Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Who is interested in a Whipple Stage 1 Group Buy?

This is a discussion on Who is interested in a Whipple Stage 1 Group Buy? within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!

View Poll Results: interested in whipple stage1?
YES 34 75.56%
NOPE 10 22.22%
WTH? 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by xBryanHoodsx View Post
Did whipple tell you it doesn’t affect the warranty ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrnYnojM7-I

Toadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
So you are baseing it off the two retards that thought putting a 4in fabtech drop bracket lift on a raptor was a good idea
$nake Eater likes this.
xBryanHoodsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by xBryanHoodsx View Post
So you are baseing it off the two retards that thought putting a 4in fabtech drop bracket lift on a raptor was a good idea
no the guy in the video talking about the Whipple Stage 1 kit @ 4:21

Last edited by Toadster; 11-11-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)
up to 15 interested

Old 11-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default Mileage
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Just installed mine two days ago. Easy install and very smooth power delivery. Wakes this truck up a ton. Love it so far!
Hi, I am interested in this install. How does this install affect the gas mileage? As expected, if you are into the pedal gas mileage will decrease, but for a long distance highway drive if 18 mpg is the base, how much does the whipple stage 1 affect mpg? Thanks
Toadster likes this.

image98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Hi, I am interested in this install. How does this install affect the gas mileage? As expected, if you are into the pedal gas mileage will decrease, but for a long distance highway drive if 18 mpg is the base, how much does the whipple stage 1 affect mpg? Thanks
there are some folks on here who have the setup...

IMHO if you've got more power and requires less fuel to move you forward you 'should' get better MPG

given more breathability with bigger IC which keeps temps lower and the freer flowing intake it 'should' result in better MPG

with all that - if you HOON when you're not cruising, it's not going to save you anything ;) LOL

Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default Whipple Stage 1 MPG?
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
there are some folks on here who have the setup...

IMHO if you've got more power and requires less fuel to move you forward you 'should' get better MPG

given more breathability with bigger IC which keeps temps lower and the freer flowing intake it 'should' result in better MPG

with all that - if you HOON when you're not cruising, it's not going to save you anything ;) LOL
My thoughts exactly. Improved efficiency and intake breathability should increase MPG under light loads and cruising. However, the engine is an air pump and where there is more air, the tune pumps in more gas and this is where the additional horsepower is created. An aftermarket and improved air intake can provide an additional 15-20 hp with improved air flow, but the extra 80 horsepower on this tune must come from burning more fuel? Curious to see feedback from real world owners and drivers.
Toadster likes this.

image98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Improved efficiency and intake breathability should increase MPG under light loads and cruising. However, the engine is an air pump and where there is more air, the tune pumps in more gas and this is where the additional horsepower is created. An aftermarket and improved air intake can provide an additional 15-20 hp with improved air flow, but the extra 80 horsepower on this tune must come from burning more fuel? Curious to see feedback from real world owners and drivers.
yes the tune adds more fuel at improved rates compared to stock... the intercooler is larger which keeps the intake charge cooler - cooler air = more power :)

Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I have the Whipple kit and been running it a couple weeks now. The truck is a beast. It feels like it has more torque off idle until the power really kicks in above 3K RPM, even though the Whipple dyne graph didn’t show gains that low. The real power comes on at about 3K and keeps pulling harder and harder until about 6K and it shifts. Its 0-60 is right around 5.0Sec now.

I believe they adjusted the transmission too. With all the extra torque, the truck doesn’t downshift as much when you punch it, it just kinda pulls up like a diesel until the horsepower kicks in at a higher RPM. Sport mode was really smooth at first, but I guess my transmission learned and now it hits a little hard sometimes.

I drive my truck hard regularly, but now even more so to fell the extra power kick in. All in all, with mixed driving the mileage is about the same, but if you were just romping on it all the time maybe then about 1 mpg worse.

The intake gave the engine nose a semi deeper sound, not different but a little louder (when your on it) and deeper. I don’t hear turbo spool so much per say but you can hear is gasping in large amounts of air.

Conclusion: I like the kit and am happy with my purchase. I was without my truck and in a rental car for a week being the days that shipping the PCM fell on. The truck feels factory but more torque on bottom and the horses hitting on the top. I think the MPT tune is faster judging from people with that tunes reactions, but I feel comfortable with having a max power tune that is still safe in all situations. I can not tell you if you need the intercooler or the CAI but do it right and be done with it.

One more thing. I was running a Pedal Commander before the Whipple kit. I sold it while my truck was without the computer. Now with the Whipple kit, it has the same response as with the PC, but not as touchy (I ran my PC on the 1st setting up from stock). PC will not be needed with a tune.

"I have not dyno’d the truck."
MTF, Toadster and image98 like this.

Last edited by TheProcessoperator; 11-13-2017 at 05:38 PM.
TheProcessoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #30 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default One Owner's Opinion on the Whipple Stage 1 Kit
If you are waiting for Ford Performance to come out keep waiting....I did my research, asked the folks at Raptor Assault/FP about the Whipple Stage 1 kit. They were very impressed with the results. Custom builders like Shelby and Steeda are using the Stage 1 Kit with a warranty as well.

I drove to Whipple (from Socal) and had them add the their tune to my PCM. I drove it home then installed the Intercooler and CAI. The extra power and torque is perfect. I have taken my Raptor to Dumont Dunes and did a high 13 sec 1/4 mile at the Fontana Drags since I added the Kit. No issues or CELs.

Happy that I did not wait for FP and went with Whipple.
ericburney is offline   Reply With Quote