WARNING To Anyone Thinking About Getting A Whipple CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mr Whipple can make this right
By contacting management at ADD and telling them to issue an RMA along with an apology with the expectation that Mr Whipple will then send ADD a new intake to replace the returned one, at no cost... and ADD can return the used one to Mr. Whipple for R&D and scrap.

It's more like... you buy a shark vacuum from Walmart and you find out it wasn't clearly labeled that the vacuum requires European voltage and it's for traveling abroad. So you're not able to use the vacuum and when you return it to walmart they say no.... so instead you contact Shark who exchanges it for something of equal value that satisfies the customer or returns it for a refund.

It's not like buying it from Walmart and trying to return it at Target. You made a failed argument Mr Whipple with a bad analogy.

We are not talking about an exchange now are we? No, we are not, we are talking about a refund. The customer DID NOT PURCHASE FROM US! This is not complicated, RETURNS HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE DEALER. We have already offered to help the customer with the PCM cal which would resolve the issue and bump the power up. You and Smurf just keep going in a circle which helps nobody.

I'll break it down for you again:
1. Returns go through dealer it was purchased from.
2. Exchanges go through us.

You can't return your Shark vacuum at Target when you bought it at Walmart.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

My Roush intake has thrown zero codes.

Look at the other post, other customers with Roush did, everytime he used remote start. This is not complicated, if the filter pressure drop is less than stock, the PCM will at some point detects it. The PCM is monitoring filter pressure loss via there model, they check this 4 times per 1 revolution of the crankshaft which is HIGHLY accurate. Its just a matter of time or circumstances.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I already tried.... ADD said that Whipple would not take it back since it was already installed. They said that they spoke with Mike at Whipple and he said that he was going to see if there was something that he could do. When ADD tried calling him back he didn't respond. I waited 7 days....

I think this is where I keep coming back to.

OP
OP
D

DRTPOSR

Reaction score
If you didn't purchase it from Whipple they do not owe you a return. ADD is the one you need to work with for a return.

It is kind of tricky since it was shipped to me from Whipple, and ADD said that Whipple never told them that a tune was required....

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

This thread is more like wahhhh I bought a cai without knowing anything on how they affect turbo engines ....

Just trying to help other people so that they don't make the same mistake I did.... I readily admit that I am not very knowledgeable about engines.... Especially turbo engines....

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Actually it's more like, "wahhhh I bought a CAI without knowing anything on how they affect turbo engines and the distributor I bought it from didn't tell me ahead of time nor is it clear what's required on the manufacturer's website."

Not crying about it.... Distributor didn't tell me ahead of time that a custom tune was required nor were there any instructions included with the product... How hard would it have been to include some instructions with a disclaimer that a custom tune was required?

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is kind of tricky since it was shipped to me from Whipple, and ADD said that Whipple never told them that a tune was required....

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Just trying to help other people so that they don't make the same mistake I did.... I readily admit that I am not very knowledgeable about engines.... Especially turbo engines....

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Not crying about it.... Distributor didn't tell me ahead of time that a custom tune was required nor were there any instructions included with the product... How hard would it have been to include some instructions with a disclaimer that a custom tune was required?

We get a PO, we didn't talk to the dealer to "inform" them. We don't do catalogs, our website has the info, the dealers have the same access.

Yes instructions should state that there is a potential issue which they actually do have, possibly not your version.

Again, the offer stands to upgrade the PCM which resolves the issue.

OP
OP
D

DRTPOSR

Reaction score
It's on the website, nobody is pointing fingers. All returns have to go through the company you purchased from, that is pretty much a standard everywhere in every industry. If I buy something at Costco, I don't return it to ***** Sporting goods....

There was nothing on "ADD's" website & there were no instructions included with the intake. I agree that nobody is pointing fingers. ADD simply said that they were not informed that a custom tune was required. They then tried to work with Mike to see if I could return the product and that Mike did not respond.

By the way, not all returns have to go through the company you purchased them from. I have purchased things many times from Amazon that have to be returned to a 3rd party. The complicating issue here is that the CAI was sent to me by Whipple, not ADD.... I agree that most of the time that you would be correct - but not always.

Also, when I purchase a product on Amazon, I don't go to the manufacturer's website to check the specifications of the product being purchased. 99% of the time I rely on the specifications listed on Amazon.

OP
OP
D

DRTPOSR

Reaction score
Just want to let everyone know that Whipple has agreed to let me return the CAI and issue a refund. I thank them for stepping up and making this right.

But I do agree with everyone that they need to do a better job of informing the customers that a custom tune is required, and I highly recommend some instructions with that boldly stated at that top.

I also think that this was a very well manufactured product, and it looked great on my truck. Unfortunately, I don't want to go down the "tuning" road....

Thanks Whipple....

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

And thanks to everyone who offered constructive input.... I do appreciate it.