This is stupid - cannot find a competent shop to install my exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BudTX

Reaction score
I purchased a Borla S Type cat back system for my 2018. It was delivered a couple of days ago, and I thought that it would be a simple exercise to find a local shop to install it for me.

I talked to the dealer where I purchased the Raptor, and spoke with the service manager before I ordered the exhaust. He said that he could take care of it for a couple of hours worth of labor. Sounded confident. I ordered the exhaust, and called him the day it came in. He was out for lunch, so I spoke with the guy covering for him, explaining my previous conversation and wanting to make an appointment. He said that I would need to talk to the service manager himself, and took my name, number and a description of what I was calling about.

I never received a return call.

I then went to a couple of local independent muffler shops. Neither one of them had ever seen a Raptor in person, and both crawled under the truck to look at what needed to be done. They both came back with "at least 3 hours" of labor. They also seemed a bit puzzled at the dual exhaust. They said that they would "do their best" to make the new one fit. That did not instill much confidence for me.

This is stupid. I live in the Kansas City area and can't find a freaking shop that is competent enough to install a catback dual exhaust. If I had access to a lift and an extra pair of hands I would do it myself.

Just bitching...

mcasseba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch a CJ pony video and do it yourself in the driveway. Its pretty straightforward and takes 2 hours if you take your time. Don't even have to jack up the truck but do need to lower spare tire to the ground.

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the box and look at what's in there. Nothing enormous or heavy. Crawl under your truck and look at parts to be removed. Take a deep breath, say "I can do this", and go...

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Even if you don't have the tools, you could buy them and still save money.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Socket wrench. 13mm and 15mm. Can of WD40. Takes 2 hours if your taking your time. Especially easy if you are removing an exhaust that hasn’t been on the truck very long. I knocked out my 14 exhaust around 1.5 hours. Keep everything loose until it’s all assembled. Line up tips and tighten everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a 10mm socket and a crescent wrench in addition to the above. If the exhaust has been on the truck a bit go buy a can of PB Blaster and soak all the bolts in it. Let it sit for a little bit and loosen them up.

You don't need a jack or lift. You don't even need to lower the spare tire. It's pretty easy.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
No lift needed. Definitely a DIY mod. Very basic hand tools and maybe an hour of your time. Unbolt the old and install the new. New cutting or welding. Everything you need except the hand tools is in the kit.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
if you can turn a wrench you can easily do a bolt in cat back install. they covered the items needed pretty well. I also would add a spray bottle with some soapy water in it. spray all the rubber hangers with the soapy(dawn dish soap) water before you remove the stock exhaust and again when you install the new exhaust. that will help the hangers slide out and in a lot easier.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I then went to a couple of local independent muffler shops. Neither one of them had ever seen a Raptor in person, and both crawled under the truck to look at what needed to be done. They both came back with "at least 3 hours" of labor. They also seemed a bit puzzled at the dual exhaust. They said that they would "do their best" to make the new one fit.

This is all I could picture.

4a---u-turn-billy-bob.jpg

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As stated above this is one of the easiest mods you’ll do to your truck, plus you’ll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself!

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased a Borla S Type cat back system for my 2018. It was delivered a couple of days ago, and I thought that it would be a simple exercise to find a local shop to install it for me.

I talked to the dealer where I purchased the Raptor, and spoke with the service manager before I ordered the exhaust. He said that he could take care of it for a couple of hours worth of labor. Sounded confident. I ordered the exhaust, and called him the day it came in. He was out for lunch, so I spoke with the guy covering for him, explaining my previous conversation and wanting to make an appointment. He said that I would need to talk to the service manager himself, and took my name, number and a description of what I was calling about.

I never received a return call.

I then went to a couple of local independent muffler shops. Neither one of them had ever seen a Raptor in person, and both crawled under the truck to look at what needed to be done. They both came back with "at least 3 hours" of labor. They also seemed a bit puzzled at the dual exhaust. They said that they would "do their best" to make the new one fit. That did not instill much confidence for me.

This is stupid. I live in the Kansas City area and can't find a freaking shop that is competent enough to install a catback dual exhaust. If I had access to a lift and an extra pair of hands I would do it myself.

Just bitching...

You're right, this is stupid. Quit bitchin' and do it yourself snowflake.

Last edited: