GEN 2 turbos and oil catch cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
zero warranty issues. It changes nothing other than decreasing crap ingested by the engine. Its like ford denying a warranty issue cause you used a better quality synthetic oil than the factory oil or swapped out the factory air filter for a quality replacment

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zero warranty issues. It changes nothing other than decreasing crap ingested by the engine. Its like ford denying a warranty issue cause you used a better quality synthetic oil than the factory oil or swapped out the factory air filter for a quality replacment

Hey, I have never owned a ford before, but from what I hear, they will find every single way to avoid warranty work :)

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, I have never owned a ford before, but from what I hear, they will find every single way to avoid warranty work :)

I have bought 5 new Fords and never had a valid warranty claim denied. And all my mustangs were modded and tracked both road racing and drag strip.

Taken in the Raptor with Headers, CAI, Suspension and never have they had an issue. Mustangs were way more modded and same thing. Now if you run a tune and blow the engine they have a reason to deny it but putting on say new front shocks would give them no reason to deny a claim of the transmission going out

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. My worry is this. Since this would be a mod or change to something in the engine bay, would they consider this a mod that voids out warranties?

It could if the dealer isn't very mod friendly. Some are more mod friendly than others. It would also depend what type of warranty work you bring it in for. If it's not engine related they couldn't blame it on the catch can.

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The following is the response I received last week from Stage 3 MotorSports RE: 2017 Raptor UPR dual valve catch cans:

• Ticket status: Completed
• Department: Sales/ Technical
• Subject: 2017 Raptor Catch Can
• The 17 raptors are still so new that we do not have that info ready yet. The F150 and the raptor are different so there should be two different cans when the time comes. Keep tabs on the site for updates. Thanks, Lou McBee

Sincerely,
Stage 3 Motorsports

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A catch can is like a new air filter. They can't deny a warranty claim for it. It's the law:

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the only thing I'd be concerned about is CARB - since it modifies the EGR flow, but wouldn't have an inspection for 6 years here in CA - one good thing about *new* vehicles ;)

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could if the dealer isn't very mod friendly. Some are more mod friendly than others. It would also depend what type of warranty work you bring it in for. If it's not engine related they couldn't blame it on the catch can.

Nope, mod friendly or not, They have to show that the part caused the failure. Like I said its the same as if you replaced the factory paper airfilter with a better quality one. They have to show that that part caused the failure.

For instance the JLT catch can I have on my raptor replaces the hose connections with new ones (Factory line actually cut and made to fit the catch can) so if the connection breaks or the catch can seal fails they would not cover that as its not OEM but if the engine has a bad bearing they also could not say the catch can caused it and would have to cover it.

Certain mods are a grey area and should check with your dealer to see how they feel about it but the catch can in not one of them

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

the only thing I'd be concerned about is CARB - since it modifies the EGR flow, but wouldn't have an inspection for 6 years here in CA - one good thing about *new* vehicles ;)

Yea CARB for sure, but at that point you pull it off for inspection as it takes all of 2 minutes to remove. Now removing and putting cats back is the nightmare.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, mod friendly or not, They have to show that the part caused the failure. Like I said its the same as if you replaced the factory paper airfilter with a better quality one. They have to show that that part caused the failure.
More than likely you'd have to prove that it didn't.
Certain mods are a grey area and should check with your dealer to see how they feel about it but the catch can in not one of them
I agree, but I'd also check with the dealer about the catch can.