GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dd07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info but it’s total crap on Ford’s part.

So they make thousands of changes because their finished product wasn’t really finished....

And do they bother to tell ANYONE.... “hey we have updated the software, come get your FREE ECU UPDATE”????

NO.

Heck.... maybe with an updated flash the transmission would behave appropriately from the factory.

It’s crap... I’m calling Ford Performance and complaining.

Not that i have any authority on "tuning stuff", but generically speaking, your call will likely go unanswered on the basis of stopping ECU (or any other) updates made by the manufacturer.
They would say (or think) that any product - car, truck or your phone - may likely to undergo numerous unannounced software updates, maybe even "over-the-air".
Maybe your best bet would be to disable both Wi-Fi and cellular in the truck as well as explicitly opting out from any "SW updates" at the dealership with each visit.

Just my two cents on how i see Ford's approach here

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F150 and Raptor stage 1 systems couples the Whipple Mega Cooler, roto molded high velocity cold air intake and industry leading custom calibration to make an amazing 150* foot pounds of torque and 70* horsepower more than stock. Even better, at 3500rpm, the system produces over 180 foot pounds of torque over stock giving more power under the curve for incredible throttle response.

Here's my question- I've read this a few times and don't understand if the torque increase is 150 or 180. What am I missing ere?

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at peak, it could be 150 over stock. But at 3500rpm, it is 180 over stock they are saying. Tuners normally tout the peak gains, which would be 150 in their case.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Maybe it is just the dyno reading, but their chart on the website doesn't match up with that from what I can tell. Probably just variances due to temperature and different pulls/machines.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the tune is great

But in all fairness, there's no way it's making 150-180 ftlbs of torque more then stock

Thats whipple basically doing some napkin math for the crank HP and not wheel HP.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to get their truck with Whipple kit and get it on the dyno and settle all this. I may be game to drive down to MPT and dyno it.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s step back a moment.

Does it really matter? Whipple is selling a product that consists of a high quality intercooler, CAI that many people want and like, and a tune that produces significant gains over stock.

You’re talking about a finished package that offers very little downside with a truck that is able to dash to 60 in the low 5 second range. (No I’m not counting a brake booster launch. I’m talking real world, rolling on the gas from a traffic light.)

It’s not the fastest. It’s not the most aggressive. This is true by their own admission. Are you really worried about a couple tenths of a second in a flat out 0-60 run? Unless you line up against me.... you probably wouldn’t ever know.

If MPT wasn’t so incredible I would have done whipple too. I still might I’m fact if they answer my question about flashing... just to try it for fun and comparison.. not actually keep it loaded. It’s worth a few hundred bucks.

Someone needs to get their truck with Whipple kit and get it on the dyno and settle all this. I may be game to drive down to MPT and dyno it.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Whipple because it’s a complete package, and as far as I can tell it’s backed by Ford performance. My CONCERN is if Whipple will contact the ones that bought their kit with UPDATES for their tune ?

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty much got confirmation that Ford engineers are behind these tunes like we suspected. My email from Whipple.

“I dont know exactly what was changed

I was told that they were going to re-enable the shutters for outside air temps below 30 degrees they had shut them off completely

we had a guy in Canada with a misfire problem at wot in extreme cold 20 below so they did a little adjustment for that so depending on how cold it is it might be a little weaker than before in low temps

they said there was a bunch of Ford updates that would help the transmission so sounds like that worked

will have the engineer look at the log and see what he says

they didnt say it would be weaker with the new file.”

Our Ford based calibrations are done by Ford calibration engineers, this has been since 2004.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

How do we get the updated tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Email just like the time you got the first cal.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Some great info... why would ford chop the power in extreme cold?

Not chopping power, holding consistent power. As temp drops, power goes up, too much power and you exceed fuel system capacity, cylinder pressure limits, etc. The difference between 70deg F to -30F is over 60% more power. We normally only test to 0deg F but some have been driving WOT in negative weather. I do have to say that's a first for us so we came up some changes to the stock shutter system to help control power in the freezing conditions.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

I appreciate the info but it’s total crap on Ford’s part.

So they make thousands of changes because their finished product wasn’t really finished....

And do they bother to tell ANYONE.... “hey we have updated the software, come get your FREE ECU UPDATE”????

NO.

Heck.... maybe with an updated flash the transmission would behave appropriately from the factory.

It’s crap... I’m calling Ford Performance and complaining.

All OEM's update/refine calibrations while the vehicle is out in the field. I do our Dodge cals, for each model, each year, there's 5-10 cals and they multiply like gremlins in water. One issue all OEM's have now, the emission standards and technology have to go so fast now that they don't have time to do what they use to do. So they change more after shipment. Then when you go into service, the PCM gets updated.

In the very near future, the over the air flashing will begin to streamline this, not good for any performance enthusiast.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

I like Whipple because it’s a complete package, and as far as I can tell it’s backed by Ford performance. My CONCERN is if Whipple will contact the ones that bought their kit with UPDATES for their tune ?

Were not actively contacting customers to let them know we have an update. The base cal, which has been out for more than 12 months now works incredibly well.