Tunes: BF & After at Drag Strip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This question has been asked in several threads I have been monitoring while trying to figure out a tune for the past year...and I have asked it a few times within a thread only to see each instance collect dust...so figured I'd start a thread...

Has anyone brought their Raptor to the Track, got a base line 1/4 Mi ET and Trap Speed after at least 5000 miles on the odometer...then tuned their truck...and gone back to the track to see the difference?

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a 14.1 @ 96 mph completely stock in 85 degree temps at Great Lakes Dragaway.
I ran a 13.08 @ 102 mph with turbo adapters and a 3 revision in e48 tune in 38 degree temps with a 12mph head wind at the same drag strip.
Truck had 12000 miles when it got tuned.

Ironwood

Reaction score
I ran a 14.1 @ 96 mph completely stock in 85 degree temps at Great Lakes Dragaway.
I ran a 13.08 @ 102 mph with turbo adapters and a 3 revision in e48 tune in 38 degree temps with a 12mph head wind at the same drag strip.

I’d guess the near 50 degree temperature drop had a lot to do with your improvement. That and the headwind make it tough to compare.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d guess the near 50 degree temperature drop had a lot to do with your improvement. That and the headwind make it tough to compare.

True. I will be going back in the next couple of months. I love drag racing.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score

14.1 is GREAT even for a SCAB in 85F...38F Temps adds TONs of power alone, the 12 MPH Headwind hurts, but not as much as those Temps help I believe, and sounds like you're running a blended tune, which I know makes a big difference on my Mustang...if I ran an E85 Tune vs. a 93 Tune. 1200 miles is still very low, and the Truck should get loosened up and run even better for you. Were you running in Auto mode?

Agreed.

True. I will be going back in the next couple of months. I love drag racing.

Thanks again for replying...I can't believe with all the Dyno numbers and Tunes going on not more people go to the actual track to get any kind of real world comparable figures. Dynos are great, but racing a clock is best to figure out where you're really at.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish time allowed for more trials at the strip, as i find that data very informative. Dynos are great tools, but unless your doing before and after the same day on same equip, many variables on the dyno itself or software settings that can skew results, not incl the issues that relate to our gearing. Obviously conditions play bigger role at track, but there are good formulas to adj #s based on DA.

Like most, Id prefer to hit the trails/dirt/etc, but glad this thread didnt go down path it usually does. @Micha, let when you plan to venture out next, id be up for hotlapping at a spring weeknight T&T

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She attack. This was when I ran the 13.08. I actually used to own the black car I am racing against.
she attack.jpg

She flies like an eagle. This was the first time I launched her in the air, I almost shit my pants.
eagle.jpg

She is a dirty girl and loves water sports.
shower.jpg

And then, I needed a refill on my mocha latte half caff double frothy.
she snack.jpg

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14.1 is GREAT even for a SCAB in 85F...38F Temps adds TONs of power alone, the 12 MPH Headwind hurts, but not as much as those Temps help I believe, and sounds like you're running a blended tune, which I know makes a big difference on my Mustang...if I ran an E85 Tune vs. a 93 Tune. 1200 miles is still very low, and the Truck should get loosened up and run even better for you. Were you running in Auto mode?

Agreed.

Thanks again for replying...I can't believe with all the Dyno numbers and Tunes going on not more people go to the actual track to get any kind of real world comparable figures. Dynos are great, but racing a clock is best to figure out where you're really at.

true, I run a blended 87/e85 tune. The 87 provides the fuel and the e85 provides the knock resistance.

I will probably get flak for this, but I run in 4A with traction control all the way off. Sport mode. Brake boost to 2500 RPM and launch. Cut a 1.8 60 ft last time too. She scoots on a decently prepped track. Oh yeah, stock BFGoodrich tires.

Also, I got tuned at 12 thousand miles, not 12 hundred.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true, I run a blended 87/e85 tune. The 87 provides the fuel and the e85 provides the knock resistance.

I will probably get flak for this, but I run in 4A with traction control all the way off. Sport mode. Brake boost to 2500 RPM and launch. Cut a 1.8 60 ft last time too. She scoots on a decently prepped track. Oh yeah, stock BFGoodrich tires.

Also, I got tuned at 12 thousand miles, not 12 hundred.

I have asked about running in 4-Auto several times, and it seems to be the preferred method, and I have always been assured it will not destroy anything… So you shouldn’t get any flack :)

1.8 60’ Time = Nuts for a Non AWD by nature full-size truck.

Roger that on the mileage, so fully broken In.