GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trucks are hot without a tune.

With a tune they are hotter.

You can bring those coolant numbers down about 10 degrees and stabilize the amount of fluctuating by adding Water Wetter to the radiator. 1 bottle.

Am I seriously saying that??? I did it on a whim months ago and it absolutely did the above.

Straight water cools better than anti-freeze. Water wetter just adds lubricants and corrosion inhibitors. Adding water wetter to anti-freeze is pointless. Running your engine on straight water off track is pointless.

Lastly, I have towed 10,000 pounds up 6% grades and nothing changed temperate wise. These engines aren't going to run hotter on a tune around town unless the cooling fan profile has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re wrong.

Water wetter decreases the surface tension of the coolant thereby eliminating tiny microscopic bubbles and assuring there is maximal contact between the fluid and the radiator. This increases the surface area that is exposed to the cooling coils of the radiator which makes the cooling process more efficient. I also have objective data and logs that proved the difference.

The only thing you’re right about is water cooling better than antifreeze.

I love how some people on here spout things off like they are an authority.

Straight water cools better than anti-freeze. Water wetter just adds lubricants and corrosion inhibitors. Adding water wetter to anti-freeze is pointless. Running your engine on straight water off track is pointless.

Lastly, I have towed 10,000 pounds up 6% grades and nothing changed temperate wise. These engines aren't going to run hotter on a tune around town unless the cooling fan profile has changed.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I have seen diesel equipment run fine on antifreeze that wouldn't cool on water. Wonder what is going on

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just laughing here because these are trucks, that don't go on race tracks and run WOT for long periods of time... Any additives won't make a single difference. Even if they change anything by a few degrees will never matter - because the trucks will run fine and are not driven in any way the factory cooling system will be affected or not be able to cool efficiently.

Now, change your turbos and up the boost- absolutely.

Stock... Tune it, drive it as hard as you want- and have a good time. Only cooling upgrade you need is a new intercooler.

Lots of overthinking here.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to go between San Diego and EL Centro daily and one year it was 119 degrees and the truck hit the shut down due to coolant temp (225)deg, I got some Diesel water water and put it in and the next Monday it was 119 again and same 75,000lb load and it never went above 210. So on diesels it works great like I said and I have the Scientific proof to back it up. :).

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude you’re wrong.

On a 95 degree day I was hitting 220s and almost 230. Little more and I’d be spitting antifreeze.

Added a bottle. I rarely hit 215.

I'm just laughing here because these are trucks, that don't go on race tracks and run WOT for long periods of time... Any additives won't make a single difference. Even if they change anything by a few degrees will never matter - because the trucks will run fine and are not driven in any way the factory cooling system will be affected or not be able to cool efficiently.

Now, change your turbos and up the boost- absolutely.

Stock... Tune it, drive it as hard as you want- and have a good time. Only cooling upgrade you need is a new intercooler.

Lots of overthinking here.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you’re wrong.

On a 95 degree day I was hitting 220s and almost 230. Little more and I’d be spitting antifreeze.

Added a bottle. I rarely hit 215.

That's funny, I was driving my truck in over 100F+ temps a few months ago and it never went over 210-215 - because the thermostat regulates temps and the radiator and water pump was working fine.

I also towed a CanAm 4 seater for 5 hours in 90+ heat and temps never went over 215 at any point.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I threw in a bottle of Water Wetter. I see temps as high as 227 during the summer. After the Water Wetter they've dropped down to 215-217 for a high.

Without a doubt it has worked for me.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re wrong.

Water wetter decreases the surface tension of the coolant thereby eliminating tiny microscopic bubbles and assuring there is maximal contact between the fluid and the radiator. This increases the surface area that is exposed to the cooling coils of the radiator which makes the cooling process more efficient. I also have objective data and logs that proved the difference.

The only thing you’re right about is water cooling better than antifreeze.

I love how some people on here spout things off like they are an authority.

Explain to me the heat load with said truck at 14,000# GVW up a 6* grade in the dead of summer. I can guarantee that engine will hit a temp range and hold that for the duration, ie not lose temperate control. Why anyone would think that heat loads while driving around town with a tune even remotely compare to sustained loads why developing aforementioned power is beyond me. Most manufacturers have their own blend of anti-freeze installed in the truck. If some small cheap bottle of fluid would increase the thermal efficiency if the system 10* below nominal temps it would surely do so at power allowing for a smaller total mechanical package. Hint: it doesn't.

Water Wetter is for track cars that aren't allowed to bring antifreeze on track, that stuff creates incredible hazards on track as it leaks out.

I'm throwing the BS flag. Warning, education centered around thermal dynamics.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/01/redline-waterwetter®-review/