Weep Hole Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am at 10K on my newest screw. Is there some magic mileage number I need to be worrying about before I do something stupid, like drill a weep hole into my truck. I live in a high humidity area, on an island no doubt, and I keep stomping the accelerator, and the truck continues to take off like a bat out of hell.

And I also remember reading sometime ago, that I will need to replace spark plugs at 35K or so. Assuming thats true, it was posted as if, OMG I WILL HAVE TO REPLACE MY PLUGS. So What. Lets say I do, at 100K miles I replaced 16 spark plugs in my 6.2, along with 8 coil packs. Is my ecoSCREW gonna cost me more that that did. I think not.

Of course, I am clowning on certain posters here, but the constant "YOU MUST DO THIS, ITS AN ECOBOOST FACT" posts from NON ECOBOOST owners is driving me nuts. And the further I drive this thing, the more I realize, They Have No Idea What The Hell They Are Posting About. If one drives a Duramax Diesel (Great Truck BTW) go post shit to their sites. I remember the days when DURAMAX lost injectors on a weekly basis. Shit Happens, I did not post stupid, unsolicited crap about that fiasco to their sites. I had no dog in that fight.

Just my UNSOLICITED two cents.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmao. sounds like u are enjoying the truck.

i agree *** the weephole.

on my 14 3.5eb i changed the plugs when i felt rough idle. plugs and boots were $140 and took about 45 min to do with a smoke break between sides. it was about 44k miles. i also noticed mpg drop before the rough idle. they seam sensitive to plug gap. 0.030-0.032. the service department even said the would exchange any not in that range.

i will say that these 3.5eb motors seam to like being drove like u stole it from time to time. lol

edit. looks like new info is out too .028 now.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/ford-changed-spark-plug-part-number-56220/

Last edited:

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dlbb, did changing the plugs improve/eliminate the rough idle?

Main reason I ask is I had a '12 FX4 Ecoboost and it had a rough idle from day 1 no matter the weather (idle wasn't that rough, but definitely rougher than anything I ever owned before). My wife never noticed it and thought I was crazy, but she doesn't notice a lot of things and that's why her rims look like shit.

I knew about the issues with plugs on a lot of the earlier Ecoboosts and saw all the videos of guys drilling holes in their CAC's but I drove the **** out of that truck and never had a single real issue with anything along the powertrain. So I never got around to changing the plugs and am just curious if that would have improved the idle?

If I could turn back the clock, I'd still choose the 3.5L Ecoboost in my '12. Now the Gen2 Raptor?

"This truck is a dream"
- Car and Driver Feb/2017

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
pfft. My ZX14 requires plug changes every 7500 miles.

Think it’s bunk? My ’14 plugs looked great. But.... I netted almost 3mpg per tank more for the next several fuel tanks. Plugs lead a tough life.

OP
OP
kandewinn

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the following post from our very own SS77 under general discussions concerning engine hesitation and drilling the weep hole:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch77 View Post
Can you explain why so many have had this misfire? All of mine had it and that's why I unloaded them. I don't know anyone who has had a good ecoboost experience, and that includes the different Ford Service people I run in to.

Note to everyone reading this, not even the all knowing SS77 was stupid enough to follow his own advice. No Weep Holes for him. As clearly stated above, he unloaded his EcoBoosts.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dlbb, did changing the plugs improve/eliminate the rough idle?

Main reason I ask is I had a '12 FX4 Ecoboost and it had a rough idle from day 1 no matter the weather (idle wasn't that rough, but definitely rougher than anything I ever owned before). My wife never noticed it and thought I was crazy, but she doesn't notice a lot of things and that's why her rims look like shit.

I knew about the issues with plugs on a lot of the earlier Ecoboosts and saw all the videos of guys drilling holes in their CAC's but I drove the **** out of that truck and never had a single real issue with anything along the powertrain. So I never got around to changing the plugs and am just curious if that would have improved the idle?

If I could turn back the clock, I'd still choose the 3.5L Ecoboost in my '12. Now the Gen2 Raptor?

"This truck is a dream"
- Car and Driver Feb/2017

instant difference. did a battery disconnect for a kam/idle relearn/reset while doing the plugs. reconnected the battery and let it idle 15 min with the ac off. then turned on the ac for 5 min. then held the brake for 5 min.

put it back in park and put my foot to the right of the throttle on the hump. didn't feel and rough idle or uneven vibrations anymore.

the boots are just as important as the plugs too.

as far as the rough idle from day one, it is not the first time i have read about that. and yes the plugs are step one. the service departments even have changed the plugs on a few month old trucks for just that reason. one +.032 gap will give worse mpg and rough idle. when i gaped the old plugs i had 5 that were out of spec. and 2 that were .035+. they run hot cause of the turbo i guess.

if i feel any rough idlle in my new truck i will change the plugs. i'm thinking of changing them at 10k anyways lol. i use the truck but not abuse it. and i am curious if they are at .030 or .028 like the new sp550. 0.028 is what tuners recommend when running a 91 or 93 performance tune. seams like a good ideal on the raptor.

btw my 14 was so well taken care of and maintained they cleaned the carpet, inspected it and put it for sale. someone got a sweet used truck. i saw it going up toward crest line. really easy for me to spot since it was the only 14 lariat heavy duty produced.

Last edited:

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
I found the following post from our very own SS77 under general discussions concerning engine hesitation and drilling the weep hole:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch77 View Post
Can you explain why so many have had this misfire? All of mine had it and that's why I unloaded them. I don't know anyone who has had a good ecoboost experience, and that includes the different Ford Service people I run in to.

Note to everyone reading this, not even the all knowing SS77 was stupid enough to follow his own advice. No Weep Holes for him. As clearly stated above, he unloaded his EcoBoosts.

Wrong, I DID drill the weep hole in them to get them sold. You happened to leave out that detail. I lost all confidence in the 3.5 ecoboost when I had to do that AND change spark plugs every 30k miles. The icing on the cake was cam phaser failures, fuel in oil, the plethora of TSBs that never corrected anything, the recalls, and the government investigations. What a joke. The ecoboost has inherent design flaws that will manifest on this latest redheaded stepchild.

OP
OP
kandewinn

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note, now says drilled the weep holes in order to get rid of his EcoBoost. Has no idea if it worked, or what the long term consequences were. Yet proclaims it's the cure all for the EcoBoost. How the hell would you know?

Another way to read his post is: I was one of the unfortunate 1 in 1000 that ended up with a crappy truck. I found a crappy way to pass my problems on to the next guy. And, because i no longer trust the brand, I'm gonna convince every ******** I can to do the same.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
of course, i am clowning on certain posters here, but the constant "you must do this, its an ecoboost fact" posts from non ecoboost owners is driving me nuts. And the further i drive this thing, the more i realize, they have no idea what the hell they are posting about. If one drives a duramax diesel (great truck btw) go post shit to their sites. I remember the days when duramax lost injectors on a weekly basis. Shit happens, i did not post stupid, unsolicited crap about that fiasco to their sites. I had no dog in that fight.

Just my unsolicited two cents.

why would you start a post like this?! All it does is give sas-***** an excuse to post his shit all over again!

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Wrong, I DID drill the weep hole in them to get them sold. You happened to leave out that detail. I lost all confidence in the 3.5 ecoboost when I had to do that AND change spark plugs every 30k miles. The icing on the cake was cam phaser failures, fuel in oil, the plethora of TSBs that never corrected anything, the recalls, and the government investigations. What a joke. The ecoboost has inherent design flaws that will manifest on this latest redheaded stepchild.

**** and go away! You're a Ford and an EcoBoost hater and a broken record and we all know your sob story. We've heard it all. Now go hire a lawyer and make your fortune from suing Ford. Just leave us the **** alone! :flipthebird:

Last edited: