GEN 2 Steering is slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not impressed by the electric steering, very little road feel, and it's soooo slow. Have to crank the wheel 1/2 turn to get a little steering angle. Already running "sports" mode, still have to turn the wheel a lot.

Wish there was a Steering Commander.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Slow as compared to what? I don't notice much difference between it and other vehicles and feel plenty of feedback. For a big truck with huge tires I'm actually surprised at how nimble it is.....

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The G1 steering had better road feel, they did try to match it IMO. Turning radius feels a tad bit wider also.

OP
OP
P

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slow compared to pretty much everything I have driven in the last 10 years? My other truck is a Ram 2500 on 35" and the steering feels better. I am not expecting this to feel like my Lotus, but I didn't expect it to feel like driving a video game :)

My only other vehicle with electric steering is my wife's Fiat, and the steering isn't that bad.

Don't get my wrong, loving this truck, just not crazy about the steering (and brake).

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Slow compared to pretty much everything I have driven in the last 10 years? My other truck is a Ram 2500 on 35" and the steering feels better. I am not expecting this to feel like my Lotus, but I didn't expect it to feel like driving a video game :)

My only other vehicle with electric steering is my wife's Fiat, and the steering isn't that bad.

Don't get my wrong, loving this truck, just not crazy about the steering (and brake).

Obviously, I disagree on all counts and I've driven a lot of vehicles.

OP
OP
P

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there another setting aside from sport/comfort/normal?

OP
OP
P

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did a little testing today, when I make a turn on a normal speed at normal speeds, I need about 270 degrees of steering input to complete the turn. Raptors have short arms, Ford should know this and program the electric steering to be much faster!

My Schnell

Reaction score
So I did a little testing today, when I make a turn on a normal speed at normal speeds, I need about 270 degrees of steering input to complete the turn. Raptors have short arms, Ford should know this and program the electric steering to be much faster!

Are you saying that the trucks have adaptive steering, like BMW?

Where there is less steering input (degrees) to steer less at slower speeds...and more at higher speeds. BMW has this as an option on many of it's auto line...I will never opt for this though as I want direct steering/linear input during all speeds/conditions.

From what I understand, electric steering is how the pump is driven not that the ratio is changed speed dependent.

Or, are you saying that you want a quicker ratio? 12:1 vs 14:1?