SPD Turbo Adapter install the easy way (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muredhawk

Reaction score
Hello,

I just installed the larger turbo adapters on my Raptor. I decided to make a video of it because most people are taking off the downpipes to do it and I haven't been able to find a good video of it being done. The same video will work for other ecoboosts as well.

I would recommend doing this as it is cheap and relatively easy. I really like the way the truck drives afterwards. It does make a noticeable difference on power!

https://youtu.be/YHd5Bv79rmI

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man you're Good.

Nice job on this, you make it seem too easy, I don't think I could do that on my driveway .

Fwiw my shop didn't use heat because they didn't want to scald the turbos in any way. They waited for it to get really cold and just worked to get the nuts out.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Borla!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man you're Good.

Nice job on this, you make it seem too easy, I don't think I could do that on my driveway .

Fwiw my shop didn't use heat because they didn't want to scald the turbos in any way. They waited for it to get really cold and just worked to get the nuts out.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Borla!

Odd thing for them to say, a cast turbo housing is made to handle a lot of heat easily...

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Odd thing for them to say, a cast turbo housing is made to handle a lot of heat easily...
That's what I thought, considering it gets red hot when you run it.. it didn't make much sense to me. On any case it cost $200 to install.

OP
OP
M

Muredhawk

Reaction score
That's what I thought, considering it gets red hot when you run it.. it didn't make much sense to me. On any case it cost $200 to install.

There is no way that I got the hot side as hot as a good romp down the highway. Although waiting until cold could work, I would be way too worried about snapping a stud in the turbo housing...

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no way that I got the hot side as hot as a good romp down the highway. Although waiting until cold could work, I would be way too worried about snapping a stud in the turbo housing...
Yeah, you def make it look easy. I agree it makes a difference in drivability. You will absolutely *love* the Borla man. It's beautiful and sounds nuts.

Elite_KG

Reaction score
This thread and the video from Mutedhawk was very helpful.

I installed mine today. SPD now inlcudes the Titan stud extractor with the install kit. All went smoothly. It is just hard working around the down pipes. Took me about 6 hours start to finish. Had to loosen the exhaust clamps all the way back to the muffler to pull the downpipes back and somewhat out of the way.

Butt dyno says there is either a slight diffence in spool up or nothing at all. I dont regret doing it. Maybe I will see more feom a Ford Performance or Roush tune with the adaptors installed. Hopefully a tune will be out soon.

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the turbos installed a week, i dont see any noticeable difference, dyno doesnt show any significant difference either. Hoping once i instal the CAI and tune i will see a diff, the borla atak made more of a difference then the adaptors in my opinion.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you guys do downpipes in conjunction with the adapters you will notice a huge difference also a tune. That is the best power adding combo on this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chi_weezy

Reaction score
If you guys do downpipes in conjunction with the adapters you will notice a huge difference also a tune. That is the best power adding combo on this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps wrong thread but I'm curious about a tune only on this truck. No exhaust or intake mods.

Because I saw online that SPD added the adapters, FMIC, and intake (3 bolt ons) and made 68whp and 75tq on the actual dyno. No tune.

But I feel like a tune could squeak out similar numbers, and is about $600 vs +\- $2k and way easier/quicker