GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it skips the gears, it's usually pretty smooth. This shifting feels like it is gaining momentum in 3rd gear, then lags out in 4th and slows the truck down, then when it shifts into 5th gear it picks back up again. It's a strong enough lag that you can see it while the truck is driving and everybody inside feels it.

In normal mode the truck will skip gears if you aren't driving it too hard, like 2-5, 5-7. This might be what you're feeling sometimes

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it skips the gears, it's usually pretty smooth. This shifting feels like it is gaining momentum in 3rd gear, then lags out in 4th and slows the truck down, then when it shifts into 5th gear it picks back up again. It's a strong enough lag that you can see it while the truck is driving and everybody inside feels it.

That's weird, I cant say i've ever had that happen before

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup, this exactly.

joejenie

Reaction score
Install in Southeast Phoenix

Looking at having this discussed Wipple system installed on my new Raptor I just picked up last weekend. Looking for someone to install it in the southeast Phoenix area? Or just have the dealer (Berge Ford) do the install? Anything other than the kit and new spark plugs I need to look into? I have zero mechanical abilities, so I need someone that knows what they are doing that I can trust. TIA.

joejenie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the company in Gilbert. Looked at their website and it looks like they are AFE power products, not the Whipple product discussed here. Any ideas on pros and cons? TIA

vladi

Reaction score
After close to 1k miles on my whipple stage 1 setup I managed to get the check engine light to come on after flooring the truck in 4A from a dead stop. I eased off right away and after a minute the check engine light went away. I am trying to trouble shoot what that could of been, I was keeping an eye on the knock sensor and did not see it go into the negatives, but the engine felt differently like it lost power. I only get shell vpower 91 ( California ). I am still using stock plugs but gapped to whipple specs. Anyone else experience this? I am trying to pull the engine code with my odb tool and then with the whipple one and will post back here once I do. Thanks.

JeremyFXDWG

Reaction score

Very accurate description. This is also driving me crazy. 3-4 actually got worse after the January update.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not good to hear Jeremy. I am thinking of requesting the stock tune from Whipple to try and trouble shoot this. It seems to have gotten a little better, but is still pretty annoying.

On a good note, I paired up with a Focus RS tonight and took him by a couple of car lengths. I kept the distance and slightly gained some space up to about 115 before I figured enough was enough.
Did some 0-60 estimates and it seems like I'm right around 5 seconds with about 2K RPM engine braking, but it's hard to gauge without the right equipment.
I got behind a Cherokee SRT that stepped on it and I stayed with him pretty well, but up at the higher RPM's in 3rd and 4th he pulled away as the truck thought about how to shift.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the performance, and I've been playing some with the paddle shifters but need to practice a little more. The second and a half lag between shifting and engaging is taking some getting used to.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not good to hear Jeremy. I am thinking of requesting the stock tune from Whipple to try and trouble shoot this. It seems to have gotten a little better, but is still pretty annoying.

On a good note, I paired up with a Focus RS tonight and took him by a couple of car lengths. I kept the distance and slightly gained some space up to about 115 before I figured enough was enough.
Did some 0-60 estimates and it seems like I'm right around 5 seconds with about 2K RPM engine braking, but it's hard to gauge without the right equipment.
I got behind a Cherokee SRT that stepped on it and I stayed with him pretty well, but up at the higher RPM's in 3rd and 4th he pulled away as the truck thought about how to shift.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the performance, and I've been playing some with the paddle shifters but need to practice a little more. The second and a half lag between shifting and engaging is taking some getting used to.

Put the truck into SPORT mode before paddle shifting, they happen much quicker for some reason, more like a PDK or a nail gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk