What Intercooler and CAI for MPT Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a recommended intercooler and cold air intake for the MPT tunes on a Gen 2? I was considering just adding the tunes, but I now want to do all of the work at the same time for maximum affect.

Last edited:

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intake will make almost no power.

The best intercoolers are the fullrace and the SVC one.

The fullrace intercooler is a garret core with cast divided CFD'd endtanks. Its nice, very nice. And has the option to use a tial BOV.

The SVC one was made for their bumpers and was prototyped by CBR and i assume/hope still made by them. CBR is a premium heat exchanger fabricator for race teams and anyone with good taste/lots of money etc.

The fullrace one is actually cheaper right now.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So far, we've seen the best results with either the Full Race Intercooler and the ADD Intercooler by AFE. Either option will be a significant upgrade over stock and pull air from behind the main FORD grille and not the lower bumper grille...which is mostly covered up by the front plate in Texas.

The biggest power intake we've seen is the AFE Power Stage 2 Magnum Intake. You have the option of going with oiled or dry filters, oiled will have a higher flow rate, but is not recommended for dirt. If you do plan to use the truck off-road, I'd recommend going with the dry filter setup.

MPT also recommends going with an aftermarket thermostat and that can easily be had by SPD.

Other supporting horsepower modifications would be downpipes and SPD Turbo Adapters depending on which brand of downpipes you go with (some brands will not need them).

Finally, if you're really cranking up the boost, you may want to look into an aftermarket mechanical BOV that is metal and will hold up better to higher boost levels than the factory plastic eBOV.

Hope this information is helpful and please let us know if we can help answer any other questions for you.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
intake will make almost no power.

OK, thanks. I am new to the ecoboost club, so your advice is welcome. No need to spend money on something that provides no value.

So far, we've seen the best results with either the Full Race Intercooler and the ADD Intercooler by AFE. Either option will be a significant upgrade over stock and pull air from behind the main FORD grille and not the lower bumper grille...which is mostly covered up by the front plate in Texas.

The biggest power intake we've seen is the AFE Power Stage 2 Magnum Intake. You have the option of going with oiled or dry filters, oiled will have a higher flow rate, but is not recommended for dirt. If you do plan to use the truck off-road, I'd recommend going with the dry filter setup.

MPT also recommends going with an aftermarket thermostat and that can easily be had by SPD.

Other supporting horsepower modifications would be downpipes and SPD Turbo Adapters depending on which brand of downpipes you go with (some brands will not need them).

Finally, if you're really cranking up the boost, you may want to look into an aftermarket mechanical BOV that is metal and will hold up better to higher boost levels than the factory plastic eBOV.

Hope this information is helpful and please let us know if we can help answer any other questions for you.

That is two votes for the Full Race. I am also looking at the Gen 2 ADD bumpers, so that combination might make sense.

I noticed you are in Houston, does your shop do installations or do you just sell the parts? I am also interested in leveling the truck with an adjustable perch collar.

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Full-Race option here- although the new ADD/AFE is nice as well.

Power drop off after the install isn't nearly as severe compared to the factory intercooler/Charge Air Cooler- as we discovered with consecutive dyno runs.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going with an ADD bumper get the fullrace. If you were considering SVC get theirs.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask MPT what intercooler they recommend if they are doing the tune. They have great things to say about the Wagner intercooler. I really like mine. It is probably one of the largest intercoolers that will fit in the stock location.

https://www.morepowertuning.com/wagnerevo-200001119

If your going to relocate the the intercooler for a bumbler ect. The ones above are pretty nice and look really nice.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I am new to the ecoboost club, so your advice is welcome. No need to spend money on something that provides no value.

That is two votes for the Full Race. I am also looking at the Gen 2 ADD bumpers, so that combination might make sense.

I noticed you are in Houston, does your shop do installations or do you just sell the parts? I am also interested in leveling the truck with an adjustable perch collar.

We don't have a shop yet, however, we do have relationships with multiple local shops in the area to help coordinate installation. We can also help with your ADD bumpers as well.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No votes for Whipple Intercooler that reuses all stock mounts, etc? I thought that was supposed to be a really good one?

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple is really easy to install. Unless you are going to have a shop install it that does them all the time, I'd say stay away from Wagner IC. Much more involved to install it and their instructions were lacking. I ended up returning it and buying the Whipple.