Which Tune...I know another Tune Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been reading up on Tunes now for the past month after waiting a year to do one on my 17 I got last Feb, and Going blind from thread to thread lol, but I wanted to wait and do it right.

I currently have zero issues w/my 17 drivability wise...the First day I drove it north 200+ miles, in sport mode it was acting crazy, but the ECU smoothed all of that out and it's been fine except for the occasional gera slam if you get into the gas, but have to pull out quick type scenario.

I also bought the SP542s and gapped to .025 to be proactive.

I know a lot of you have tried multiple tunes/combos, etc...so I am hoping you can impart some serious wisdom/experience for my needs which are:

I am in MA, and Drive in MA & NH 99.99% of the year...which means I
have access to 93 99% of the time, and 91 100% of the time.

I tow everything from Sleds, ATVS, a RZR 900S, Logs, Pallets, etc...I use
My Truck as a truck...sometimes in bed, other times in 12' Landscaping
Trailer, or 12' Hybrid or 18' V-Nose...So I need to account for those times
when I am towing which is NOT all the time, but enough times where I
can't ignore it. In my experience using 93 has always been fine with
everything on my top tunes for my 14 Raptor or my 08 Sierra Denali.

As in many other states...we have Rain, snow, ice, etc...here...and I
already deal with taking right and left hand turns and a rear tire breaking
loose with only the SPD Adaptors (which I feel did nothing, but full
disclosure), so I don't want crazy throttle tip in (I have no idea how
people want or use those Pedal Commanders), and I don't want crazy
firm shifts slamming gear to gear (Anyone with a Gen 1 Raptor know
some of those Tunes did that with the 6 Spd and it was horrible).

I want something that has the extra power, but when I step on the gas
and really get into it/call for it vs. the instant my foot touches the pedal
the truck is breaking the tires loose and slamming the $hit out of gears.
So I want to retain daily driver drivability, but reap the rewards of more
power ;-)

I think the Whipple Tune thread goes over 50 #$%^&* pages...

So here is where I am at:

Whipple

Gearhead

MPT

So, Whipple Stage 1 Kit has the Intercooler, CAI, + the Tune....Which you can buy ala carte now I believe, but for almost $400 am I getting any tangible benefit from the CAI? Not sure why their bundle literally only saves $30, but it is what it is if it's worth it. Not a big fan of NOT having my stock tune right off the bat though.

Does the intercooler make that much of a difference for daily driving? I believe it 100% retains the stock location...is that correct?

Gearhead I know the least about, but I really don't hear anything bad on here about them...what's their up and downsides in a nutshell?

MPT...Seems to have the most options, but I am not a huge fan of the N-Guage although I would figure it out I'm sure as far as mounting, etc.

Questions are:

1.) Do all 3 do Trans Tuning? Why would someone NOT do/include it?

2.) Which one is the most flexible as far as Towing...I have 91 & 93
available everywhere here in MA/NH.

3.) Do I get my stock tune with MPT & Gearhead?

4.) Can I diagnose and clear codes w/each hand held tuner like I can
with my Cobb Accessport on my Ecoboost Mustang?

5.) Does one have more or less trouble with throwing codes at this
point? I don’t have the Adaptive Cruise Control on my Raptor, but
the big reason I waited is b/c I didn't want to be doing free R&D
for one of these companies as I've been there & done that.

6.) Does one have the firmest, yet smoothest shifting from Gear to
Gear...10 spds is a lot to manage.

7.) Which one has the best Daily Driver, but most noticeable added
power w/smoothest shifting?

Please keep the "use the search" and the like comments off this thread and only reply with our wisdom and experience, thanks in advance.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had them all.

Mpt is the most aggressive. The 93 tow tune however is extremely drivable and would serve your purposes.

Whipple is next on the list. The throttle tip in is more than stock but not wild. It’s pretty bullet proof with the intercooler and CAI.

The most factory feeling tune, hands down. With the smoothest transmission is Gearhead. These guys do trucks, all the time. It’s what their business is built upon. So their tune feels like a truck. The throttle is extremely linear and the shifting is buttery.

It’s the slowest of the 3 tunes... by a fair clip.

Best of luck

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but did you run the Whipple tune from your NGauge?

I have had them all.

Mpt is the most aggressive. The 93 tow tune however is extremely drivable and would serve your purposes.

Whipple is next on the list. The throttle tip in is more than stock but not wild. It’s pretty bullet proof with the intercooler and CAI.

The most factory feeling tune, hands down. With the smoothest transmission is Gearhead. These guys do trucks, all the time. It’s what their business is built upon. So their tune feels like a truck. The throttle is extremely linear and the shifting is buttery.

Best of luck

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had them all.

Best of luck

Ok, so Gearhead, for the time being we will toss asside as too tame.

Do all (3) Do Trans Tuning? Do you know why anyone would not?

What did the CAI actually gain you? Did you do the Whipple one?

Do you think the Intercooler is necessary? For either MPT or Whipple?

Is the Whipple Throttle Tip in less than ANY of the MPT Tunes...Tow or Non Tow...93 or 91?

Does Whipple even care/account for if you tow, or is there tune mellow enough that if you use the correct/recommended octane you're good to go?

Gun to your head...MPT or Whipple??? Who do you go w/and why please?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No

Whipple only has the whipple tuner.

The whipple tune was installed on a friend’s truck. So I didn’t install it. He was an early adopter.

It’s a really nice tune in terms of drivability and overall it’s very well rounded. I think bad I gone with whipple and never drove another tune I’d be very happy with it.

Not to hijack, but did you run the Whipple tune from your NGauge?

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For driveability you cannot beat gearhead. Transmission is perfect. For track running yes there is more agressive. But one tune for towing,and what ever you are doing. Whatever you have for fuel is fine. Simple tune that works . And drives.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The intercooler is optional but I recommend it. It adds a few ponies and makes for consistent power.

The cai... eh.... again adds a few ponies.... nothing great.... but it’s the whole package.

The downside to whipple is that it’s one and done and you can’t customize it.

MPT will give you any throttle tip in you want..,. Including stock.

Mpt 93 tow tune with a near stock tip in is probably what you want.

butts182

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You live up north in cooler weather so I wouldn’t waste your time or money on an inter cooler. I ran 3 back to back to back 1/4 miles runs last weekend at the drag strip in South Florida in 80 degree weather. Each time was faster than the one before. “Heat soak” didn’t affect my times or power apparently.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaning towards MPT at this point with stock intercooler and Intake. I did a UPR Catch Can last year, I have those SP542 plugs to throw in gapped at .025, they came gapped at .028 FYI, and see what's what from there I think.

As butts182 said, and he's in FL, it's only hot here in NE 3-4 months a year...and I've got access to 91/93 Octane all the time.

I also like that MPT retains your stock tune as well as gives us multiple tunes to go with.