GEN 2 Steering wheel vibration and truck shuddering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Debunked? Really? The guy with the 17 Raptor which is in for transmission issues and misfires got a loaner 17 3.5 ecoboost that also had misfire issues.

Pay attention. Wee hole crying has been about pre-2015 models.
Transmission is a different issue.

we all know you don’t like the new Raptor, but you’ve continued to assert rumor as fact here with nothing to back it up. Show some supporting evidence already.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be engine knocking, but I'm not quite sure. It's definitely not the alert/aid for the lane keeping system as I tried and replicated the issue with and without lane keeping on.

When I'm accelerating easily or maintaining a speed I feel slight rumbling in my steering wheel every half second or so. My butt feels it slightly as well. My MPG gauge also goes all over the place when I feel it (generally always above 40-45 mph).

I have had shuddering issues with my truck, caused by several different things:
1) I had to have the rear tires replaced because they were so far out of spec that they couldn't be balanced. This didn't cause any shuddering in the steering wheel since the bad tires were on the rear, but it definitely would have made my steering wheel vibrate if they were on the front.
2) I kept feeling shuddering when accelerating (also felt like the engine was missing) and traced a majority of that issue back to using 87 octane gas. I think the truck was altering the timing and the majority of the issue has gone away now that I am running 93 octane.
3) My truck still insists on upshifting too early when I am just coasting and it will shudder some because it is in too tall of a gear for the speed that I am going.
4) Occasionally have vibration in the gas pedal which is very annoying. Not sure what is causing this.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I have had shuddering issues with my truck, caused by several different things:
1) I had to have the rear tires replaced because they were so far out of spec that they couldn't be balanced. This didn't cause any shuddering in the steering wheel since the bad tires were on the rear, but it definitely would have made my steering wheel vibrate if they were on the front.
2) I kept feeling shuddering when accelerating (also felt like the engine was missing) and traced a majority of that issue back to using 87 octane gas. I think the truck was altering the timing and the majority of the issue has gone away now that I am running 93 octane.
3) My truck still insists on upshifting too early when I am just coasting and it will shudder some because it is in too tall of a gear for the speed that I am going.
4) Occasionally have vibration in the gas pedal which is very annoying. Not sure what is causing this.

Jeff, you might have bad knock sensors. I’ve run 87 octane since day one
<queue the supernatural aspiration purists> Yeah, I know, I know. I’m a turbo-heretic, etc.

and I’ve jumped on it hard several times with no hint of issue. I’ve also seen the same “jumping into gear” too early, and have no shuddering like you describe.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff, you might have bad knock sensors. I’ve run 87 octane since day one
<queue the supernatural aspiration purists> Yeah, I know, I know. I’m a turbo-heretic, etc.

and I’ve jumped on it hard several times with no hint of issue. I’ve also seen the same “jumping into gear” too early, and have no shuddering like you describe.

Thanks for the response. I will talk to the dealer about it. Changing the gas to high octane helped, but it did not 100% fix the problem, so you might be correct about needing a new knock sensor. Thanks!!!!

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I sold my Lighting in ’09, so I may be mis-remembering but I think I remember some chatter about the knock sensors in the ... rather loud... supercharged 5.4. It was a bit ambiguous to detect because there fairly pronounced piston slap in those motors. It also cut spark (or was it fuel?) for the 1-2 upshift, so it kind of sounded like flatulence. It was tough to make an issue of that because that motor / exhaust sounded sweet.

I do know that I’ve been keeping an eye out for similar symptoms, I’ve mentioned before I’ve seen the Raptor jump high in the gear range, having the engine loafing as low as 1100 rpms. I’ve had it try to “boost” through acceleration requests - the trans stubbornly holding a gear as I add throttle, but no hint of shuddering ( like my turbo outback did ). So that’s why I’m suggesting the knock sensor.
Good luck.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's 99% the gas. I cannot believe people run 87 octane on a twin turbo v6. How Ford let this slide is a mistake. Anyone running shit gas will run into this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously... you guys need to look at the findings and facts from the gen 1 ecoboost crew. They have 6yrs of data showing that this is the fix... it works and is safe.

You guys will come around...

Last edited: