What are these trucks actually getting for mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For comparison:

On summer gas (winter gas has less energy) I get between 15.5 and 16.5 mpg with my 2011 6.2L SCAB in 2WD. This is absolutely unfailing. It doesn't matter whether the driving is predominantly city or highway. Surprisingly, speed doesn't matter either. What does matter is my right foot. Drive sanely and the big V8 will produce surprisingly good gas mileage.

You guys who waited for a GEN2 because you thought that a V6 with twin blowers would produce markedly better fuel economy forgot something important:
Physics. It takes a certain amount of energy to move a heavy, big body, high profile vehicle down the road. To do the same work requires the expenditure of the same amount of energy. That energy will come from the fuel consumed and from nowhere else. Miracles do not happen between fill-ups. Physics happens.

I easily get 15 - 16 mpg or better on the highway. But around town lucky to get 9.8 mpg. But I don't baby it and the AC is normally on. So I am very happy with its fuel economy. I've never bought a vehicle for fuel economy. Guess most of my cars are gas hogs. Heck my last car had a couple thousand dollar gas guzzler fee.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious on what the Gen 2 guys get as more receive their trucks.
I have two ecoboost trucks, and both don't get really good MPG.

Wifes explorer(16/22) gets 17.5mpg, and it's 90% highway and on cruise control.
Company escape(21/28) gets 20.8 mpg, and it's 50/50 city highway.

While we didn't buy the explorer for gas savings lol, I sort of expected better mileage when we just take it easy going to work.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
So if 15 is the gen 2 average around town? I'll be so happy, my 2011 gets maybe 11 around town. 4 MPG better is a NO brainer!

02SVT

Reaction score
My 2013 with a 5 star tune got 13.1 MPG, per the trucks display. I have a 17 with 1400 miles on it and it sits at 16.2 mpg. I have only reset it once. Driving the same habits with both trucks.

PMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off you have to understand the MPG tests the government uses. The tests are done on a dyno in a VERY controlled environment and not by some heavy footed hooligan out on the roads. Every car manufacturer is pretty much put in a "best case scenario" setting and then they test the MPG.

Can the Gen2 get 17+ mpg on a flat highway with cruise control? Yes. Can it get 14+mpg in town if you stay out of the boost? Yes.

But if youre running around in sport mode all the time or staying in boost there is no chance in hell you will come close to Fords claimed MPGs.

Plenty of guys that have picked up their trucks so far are posting Fords claimed MPGs but they are being easy on the trucks during their break in period. Once you start getting into the boost say goodbye to any claimed MPG.

Why the F would they test for MPG on a Dino? It removes the wind resistance variable that most certainly can add or subtract from actual MPG. If this is true, then the EPA is dumber than I could have imagined.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why the F would they test for MPG on a Dino? It removes the wind resistance variable that most certainly can add or subtract from actual MPG. If this is true, then the EPA is dumber than I could have imagined.

"How does the EPA lab work?

Vehicles are tested on dynamometers, or dynos, which are like giant treadmills for cars. The vehicle is held stationary while its wheels spin the dyno’s large rollers. After a vehicle is strapped down on a dyno, the staff punches in coefficients that allow the dyno rolls to simulate real-world factors, such as wind and road friction to calculate MPG of each vehicle tested"

You know how VW got around emissions and MPG with their diesel vehicles? They had two sets of programming that would run; one that would run when the vehicle was on a dyno and one that would run on the street. How did the car know it was on a dyno? Wheel speed sensors would sense the front wheels werent moving when the rear wheels were which would make the computer use the "dyno software" and not the actual software it uses when all 4 wheeler are spinning on the street. The dyno software was more tame and significantly lowered emissions compared to the actual drive tune the computer used on the street.

PMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they think they have a reliable way to simulate wind resistance and other variables that come into play when driving in the real world. I guess this creates a more controlled environment that would allow for a more reliable vehicle to vehicle comparison, but it should come as no surprise to anyone when actual results don't match up with EPA test results.

This seems par for the course. When you need to meet a certain objective regulated by the government you don't really need to meet the objective, you just need to change the way you measure. Works with unemployment numbers, why not with fuel economy too?

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
e-30 is a good fuel the epa suck's ass and are crooks Trump need's to take them out with the rest of the swamp global warming crap

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
My 2013 with a 5 star tune got 13.1 MPG, per the trucks display. I have a 17 with 1400 miles on it and it sits at 16.2 mpg. I have only reset it once. Driving the same habits with both trucks.

You need to reset the mpg meter at each fill up. That will give you the mpg for the tank you ran. My 12 Raptor gets 15-16 mpg consistently in around town driving. Hand calculations back it up. My tank gets anywhere from 540 miles to 570 miles.