Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

UPDATE on Ford Performance Tune

This is a discussion on UPDATE on Ford Performance Tune within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Just spoke with Ray @ Ford Performance and he advised that the FP tune is expected to be made available ...

User Tag List

Like Tree199Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default UPDATE on Ford Performance Tune
Just spoke with Ray @ Ford Performance and he advised that the FP tune is expected to be made available sometime during Q1 2018, but could be earlier.

The hold up is not Ford at this point. Their tune is complete and ready to go.

The delay is solely CARB Approval. This is California's Air Resource Board. They must test and grant their performance tune an exemption to the emission control system anti-tampering laws before Ford Releases it nationwide to it's entire network of dealers. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.

CARB Aftermarket, Performance, and Add-On Parts Regulations

I was also told it will be optimized for 91/93 use (a single tune that works for both) and will have improved transmission optimizations.

"Any car that merely takes you from A to B does not go far enough." ó August Horch

Last edited by Predator; 10-18-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guy
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Of course it’s ready to go.

It’s a rebranded Whipple tune. You’re going to pay for the warranty security. I personally think the warranty isn’t necessary but that’s just me.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Just spoke with Ray @ Ford Performance and he advised that the FP tune is expected to be made available sometime during Q1 2018, but could be earlier.

The hold up is not Ford at this point. Their tune is complete and ready to go.

The delay is solely CARB Approval. This is California's Air Resource Board. They must test and grant their performance tune an exemption to the emission control system anti-tampering laws before Ford Releases it nationwide to it's entire network of dealers. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.

CARB Aftermarket, Performance, and Add-On Parts Regulations

I was also told it will be optimized for 91/93 use (1 tune for both) and will have improved transmission optimizations.
Of course California would be the cause and hold up of something like this. Just like Washington State it is filled with liberal so-called leaders (whack jobs) who have their minds & their heads so far up there you know what's, because of course they, in their so-called Superior leftist moral righteousness, know what's better for everyone..

They'll probably elect Harvey Weinstein for the next governor in California.

Sorry for the rant but if anyone's honest they know it's completely true..

Last edited by ChevTillNow; 10-18-2017 at 01:05 PM.
ChevTillNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Of course itís ready to go.

Itís a rebranded Whipple tune. Youíre going to pay for the warranty security. I personally think the warranty isnít necessary but thatís just me.
>>> Itís a rebranded Whipple tune. <<<
Is this an assumption on your path?
Or, you know this as a FACT?!!
jaredq22 and MGD like this.
14 BlackScrew RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
I just called Whipple AND Ford Performance to fact check.

As it turns out, there is in-fact a Ford Engineer (head of tuning at Ford Performance) that ALSO works on the side for Whipple. From what I was told by Ray @ Ford Performance, he is NOT the guy who did the FP Raptor tune, but he is that guy's boss and oversees the whole process. But the tunes should have some slight variances.

I am speculating that the FP tune will be slightly more conservative (and better tested) than what Whipple is currently offering.
SilverBolt likes this.

"Any car that merely takes you from A to B does not go far enough." ó August Horch

Last edited by Predator; 10-18-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Thanks for the info. I had called them a few weeks ago and it was a similar story, they said “possibly next year, we are just waiting for the approval process to play out”
kpg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Interesting find. It contains some very reasonable arguments as to why the upgraded Ford tunes are better than aftermarket.

FORD DYNAMOMETER TESTING AND FORD RACING CALIBRATIONS
TNMtnRaptor likes this.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Not interested if the gains are in the 30-40HP range. My guess is they will be more in line with Roush's numbers.
ss_raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

I've seen how some in the industry do their "tunes" and I haven't been impressed.

I won't mention any names or say that this is common as to how aftermarket companies do their "tunes" but I will say that I wasn't impressed with what I personally saw.

Rather than any methodical process of developing/designing/perfecting/testing tunes, I've seen it done by (A) seat-of-the-pants with an explanation that (B) "this is how we did it on other cars (BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes, etc., whatever) and it worked on them."

While some may run the tunes on dynos and tune it there as well, I still wonder about if there's any real expertise and science behind their process.

That said, I'm not running down how aftermarket companies develop their tunes. My point is I will absolutely trust Ford Performance's tune and if I decide to spend the money on it and mod my truck with it, I'll do it believing they used their engineering expertise and did their professional due diligence on the tune design considering its affects on the vehicle's performance and longevity all while, and this is key, providing warranty coverage from them, the vehicle manufacturer.

And my expectations for the tune done the right way is not that it will be the absolute best performing tune but that it will be done right and they (Ford) will stand behind what they've done and what Ford Performance is selling.

Bottom line: Ford and Ford Performance have an awful lot more skin in the game than some aftermarket company selling stuff on the internet or elsewhere.
Predator likes this.

2017 Magnetic SuperCrew Cab 802a; Raptor Tech Pkg w/Adaptive Cruise; 17" Forged Aluminum (Beadlock) Wheels; 2nd Row Heated Seats; Moonroof; Tailgate Step; Exterior & Hood Graphics Pkgs (both removed); Carbon Fiber Pkg; Engine Block Heater. Added: new V1; BlendMount; XPEL Ultimate & Stealth Film; Tinted Front Windows; BedRug, Roll-N-Lock A-Series bed cover

Last edited by WhatExit?; 10-18-2017 at 05:23 PM.
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

this is as plausible an excuse as any for the tune hold up. Honestly, I just wish that Ford would release a non CARB tune that is simply not certified for CA emissions following states.

I have a feeling that this is going to be something like

If you like your Ford Raptor Performance tune, you can keep your Ford Raptor Performance tune...
draz23m likes this.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote