Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

UPDATE on Ford Performance Tune

This is a discussion on UPDATE on Ford Performance Tune within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!

User Tag List

Like Tree199Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What will the differences theoretically be between the tune you use and this one?

Originally Posted by Guy View Post
There is a maximum amount of power that can be made from the engine with tuning.

Anyone with the know-how and tools can lean the A/F, advance the timing, change the turbo waste gate... etc... and likely come close to the same theoretical maximum.

Ford and ford Performance has to work within boundaries. Those boundaries are defined by emissions laws and industry standards.

Further, Ford has to tune with the expectation that that their customer base is going to do the wrong things. Theyíre going to run the wrong gas. Theyíre going to tow too much weight on too steep of a grade. Theyíre going to abuse and misuse their product in ways that you or I canít comprehend. Ford has to build a safety and reliability factor 3-fold into what they do.

What does that mean? They canít make as much power. Could they? Sure. They have the resources and the knowledge but their hands are tied.

A custom tuner CAN make a reliable tune with more power and more performance than Ford. No, it doesnít mean itíll blow up. Yes it does mean it isnít a great idea for someone who doesnít know what theyíre doing with a performance engine. So for average Joe... itís not a great idea... for an enthusiast who knows what the oil in his truck tastes like.... itís pushing the limits.

Iím not knocking their product. Iím just pointing out the difference.

mmacfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The most important difference is ford engineers know their transmission limits and durability inside out, and what they will develop, whether partnered with whipple or a camel is going to be safe to the standards they know about their own build
Predator likes this.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Guy
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Good question. I can only speculate based on Whipple.

I should be more forgiving to fuel choices.

It shouldnít be as hard on the drive train.

It should be a little more user friendly and drivable for the average joe.

Itíll make a little less horsepower most likely.

Itíll still be worthwhile as an upgrade.

And to BajaFred.... youíre right.... they only exist as facts in the caverns of my skull.

And to WhatExit... youíre also right in that I canít point to a single document or shred of absolute proof to back up my assertion.

What I can say is that I have a strong suspicion I am correct in my assumption based on the aforementioned observations.

Iím assuming Whipple is not going to be allowed to say they made the tune for Ford. That would seriously call into question a myriad of things.... including why the ford branded tune carries a warranty and Whipples doesnít. It also would make it that much harder to justify the price.

Just my opinion. Draw your own as well.

Originally Posted by mmacfn View Post
What will the differences theoretically be between the tune you use and this one?
Predator likes this.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Not to get to side tracked, Wonder what the suspension upgrade will be....probably just the Fox remote Reservoir versions in blue?
racerjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 AM   #25 (permalink)

"GEN2 Foamer"

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Well on a side note, im looking forward to it.
hkguns likes this.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

It’s no different than them subcontracting out work to Borla.

What’s your evidence against my nearly irrefutable evidence?

Nothing of course.

Move on son.

You’re in a state of denial if you think the Ford Performance tune will be anything more or better than what Whipple has right now. You’re also in a dream state if you think it’ll outperform some of the top custom tuners out there who do NOT have to worry about CARB or emissions or even durability testing for that matter.

You go from talking like you've posted nothing but facts (when your statements have nothing but holes in them) to stating (below) that you're SPECULATING.

And you blow up your position completely when you compare creating a tune to Borla making an exhaust.

Good question. I can only speculate based on Whipple.

I should be more forgiving to fuel choices.

It shouldn’t be as hard on the drive train.

It should be a little more user friendly and drivable for the average joe.

It’ll make a little less horsepower most likely.

It’ll still be worthwhile as an upgrade.

And to BajaFred.... you’re right.... they only exist as facts in the caverns of my skull.

And to WhatExit... you’re also right in that I can’t point to a single document or shred of absolute proof to back up my assertion.

What I can say is that I have a strong suspicion I am correct in my assumption based on the aforementioned observations.

I’m assuming Whipple is not going to be allowed to say they made the tune for Ford. That would seriously call into question a myriad of things.... including why the ford branded tune carries a warranty and Whipples doesn’t. It also would make it that much harder to justify the price.

Just my opinion. Draw your own as well.

Now you've backed away from your position with every word you've typed.

No proof, assuming, just your opinion.

Assuming you have a day job, do you work in the media?
MGD likes this.

2017 Magnetic SuperCrew Cab 802a; Raptor Tech Pkg w/Adaptive Cruise; 17" Forged Aluminum (Beadlock) Wheels; 2nd Row Heated Seats; Moonroof; Tailgate Step; Exterior & Hood Graphics Pkgs (both removed); Carbon Fiber Pkg; Engine Block Heater. Added: new V1; BlendMount; XPEL Ultimate & Stealth Film; Tinted Front Windows; BedRug, Roll-N-Lock A-Series bed cover
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Ford performance tune seems like it will be the way to go for me. I was gonna use whipple but now I will wait in fords. Definitely will not use the others out on the market. I have read people talk about 5star and MPTs tune saying they like it overall but that it shifts alittle to hard or just that the transmission is off by alittle. Even some said they removed their aftermarket tunes. I heard that whipples is the safest out for the truck and feels the best in the tranny. But I predict that ford performance tune will have the transmission part as close to perfect as it will get in a tune and will go with it aslong as it does add 50 more HP. If not then I will get the whipple stage 1 kit that adds 70 more HP I believe. I’m not knocking any company’s tune either, I’ve just read guys in here saying things about the tranny on all of them so far. I have no proof or facts as I don’t have any tune yet.
mmacfn likes this.
Msb.19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Guy
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

I do have a day job with 16 years of postgraduate education. Nope.... I’m not stupid.

I’m also not too egotistical to recognize that, While passionate, it’s only strong circumstantial evidence. No it’s not proof. So I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

One final thought though...

Whipple “employed” fords lead tuning engineer. They had to adhere to all the laws in all 50 states for compliance. Why? They aren’t a dealer. They aren’t at the mercy of a regulatory body. They are no different than any other aftermarket tuner. So why did they have to be handcuffed to play by the rules??? Maybe it’s because they were building the SAME tune Ford is using because that was what they were CONTRACTED to do.

Further, why would Ford give them proprietary tools? Can I contact Ford and get a set too??? Do you think you can buy a set??? I’m guessing you know that answer.

Why would Ford let them have their proprietary tools? Why would they loan them their lead engineer? You don’t think they’d be concerned with industrial espionage, given they go to great lengths to encrypt their ECM????

If you can’t figure out this line of thinking than I don’t know what to tell you. You know I’m right. You’re being stubborn to be stubborn.

I don’t care if you buy the Ford tune. It’ll work well for you. If you’re in the north east give me a Hollar and we can race for pinks. I’d like another Raptor to tinker on.

Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
You go from talking like you've posted nothing but facts (when your statements have nothing but holes in them) to stating (below) that you're SPECULATING.

And you blow up your position completely when you compare creating a tune to Borla making an exhaust.

Now you've backed away from your position with every word you've typed.

No proof, assuming, just your opinion.

Assuming you have a day job, do you work in the media?
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #29 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The government (or who ever they are) is attacking all tuner companies, Mainly in the diesel world right now that I know of, they have slapped a couple of the big tuner brands already as they now will only sell you a tuner for off-road purpose only (with proof). The are even trying to sue Diesel brothers for pollution laws. My speculation would be that these gas company tuners see this and now will only build/write tunes that are compliant.
slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Please provide hard facts about others truth at we might know to be speculation. Provide areas that prior research was extracted to determine the cause of each fact. I believe everything I read on here
Msb.19d is offline   Reply With Quote