehicle it throws a code that can be checked prior to performing any warranty work.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

If your going to try to put forward a witty or clever response, at least read the Original Post well first.

It's not about my "comfort" doing it. As I mentioned in my post I have owned several expensive sports cars and modified every one.

Just with a truck the usecase is VERY different from a sports cars. I was just trying to get some honest feedback regarding why people tune these trucks.

Nice try tho....

I did read your original post. The truck is no different than any vehicle you've owned in the past. Use the truck how YOU want to use it, and modfiy it how YOU want to modify it. If you're worried about voiding your warranty, DON'T DO IT. It's simple.

If you read your first post, you'll realize how stupid it sounds.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you get the loud pop sound through the speakers when changing tunes on the Gen 2?

Some Gen 1 folks report this pop even with everything turned off as it should be during loading of tunes. I think some have referred to it as "popping the diode." Just curious...
R,
HAP

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to accept that you’re going to toast your warranty.

The difference in the performance of the truck
Would blow your mind.

Almost anything is going to feel “slow” after plowing around in a hellcat, but I promise you this.... it’ll feel a lot LESS slow with a few simple modifications. It’ll also be a lot more entertaining to drive.

I have a new timer coming to get some fresh numbers, but I think on a good day on a flat dry street.... I’m good for a 4.6 60. Stock you are about a second off that mark. That doesn’t even cover the fact that the truck completely wakes up on the highway over 65mph.... then there is the lazy throttle and transmission that is greatly improved.

If I gave you 15 minutes behind the wheel of my truck, you’d be throwing your warranty in the garbage. ;-)

Nice try tho....

OP
OP
N

Nick11

Reaction score
You have to accept that you’re going to toast your warranty.

The difference in the performance of the truck
Would blow your mind.

Almost anything is going to feel “slow” after plowing around in a hellcat, but I promise you this.... it’ll feel a lot LESS slow with a few simple modifications. It’ll also be a lot more entertaining to drive.

I have a new timer coming to get some fresh numbers, but I think on a good day on a flat dry street.... I’m good for a 4.6 60. Stock you are about a second off that mark. That doesn’t even cover the fact that the truck completely wakes up on the highway over 65mph.... then there is the lazy throttle and transmission that is greatly improved.

If I gave you 15 minutes behind the wheel of my truck, you’d be throwing your warranty in the garbage. ;-)

Thanks for the constructive response.

MPT's numbers quote almost 150 ft/lbs increase over stock with their tunes... Seams hard to believe, although on there had been somewhat similar gains on just tunes with the BMW M5/M6 X5M "4.4L TT V8".

Why did Ford design these trucks with such poor throttle responses stock ? Something to do with Off-Roading capability ?

Why did Ford leave soo much HP & Torque on the table with their 3.5 ecoboost, is it emissions and fuel economy related ?

Whenever I see such easy gains with simple mods I always like to ask these questions.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is the throttle lazy?

Drivability for the masses. Off-road friendliness. Etc.

As to why they left so much power on the table? Longevity? Sure. Engineering design specs? Sure. Emissions? Sure.

MPT’s numbers are accurate.

When I tell you the different is outrageous.... you just can’t know until you try.

Thanks for the constructive response.

MPT's numbers quote almost 150 ft/lbs increase over stock with their tunes... Seams hard to believe, although on there had been somewhat similar gains on just tunes with the BMW M5/M6 X5M "4.4L TT V8".

Why did Ford design these trucks with such poor throttle responses stock ? Something to do with Off-Roading capability ?

Why did Ford leave soo much HP & Torque on the table with their 3.5 ecoboost, is it emissions and fuel economy related ?

Whenever I see such easy gains with simple mods I always like to ask these questions.