Whipple tune only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
He says that this whipple tune will be exactly what Ford releases. Many are waiting for a Ford tune so that warranty can be maintained.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When i called he said they had no dyno run with tune only. The expected number was about 15% less than the full stage 1 kit.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i called he said they had no dyno run with tune only. The expected number was about 15% less than the full stage 1 kit.

Someone help me with this logic. Are the posted runs from Whipple first runs or "cold" runs? If so, that would mean the intercooler isn't in play as the run isn't heat soaked. Would that also mean that a Whipple tuned Raptor gets 15% of its posted dyno'd Hp/Tq from CAI only? That would also mean that if one already had an aftermarket CAI, then a Whipple/Ford tune without an intercooler would be closer to 100% of advertised dyno on cold runs.

(Meaning if you have a CAI without intercooler, you can make advertised Whipple Stage 1 numbers with a Whipple only tune)

Maybe my modus ponens is a bit off as 15% seems like a big number for a tune increase with just adding a CAI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone help me with this logic. Are the posted runs from Whipple first runs or "cold" runs? If so, that would mean the intercooler isn't in play as the run isn't heat soaked. Would that also mean that a Whipple tuned Raptor gets 15% of its posted dyno'd Hp/Tq from CAI only? That would also mean that if one already had an aftermarket CAI, then a Whipple/Ford tune without an intercooler would be closer to 100% of advertised dyno on cold runs.

(Meaning if you have a CAI without intercooler, you can make advertised Whipple Stage 1 numbers with a Whipple only tune)

Maybe my modus ponens is a bit off as 15% seems like a big number for a tune increase with just adding a CAI.

Dont quote the 15% , he gave me numbers , they were less than the stage 1 but he said them quickly. He followed that up with " we dont have dyno runs tho".
It would make sense they would dial it back some.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You’re out of luck with the whipple tune.

There isn’t a return to stock option and it imbeds itself deeply into the ecu

It’s the only reason I haven’t tried it. I’d lose my other tunes

If you request a stock tune, we send it. Our Tomahawk instructions state this, if stock tune is needed, request and we will send in 24-48 hours. But if you a custom tune, you would be better of returning to stock so you can keep that cal if needed.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Our dyno runs were in the heat of our miserable Fresno summer. The outside temp was 93, dyno room temp was 98, starting temp for the run was 111 (IAT).

The intercooler makes more power by itself, cool or hot. By itself, we saw on average 15 ft/lbs and 10hp. Nothing you can really feel but helps hold more consistent on the road where temps creep up.

The air intake also helps make a bit more. The calibration of course is the biggest key to the power gains.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The intercooler makes more power by itself, cool or hot. By itself, we saw on average 15 ft/lbs and 10hp. Nothing you can really feel but helps hold more consistent on the road where temps creep up.

Thanks, there have been conflicting statements about how an intercooler only "keeps" power and doesn't make it. Glad you cleared that up.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you request a stock tune, we send it. Our Tomahawk instructions state this, if stock tune is needed, request and we will send in 24-48 hours. But if you a custom tune, you would be better of returning to stock so you can keep that cal if needed.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Our dyno runs were in the heat of our miserable Fresno summer. The outside temp was 93, dyno room temp was 98, starting temp for the run was 111 (IAT).

The air intake also helps make a bit more. The calibration of course is the biggest key to the power gains.

Nice to see WHIPPLE here !!! Thanks for that.