GEN 2 Why does the Ford GT sound so much better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
Doesn't the Raptor basically use the same engine? why does it not sound nearly as good as the new Ford GT no matter what aftermarket exhaust system is used?

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the GT is also mid-engine therefore it has completely different exhaust system (pipe length and design) than what is on our Raptors.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say that I have ever heard the ford GT in person. For me the sound that a vehicle makes it less important than performance and appearance. I suppose that I get why it matters to some. Hearing the turbos spool is pretty cool I suppose. I personally like the sound of roasted tires too. I do have a devil on my shoulder that keeps telling me that I would care about the sound of the new Shelby GT 500. Even though it is not available yet I can hear the rumored supercharged engine calling me. "buy me" Or will it be twin turbos whistling at me. "buy me"

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely NOT the same engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raptors 3.5L is roughly $7,000 the 2017 GT's 3.5L is well north of $36,000. I mean $450,000 out the door is not all carbon fiber

Update: 2017 Ford GT Supercar will have 630HP, weigh 2,890 lbs and cost $397,500 – the best power-to-weight-ratio of any car, ever | HorsepowerKings.com

Let me clean this thread up.

First its the same block and heads as our engine.

The 36k$ price you posted is extremely skewed. First that's referencing the old engine and includes labor. Also our turbos cost roughly 500$ (each). The GT has a set of 2.5k$ turbos (each) hanging off of it contributing to any price difference between the two otherwise extremely similar engines.

The GT sounds better because of exhaust length and because it has a Helmholtz resonator. No freaking clue why no one here has tried one yet. Its used to reduce rasp on equal length manifolds on subarus, Hondas and porsches.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just quoting the article. the price was for a 2006 GT engine.

I've seen the 2017 GT engine being claimed at $90,000 but no proof to confirm that.
And it's only the block that's shared, I cannot confirm the heads.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just quoting the article. the price was for a 2006 GT engine.

I've seen the 2017 GT engine being claimed at $90,000 but no proof to confirm that.
And it's only the block that's shared, I cannot confirm the heads.

heads are the same. It was fords first DI and PI combined engine. One of the largest differences from the f150 gen1 EB engine. Theres a reason new pistons, rods and turbos on a raptor make 600+whp all day.

Last edited:

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@reaper1441 pretty much nailed it.

The foundation is the same, but the parallel ends there. In order to qualify for Le Mans, Ford had to take an already mass produced engine and 'beef' it up. The result is what you see you in the GT.

Though the configuration found in the current GT isn't a massed produced engine, it is a production engine, albeit more exotic (as Ford was required to produce a minimum number of consumer GT vehicles to cement their entry for Le Mans).

There's a great documentary on Amazon Prime Video called "The Return" documenting Ford's rush to compete (spoiler, they win) in the 50th anniversary of the GT using the V6TT at Le Mans.

As an aside, I also recommend the "24 Hour War" (also on Prime) documenting Ford's three year run of the original GT against Ferrari in Le Mans.

Last edited: