GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the waste gates rattle -very common

I don't think it is the waste gate, I read up on that an my symptoms are much different. I posted a thread in the general forum with a video of the vibration. I've gotten a couple of ideas from there to discuss with the dealership. It's pretty embarrassing having a truck like this that has temp tags and sounds like it is falling apart.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it is the waste gate, I read up on that an my symptoms are much different. I posted a thread in the general forum with a video of the vibration. I've gotten a couple of ideas from there to discuss with the dealership. It's pretty embarrassing having a truck like this that has temp tags and sounds like it is falling apart.

sounds like this...

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/metallic-front-end-rattle-issue-57005/

$7 fix
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tube-fl3z3a788a

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After waiting over two months, I have finally received the mythical beast also known as "stock tune" from Whipple.

Reverted it to stock intake and tune to take it in a week from now to have the TCM/PCM strategy updated. Still having delayed/harsh shifts but they are much more apparent when tuned. Saw a TSB stating certain 2017's produced before August (I think) needed updated for these symptoms, but mine is a 2018 and feels exactly how others were describing. Anyone with a 2018 care to post the strategy they are running?

Mine currently:
TCM - Transmission Control Module
Part number: JL3A-12B565-PA
Strategy : JL3A-14C337-UF
Total Distance: 7314.0 km

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: JL3A-12A650-APA
Strategy : PKFK3B3_1-1_STK
Hardware type: HL3A-12B684-AYB

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock tune # of file

After waiting over two months, I have finally received the mythical beast also known as "stock tune" from Whipple.

Reverted it to stock intake and tune to take it in a week from now to have the TCM/PCM strategy updated. Still having delayed/harsh shifts but they are much more apparent when tuned. Saw a TSB stating certain 2017's produced before August (I think) needed updated for these symptoms, but mine is a 2018 and feels exactly how others were describing. Anyone with a 2018 care to post the strategy they are running?

Mine currently:

I’m on my 3 attempt from whipple for a stock file that will download, no luck

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I re-read through most of this thread and saw back where you were describing an odd shift between 3 & 4. I'm getting this as well about 50-60% of the time, especially when in normal mode and driving around town. I figure I would give the truck time to "learn" a little more, and if it didn't go away I would pull the negative for 15 minutes and start the thought process over again.

I was also getting a little odd shifting between 8th and 9th, but that seems to have worked itself out. The 3/4 shift seems to be getting a little better as time goes on too. It almost seems like 4th gear is a little too short of a window, so it shifts in and wants to shift out right away but ends up having a lag between the two. I notice it more on upshifting more than downshifting, but it does happen both ways. Sometimes when it feels smooth, it almost seems like it just completely skipped 4th and went straight to 5th.

Glad you are finally getting it worked out, I'll be keeping an eye on your updates. Is the 3/4 shifting the main reason you wanted to go back to stock, or was there something else I missed?

Mine currently:

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Took a road trip this weekend, 356 miles each way. On the way down, we got in a row of faster moving cars, and I was in the middle of the group. I went to pass a slower vehicle, and at around 80-85mph with increasing speed and RPM, I heard what sounded like a gunshot in front of the firewall and the truck stuttered and had a hard time gaining and maintaining speed. I was able to complete the pass (had to with another car coming in hot behind me), but I let everybody pass and turned off at the next opportunity. No codes thrown, and no boost being made. My initial thought was that I blew the turbo's, but it ended up being the hoses on both ends of the intercooler. It appears as if the dealership may not have tightened them well enough when they did the install.
13619-blew-whipple-intercooler-tubes-both-sides-about-85mph-under-higher-rpms-while-passing-another-vehicle-sounded-like-gunshot-ran-like-4-cylinder-toyota-afterwards-no-codes-thrown-no-apparent-issues-caused.jpg

The dealership that I took the truck to the next day did the fix as a courtesy for me. I was pretty shocked, and slipped the mechanic a nice tip for some lunch money. They said they weren't overly impressed with the clamps that are provided by Whipple. My hopes are that they are sufficient, just may not have been tightened well enough initially.

I am getting an odd shift at 3/4/5, but it seems to be getting a little better. It feels like 4th gear is too small of a window and it already starts to shift out of it as it is shifting into it.

Here is my details for the trip back home. We went through a pretty heavy sleet storm for the first 1/2 of the trip, so we were moving along around 55-60 at times. I was able to kick it up some towards the end of the trip as the roads dried out. There was a fatality on the road Friday night due to somebody sliding across the road into an oncoming Jeep, and we saw a pretty bad wreck coming home today too. The math equated to about a 65mph average for 5&1/2 hours. I'll take this gas mileage any day.
13616-whipple-stage-1-road-trip.jpg

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ArcticRaptor,

Ya, the 3/4/5 shift is the main reason I am taking the truck in. Hopefully an update smooths out these issues as I already did a relearn by doing a reset via FORScan. I wish Whipple would do their own transmission tuning like some of the other tunes do, or Ford needs to get with Chevy and get some of the secret sauce they used in the ZL1. I test drove one of them about 6 months ago and the 10 speed was phenomenal.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock tune file

Success, got my stock tune file . Whipple is figuring out all the glitches !
I’ve got 8,000 miles on my performance tune , no problems!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ArcticRaptor,

Ya, the 3/4/5 shift is the main reason I am taking the truck in. Hopefully an update smooths out these issues as I already did a relearn by doing a reset via FORScan. I wish Whipple would do their own transmission tuning like some of the other tunes do, or Ford needs to get with Chevy and get some of the secret sauce they used in the ZL1. I test drove one of them about 6 months ago and the 10 speed was phenomenal.

you've gotta remember that the inertia differences between a variable 2wd, awd, 4wd setup versus plain RWD on the camaro... plus we have 100lbs weights at all 4 corners, where the camaro tire/wheel combos are at least 1/2 that weight as well...

totally different torque limiting values, etc...

everyone wishes they could have lightning quick shifts (like in the camaro) until everyone starts snapping 1/2 shafts :ROFLJest:

Grizlbits

Reaction score
More Whipple stage 1 feedback
Mileage @80 = 16.5 mpg - just the truck

Towing a 26' long 8.5' wide aluminum v-nose @ about 5000# with cargo
@ 75 mph against a 15 mph headwind = 6.0 mpg. Sheesh.
@ 65 mph against a 15 mph headwind = 9.0 mpg. not terrible
The faster you go while towing makes a HUGE difference.

The truck tows great even with the big tires, was smoother ride than my diesel. However the diesel gets about 9.5 mpg in the same situation.

The Raptor gets the job done towing. It has plenty of power, it is stable, and rides smooth compared to the diesel F250, crew cab long box. Just plan on extra time for gas stops.

BTW, Fords mileage calculator is about .5 mpg optimistic every time I check it (on all three of my Fords).

Last edited:

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I re-read through most of this thread and saw back where you were describing an odd shift between 3 & 4. I'm getting this as well about 50-60% of the time, especially when in normal mode and driving around town. I figure I would give the truck time to "learn" a little more, and if it didn't go away I would pull the negative for 15 minutes and start the thought process over again.

I was also getting a little odd shifting between 8th and 9th, but that seems to have worked itself out. The 3/4 shift seems to be getting a little better as time goes on too. It almost seems like 4th gear is a little too short of a window, so it shifts in and wants to shift out right away but ends up having a lag between the two. I notice it more on upshifting more than downshifting, but it does happen both ways. Sometimes when it feels smooth, it almost seems like it just completely skipped 4th and went straight to 5th.

Glad you are finally getting it worked out, I'll be keeping an eye on your updates. Is the 3/4 shifting the main reason you wanted to go back to stock, or was there something else I missed?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Took a road trip this weekend, 356 miles each way. On the way down, we got in a row of faster moving cars, and I was in the middle of the group. I went to pass a slower vehicle, and at around 80-85mph with increasing speed and RPM, I heard what sounded like a gunshot in front of the firewall and the truck stuttered and had a hard time gaining and maintaining speed. I was able to complete the pass (had to with another car coming in hot behind me), but I let everybody pass and turned off at the next opportunity. No codes thrown, and no boost being made. My initial thought was that I blew the turbo's, but it ended up being the hoses on both ends of the intercooler. It appears as if the dealership may not have tightened them well enough when they did the install.
13619-blew-whipple-intercooler-tubes-both-sides-about-85mph-under-higher-rpms-while-passing-another-vehicle-sounded-like-gunshot-ran-like-4-cylinder-toyota-afterwards-no-codes-thrown-no-apparent-issues-caused.jpg

The dealership that I took the truck to the next day did the fix as a courtesy for me. I was pretty shocked, and slipped the mechanic a nice tip for some lunch money. They said they weren't overly impressed with the clamps that are provided by Whipple. My hopes are that they are sufficient, just may not have been tightened well enough initially.

I am getting an odd shift at 3/4/5, but it seems to be getting a little better. It feels like 4th gear is too small of a window and it already starts to shift out of it as it is shifting into it.

Here is my details for the trip back home. We went through a pretty heavy sleet storm for the first 1/2 of the trip, so we were moving along around 55-60 at times. I was able to kick it up some towards the end of the trip as the roads dried out. There was a fatality on the road Friday night due to somebody sliding across the road into an oncoming Jeep, and we saw a pretty bad wreck coming home today too. The math equated to about a 65mph average for 5&1/2 hours. I'll take this gas mileage any day.
13616-whipple-stage-1-road-trip.jpg

In normal mode the truck will skip gears if you aren't driving it too hard, like 2-5, 5-7. This might be what you're feeling sometimes