GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So is there any chance for those of us that bought before the group buy and had to send our pcm in, to get a tomohawk from Whipple in order to update the tune to the latest and greatest? Hint hint Mr. Whipple...

Anyone can purchase the Tomahawk tool, but at anytime, you can send in for a free update.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Whipple Charged,

So I’m 98.4% sold on your stage 1 kit.

According to the math earlier in this thread we are at 530BHP / 581TQ at the crank with this tune and SPD adapters...everything else stock.

A few questions please:

1) What would you estimate that the power increase would be running 93 instead of 91 with this kit?

2) Will down pipes be an acceptable/safe option to run with this tune? Any negatives to running down pipes with this tune? If we can safely run down pipes with this tune what do you think the performance gain might be in HP/TQ. I think stock down pipes are good for 5 to 15 hp depending on the application from what I’ve read.

3) What will the performance gain be HP/TQ with an aftermarket exhaust? Borla specifically. Ignoring loudness (x-pipe is clearly louder) would you recommend run in the X pipe or the resonator with the optional built-in H pipe?

4) What kind of numbers do you think we could hit HP/TQ with all three installed (93/downpipes/catback) concurrently with your stage 1 kit?

5) Given that the whipple intake is part of this kit will there be any downside to running the UPR (with the required hole drilled in the intake and line attached to the intake) catch can with your stage 1 kit?

Thank you very much for your time and congratulations on your outstanding work!!!

Great to hear. I tested the adapters, I don't see them making any power difference. They're nice, but back to back, I didn't see any major gain. I do feel they are a nice option but the power is in the cal/ic/filter. On 93 or 94, in general will make 15-30rwhp more and same with torque. Its roughly a 2-4 deg spark change, all else being equal.

Down pipes will certainly be a great option, I don't see any downside to this. I do feel 10-15rwhp is easily achievable with downpipes, especially torque.

Cat back doesn't do too much, but if it lowers back pressure, then, that will help. I normally see cat-back do 5-10rwhp and sometimes nothing, so many variances here.

UPR products have worked great with our SC applications, I can't imagine there would be any issue with the EB catch can, but I haven't tried one. But there is no question, taking the oil away is a real benefit.

jmrekieta

Reaction score
Anyone can purchase the Tomahawk tool, but at anytime, you can send in for a free update.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Great to hear. I tested the adapters, I don't see them making any power difference. They're nice, but back to back, I didn't see any major gain. I do feel they are a nice option but the power is in the cal/ic/filter. On 93 or 94, in general will make 15-30rwhp more and same with torque. Its roughly a 2-4 deg spark change, all else being equal.

Down pipes will certainly be a great option, I don't see any downside to this. I do feel 10-15rwhp is easily achievable with downpipes, especially torque.

Cat back doesn't do too much, but if it lowers back pressure, then, that will help. I normally see cat-back do 5-10rwhp and sometimes nothing, so many variances here.

UPR products have worked great with our SC applications, I can't imagine there would be any issue with the EB catch can, but I haven't tried one. But there is no question, taking the oil away is a real benefit.

You sir are awesome!! You have earned yourself a customer!!

So it does appear that the Whipple Stang 1 kit on 93 shortens the gap with the MPT 93PRX.

Please do keep us posted on that second group buy!

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

One more question: will catted downpipes throw a code with your tune? If yes, would O2 extenders provide the remedy?

Thanks again! Look at the outstanding example of customer support!

Last edited:

Big Johnson

Reaction score

I assumed a guy could buy it, I guess I was hoping since we paid the full retail price we might see some compassionate pricing or better yet free! Haha

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bud

I think you kinda confirmed what I already thought.

The SPD adapters aren’t doing a darn thing.
Don’t feel bad. I have them too... and I didn’t think they did anything either. It was another one of my experiments.

350 is standard for this truck... and a bump to 410 is a nice delta from Whipple.

It’s not 450 which is where MPT is hanging.

And it’s shy of Gearhead too by a clip.

But you knew what you were buying... and you have value in your purchase. Enjoy it!

I can’t wait for someone.... hint hint.... Gearhead.... make a simple turbo swap to break the 500WHP safely.

the SPD adapters are doing something... my 'before tune showed 347HP - whipple's own testing (different truck) shows 323HP base

Whipple Stock
0qzdzb3.png

My Truck Stock with SPD Adapters
mOwzhb8.png

that's 24HP different on baseline for RWHP

and 336ft-lb vs 400ft-lb - a 64ft-lb difference?

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what Ford Raptor Forum is all about!
KEEP all this good information flowing!! I pulled the trigger and bought Whipples stage 1 kit. The thing that sold me was, it’s a cotmplete package that’s makes sense that fits without making modifications, and I believe it’s the best reliable package available. So let’s get this party started.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if im not understanding ..... there is a tomahawk , that has the tune? But we can buy one if we want one? Then how does one get the tune in the ecm without one?

Sorry.....

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry if im not understanding ..... there is a tomahawk , that has the tune? But we can buy one if we want one? Then how does one get the tune in the ecm without one?

Sorry.....

Anyone who wants to ship one in, use our recal form or email [email protected] your info to schedule the update.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

I assumed a guy could buy it, I guess I was hoping since we paid the full retail price we might see some compassionate pricing or better yet free! Haha

We discussed here, we can offer special pricing for the Tomahawk tool for current customers that originally sent PCM in, $300. With that, it would include an updated tune along with capacity for later updates. The updated tune is no charge, but the tool itself is. This is ONLY for current customers.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

You sir are awesome!! You have earned yourself a customer!!

So it does appear that the Whipple Stang 1 kit on 93 shortens the gap with the MPT 93PRX. ��

Please do keep us posted on that second group buy! ��

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

One more question: will catted downpipes throw a code with your tune? If yes, would O2 extenders provide the remedy?

Thanks again! Look at the outstanding example of customer support!

I do think it would set cat efficiency codes for some people depending on drive cycle, extenders would certainly fix it.

Big Johnson

Reaction score
the SPD adapters are doing something... my 'before tune showed 347HP - whipple's own testing (different truck) shows 323HP base

Whipple Stock

0qzdzb3.png

My Truck Stock with SPD Adapters

mOwzhb8.png

that's 24HP different on baseline for RWHP

and 336ft-lb vs 400ft-lb - a 64ft-lb difference?

I don’t think you can really compare Whipple’s baseline to your truck. As they said the testing was done in 100 degree ambient and there is all kinds of info out there showing that back to back repeatable dyno results vary quite a bit for multiple reasons on these engines.