GEN 2 Wastegate Actuator Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Please go away! Your post are useless and do not provide any of us any answers. That post has to do with knocking coming from an engine. What the hell does that have to do with wastegate rattles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you read it?

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you read it?

Yes...wasted 5min of my life reading stupid shit you post. The OP had a knock but was to ******* stupid to know what side of the truck his air box was, another guy chimes in and they pull his motor due to wrist pin issue or some shit and then another guy talked about a ticking noise...so back to my question, since you are so ******* read up on this engine, what is the fix for this so called problem? Mine ticks but what the **** do I care as I don't ride down the rode with my head inside the wheel well! Nor do I meditate with the windows down and the radio off.

So in short, I'm sure every f-150 engine with turbos ticks so I still don't see the big deal. My 6.2 made all kinds of ******* noises when started in the cold, AC kicking on and off, rattles all over the inside etc etc...sounds to me like you don't like the engine platform and therefor are a fear monger!

Like PJ said, shut the **** up and go buy up all the Roush raptors you can find...oh wait, I mean all the raptors you can find...oh I mean the F250 you want[emoji849]

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rattles at startup. It's quite annoying.
I also hear a very similar noise while traveling at very slow speed and let off the throttle.

Found this over on f150forums. Dealer didn't do anything to fix the issue.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/metallic-rattling-upon-cold-startup-314783/index5/

Mine does it badly, especially for 10 minutes during warm up. Its funny, while cold if you give it throttle in drive or reverse while holding the brake it gets progressively worse. Like backing up in the driveway and pressing the brake while applying throttle. The wastegate seems to hold open under this condition and that spacer/metal piece rattles like crazy.

Most days when I get home I park in the driveway. Before bed I run out and put the truck in my garage. This is a cold start. I drive into the garage very slowly. There is a 2 inch lip where driveway meets garage. When my front or rear tires come up to this lip I have to give it more throttle to get them over. Thats normal. But when I do this the wastegate arm rattles like a BB in a pop can.

It seems other turbo cars (BMW and the like) have had this issue. Its not normal and after market has released kits to fix those models. Some guys weld that spacer down. Not sure the fix on a Ford though.

thetasigma1186

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also hear this noise at start up and the dealer said it was the wastegate. They didn't think it was an issue. I've had them look twice.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I hear mine for about 1-2 seconds on start up... Definitely not as bad as the video posted here but not a cool sound.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually, everyone will just put SS77 on their ignore list, instead of feeding him.

Thanks for the video, MJ. I haven't noticed this on mine, so I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the idea..just added that ******* to the list!