Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

SPD turbo adapters and Kooks catted downpipe install tips/help

This is a discussion on SPD turbo adapters and Kooks catted downpipe install tips/help within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
You kinda need a real torch to get the proper heat and accuracy to do it properly. A handheld map ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You kinda need a real torch to get the proper heat and accuracy to do it properly. A handheld map gas torch will heat to broad of an area.

Also, you want a chuck style stud extractor.

I couldn't get mine out first try and had to button it back up. took a second attempt with a real torch and did it in like 2 hours, including dropping the tranny cross member.

edit:

I took pics and commented here

I installed SPD exhaust adapter this weekend myself

Last edited by xrocket21; 07-12-2018 at 07:41 AM.
xrocket21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Guy
FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

The SPD adapters didnít do a darn thing for me. They werenít that bad too install, but they didnít add even a .1 to my 0-60 time.

Just my two cents. I wouldnít have bothered if I had to do it over again.

Originally Posted by Onemoosehorn View Post
Thanks. Iím going to pick up a bottle of Mapp gas to use. I believe thatís the yellow bottle. Iím hoping they arenít to bad with only 3600 miles on it.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
You kinda need a real torch to get the proper heat and accuracy to do it properly. A handheld map gas torch will heat to broad of an area.

Also, you want a chuck style stud extractor.

I couldn't get mine out first try and had to button it back up. took a second attempt with a real torch and did it in like 2 hours, including dropping the tranny cross member.

edit:

I took pics and commented here

I installed SPD exhaust adapter this weekend myself

Thanks for the link. I have the extractor that SPD sends/recommends. It looks like it should do the job.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

I figured if I was changing downpipes I would change the adapters also. Seemed like they were pretty good cost wise for the HP gain they claimed.

Do the nuts come off the adapter downpipe side pretty easy?
Onemoosehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Full Access Member

remove the trans cross member, you might have to remove a heat shield for clearance at reassembly also.

the stud extractor isn't worth a darn, use one of those sockets that tightens up as you twist it, latches and tightens onto anything.

heat for sure.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Onemoosehorn View Post
Thanks for the link. I have the extractor that SPD sends/recommends. It looks like it should do the job.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

I figured if I was changing downpipes I would change the adapters also. Seemed like they were pretty good cost wise for the HP gain they claimed.

Do the nuts come off the adapter downpipe side pretty easy?
The nuts came off very easy, not a problem. It is the steel stud into the cast turbo housing that's the problem. I tried to do mine at like 500 miles hoping it would help and it was still in impossibly tight without a torch. With a torch, the studs came out fairly easily.

you do NOT want to break a stud off in the turbo housing.

Also, you will destroy the old studs when removing them.

SPD adapters has an outlet of 2.3125" ID compared to the stock outlet which is 2.0625" ID.
xrocket21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
remove the trans cross member, you might have to remove a heat shield for clearance at reassembly also.

the stud extractor isn't worth a darn, use one of those sockets that tightens up as you twist it, latches and tightens onto anything.

heat for sure.
That’s the kind of extractor I bought. That’s what they recommend/include now for an extra $25. I bought the stud kit also.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Full Access Member

the one I am talking about is a snap on socket, the one that was included did not get a good grip, unless it's new like 2 weeks or less. :-) if so, that's awesome!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
the one I am talking about is a snap on socket, the one that was included did not get a good grip, unless it's new like 2 weeks or less. :-) if so, that's awesome!

Ok Iím not sure then. This is the exact one they sent me.

TITAN - 16023
Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Full Access Member

that's the one that came to me also, it was too big to get a good grip. here is what you need, it's a 3/8 roller bearing stud remover.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1367.jpg  
Pyro3601 likes this.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
that's the one that came to me also, it was too big to get a good grip. here is what you need, it's a 3/8 roller bearing stud remover.
Thanks. Iíll look into that one.