Stainless Works downpipe and exhaust review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the downpipes with high flow cats and catback exhaust were delivered last week. Initial impressions were everything looks high quality: welds, connections, adapters etc. Downpipes and catback came in two different boxes. Make sure you read the directions in their entirety. It will save you some time if you skip steps.

The downpipe box came with a stud removal socket, bolts, clamps, and O2 extension wiring. The original O2 sensor clip is hard to reach from under the truck so the extensions help out greatly.

If you get the downpipe kit check the O2 extensions they send you. They sent me the wrong ones. You’ll need ones with 4 pins and they sent me ones with 5 pins. I called SW and they overnighted me a new set of extensions.

The catback box comes with everything for installation aside for one factory clamp you will reuse.

The downpipe installation was rough and took a while. I’d say ¾ of my time was spent on the downpipes and the rest of the time was installing the rest of the exhaust.

I would definitely recommend watching Muredhawk’s video for turbo adapter removal. I bought the stud removal tool he recommended and a butane torch. The studs came out no problem. I also used PB Blaster on all the bolts and had no issue loosening them.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/spd-turbo-adapter-install-easy-way-video-54742/

The truck sounds awesome now! I’ve had multiple neighbors comment how they like the sound. It is pretty loud but not obnoxious loud. Idle sounds like a mini Cummins diesel.

Since the exhaust tips are adjustable I initially tucked them more under the bumper. This made exhaust noise seem louder than it should inside the cab because the sound was reverberating underneath the bed. So I pulled out the tips and used exhaust wrap to wrap the pipes from the downpipes back. The difference in sound is incredible. The loud noise inside the cab is gone and I can enjoy the exhaust now. I live in AZ so I really don’t worry about corrosion, but I’ll eventually coat the wrap with silicone sealant. I do go off the beaten path from my local Starbucks so I’ll see how the wrap holds up over time.

I have the 5 Star Tune with N Gauge as well. Right now the truck is still throwing codes about the high flow cats. I called 5 Star and they said SW moved the O2 sensor positions. I should have a new tune in the next few days addressing it. EDIT: New tune fixed the codes.

There is a noticeable difference in power with the tune and exhaust setup. The shift points and throttle sensitivity is much better than before.

And a buddy down the road with a Roush S/C Gen 1 gave it his stamp of approval.

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

Warmed Up Idle Video
https://youtu.be/vALu66-mMak

Quick warm startup and rev video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0R5G3dlhFY

EDIT: Quick driving clip on the dirt in Baja mode. Turn the volume all the way up. Sounds pretty good. I've got the Full Race I/C and CAI, Stainless Works exhaust/DP, and 5 Star tune running 91 Street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsdoPitgYWc

Last edited:

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Good write up man! This is the setup I want after the warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a short clip warm startup and rev

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Good work. I assume you removed the pipes to wrap them?

Unfortunately no. The wrap idea came about after installation and i just wrapped them in place. Didn't want to disassemble it again. I would definitely wrap when they aren't on the truck if they did it again.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Ha it does sound like a little diesel. You keeping the chrome tips? Post some clips of fly bys and acceleration!

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha it does sound like a little diesel. You keeping the chrome tips? Post some clips of fly bys and acceleration!

At first I was dead set against them. They are growing on me a little bit now. I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

I'll def get some more videos as soon as I can. Need to find a cameraman. I'm going to do the other vids in the dirt because......that's just the way it should be.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
At first I was dead set against them. They are growing on me a little bit now. I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

I'll def get some more videos as soon as I can. Need to find a cameraman. I'm going to do the other vids in the dirt because......that's just the way it should be.

Come up from Tucson and I'll be your cameraman lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the downpipes with high flow cats and catback exhaust were delivered last week. Initial impressions were everything looks high quality: welds, connections, adapters etc. Downpipes and catback came in two different boxes. Make sure you read the directions in their entirety. It will save you some time if you skip steps.

The downpipe box came with a stud removal socket, bolts, clamps, and O2 extension wiring. The original O2 sensor clip is hard to reach from under the truck so the extensions help out greatly.

If you get the downpipe kit check the O2 extensions they send you. They sent me the wrong ones. You’ll need ones with 4 pins and they sent me ones with 5 pins. I called SW and they overnighted me a new set of extensions.

The catback box comes with everything for installation aside for one factory clamp you will reuse.

The downpipe installation was rough and took a while. I’d say ¾ of my time was spent on the downpipes and the rest of the time was installing the rest of the exhaust.

I would definitely recommend watching Muredhawk’s video for turbo adapter removal. I bought the stud removal tool he recommended and a butane torch. The studs came out no problem. I also used PB Blaster on all the bolts and had no issue loosening them.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/spd-turbo-adapter-install-easy-way-video-54742/

The truck sounds awesome now! I’ve had multiple neighbors comment how they like the sound. It is pretty loud but not obnoxious loud. Idle sounds like a mini Cummins diesel.

Since the exhaust tips are adjustable I initially tucked them more under the bumper. This created extremely bad drone because the sound was reverberating underneath the bed. Inside the cab the drone was bad. So I pulled out the tips and used exhaust wrap to wrap the pipes from the downpipes back. The difference in sound is incredible. The drone is gone and I can enjoy the exhaust now. I live in AZ so I really don’t worry about corrosion, but I’ll eventually coat the wrap with silicone sealant. I do go off the beaten path from my local Starbucks so I’ll see how the wrap holds up over time.

I have the 5 Star Tune with N Gauge as well. Right now the truck is still throwing codes about the high flow cats. I called 5 Star and they said SW moved the O2 sensor positions. I should have a new tune in the next few days addressing it.

There is a noticeable difference in power with the tune and exhaust setup. The shift points and throttle sensitivity is much better than before.

And a buddy down the road with a Roush S/C Gen 1 gave it his stamp of approval.

I'll get better videos in a few days. There's a rattle I need to narrow down and fix.

View attachment 90138

View attachment 90139

View attachment 90140

View attachment 90141

Warmed Up Idle Video
https://youtu.be/vALu66-mMak

Quick warm startup and rev video

K-Rub,

Want to make sure I understand you. This system droned until you put the exhaust wrap on? I am doing down pipes only so I am just curious.