GEN 2 turbos and oil catch cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am fully aware of the dual (direct and port) injection system of the Eco HO. What that means in the real world is that FAR less of the fuel will be hitting the back side of the valves compared to port only injection engines. Accordingly, the Jennifers should be hyper sensitive to catch cans and they should also be hyper sensitive to running engine cleaners like techron on a regular basis.

That is, of course, unless they just happen to love tearing their motors down and blasting them with walnut media. Ask BMW and Mercedes. Or just say "technology" and "marketing hype" while clicking your heels three times.

Dartv8r

Reaction score
I have used catch cans on my other high performance cars (GTR, Supercharged S2000) and when you see what they collect over time it's a no brainer. One of the problems with direct injection engines is build up behind the valves. This has been proven to be the weak point in the direct injection engines as gunk will build up behind the valves and be detrimental to performance. I plan on installing one in my Raptor once it arrives. It really is a cheap preventative upgrade that will save a ton of headaches down the road. Here is a decent video explaining why it's beneficial for those not familiar with their use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6h_FOzFMcs&feature=youtu.be

and another one regarding direct injection engines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhUJsZXzmg

Last edited:

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we have dual-injection, I would assume this would help correct at least part of the issue with some level of valve cleaning (more-so with premium fuels).

Has anyone installed and validate a collection amount for our engines yet? To a lesser degree, has anyone with some good mileage even tested the PCV system for any noticeable accumulation of oil?

I only have 1000 miles after 3 months, so I'm not seeing anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3six7

Reaction score
Check out companies like Full Race, UPR or RX. They are the more popular for 1st gen ecoboost engines, and have proven to catch fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the UPR catch cans en route and should be here on Monday. Prob wont do the install until I get the intake and just do them together. I picked mine up from the boys down at 5star.

jusdach

Reaction score
I am fully aware of the dual (direct and port) injection system of the Eco HO. What that means in the real world is that FAR less of the fuel will be hitting the back side of the valves compared to port only injection engines. Accordingly, the Jennifers should be hyper sensitive to catch cans and they should also be hyper sensitive to running engine cleaners like techron on a regular basis.

That is, of course, unless they just happen to love tearing their motors down and blasting them with walnut media. Ask BMW and Mercedes. Or just say "technology" and "marketing hype" while clicking your heels three times.

Never heard the slang "Jennifers" before, what does that actually refer to? Gen2's?