Transmission Durability after Tuning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the Raptor's transmission durability after adding an aftermarket performance tune?

I've read where some people have said "...It can handle x tune because it's the exact same transmission used in the Camaro ZL1 that pushes 640 ft-lbs of torque without problems...blah blah blah."

Sure, it does seem early on that the major automotive publications were reasonably spreading this rumor. However, I found information that contradicts that.

The transmissions certainly share the same core platform, but have different max torque ratings.

2017+ Raptor 10R80 Transmission:
  • Nominal MAX input torque 590 lb-ft

2017+ Camaro ZL1 10R90 Transmission:
  • Nominal MAX input torque 664 lb-ft

My observations...

MPT's newly released 93PRX tune, while it has earned phenomenal street cred, seems to push just beyond the boundaries of the stated specifications outlined by Ford. Because of this, it could reasonably cause concern regarding the long term durability of the Raptor's 10R80 transmission.

And... this may answer why Roush's recently released performance tune is a little underwhelming by comparison.

Your thoughts?

Dr.Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission is rated for 800 lb-ft

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

I know everyone keeps saying 800ft-lbs but this is what i found. And i called ford performance and he didn't have the spec to confirm, but he said everthing he knows of is rated in Newton-meters not ft-lbs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171016-145528.jpg
    Screenshot_20171016-145528.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 142

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Ford's transmission nomenclature is based on the number of forward "speeds/gears" and the maximum torque rating in LB/FT. 10R80 is the transmission. 10= 10 forward speeds/gears, 80 = 800LBFT of torque. It has been this way since at least the 90's. The Previous generation Raptor had 6R80 trans, 6-speed 800 LBFT.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We've been waiting nearly a year for the Ford Performance factory tune. Ford Performance has access to the original engineers and ECU source code, so they cold come up with a killer tune in an afternoon if they wanted. The question is why they haven't released one? My best guess is they are afraid it will push the drivetrain beyond its design limits and they don't want to warranty it.

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been waiting nearly a year for the Ford Performance factory tune. Ford Performance has access to the original engineers and ECU source code, so they cold come up with a killer tune in an afternoon if they wanted. The question is why they haven't released one? My best guess is they are afraid it will push the drivetrain beyond its design limits and they don't want to warranty it.

You realize any tune they put out has to go through longevity and weather testing in order to be approved for road use and warranty coverage in guess that is why it's taking so long .,. Yes they can tune it prolly in an hr but all the other requirements take time

Tsunami1983

Reaction score
I know everyone keeps saying 800ft-lbs but this is what i found. And i called ford performance and he didn't have the spec to confirm, but he said everthing he knows of is rated in Newton-meters not ft-lbs.

This is correct, the 800 is in Newton meters which converts to around 590 ft-lbs. The performance tune may slightly exceed rated capacity. Only time will tell how they hold up with the increase. I am doing that tune and not looking back, if it does kill tranny, there should be an aftermarket upgrade available by then, I'd like to hope. The increase in power is amazing for just a tune. I can't not do it.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got Sasquatch to like your post.

Lol

Ray Knight

Reaction score
I had 3 transmissions replaced on mine under warranty before my truck hit 3000 miles (2019). All of the issues were electrical related. Valve bodies, solenoids, etc. I think mechanically that transmission is solid. I doubt you will damage it with a hard tune. BUT for sure your warranty will be denied if it does break on its own when you have a tune on your truck. Then you are out probably 8-10K for a new transmission that may only last 200 miles like mine did. I would say if you are tuned hard then don't tow a huge load under full throttle and you probably don't need to worry about anything mechanical going wrong. But if that electrical stuff starts messing up....good luck.