White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Has anyone had any issues with truck smoking after extended idle? I have an 18 Raptor, no programmer or anything performance wise done yet. I was idling waiting for my son for about an hour today in 80 ish degree weather, 10% humidity. When I left, the truck poured out white smoke for about 1-1/2 miles at 40-45 mph. No noticeable performance difference. I drove about 8 miles home at 50-65 mph and pulled into my garage. No warning lights, no low oil pressure or high temps. All fluid levels normal. No visible leaks or old fluid marks on underside of truck. Plan to take it into Ford in the morning for check and change all fluids. Truck has 7600 miles and went full synthetic for first change at 5000 miles.
Any idea what the issue could be?
Thanks in advance.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me on my ‘18 as well.

4500 miles, just went full synthetic. Let truck idle and warm up longer then normal, took off, and white smoke started pouring out of the rear passenger exhaust pipe.

Pulled over to side of the road to inspect.. white smoke was barely coming out at idle. No CEL’s, warnings, power loss, etc and it went away after about a mile.

Kind of seems like a preemptive turbo failure on that side maybe? Not sure but it doesn’t seem to have happened again since.

OP
OP
WestTXRaptor6

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. Sounds like mine only I am not sure if it was coming from both sides or just driver's side. It was very visible in my side mirror, but back window is very dark so it was hard to see it.
Leaving on hunting trip in Raptor on Friday and now I am not sure I will take it.
Thanks for the feedback. Will post up if I find out anything.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look on YouTube, lots of complaining from 3.5L Ecoboost owners about this white smoke. Starting way back when they first came out.

Repman

Reaction score
My Raptor just started doing this smoking thing this past weekend after idling about 20min. I am currently at 9,600 miles in Midland Tx. Have you found anything out about it yet? It is a crazy amount of smoke that this thing puts out.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So much good news....
Mine is in the shop at 175 mikes... I just called for an update “ yea we going going to tear into the engine right away , might be a valve not working”!