SP542 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I tried it when traveling to/from Dallas a couple of weekends ago. I found it was slowing down to soon for my tastes, so I kept turning it off.

That’s why there are multiple distance to target settings. That’s what it is right? You line up the center axis of the truck on a vehicle and the dash shows a little car icon between the various display icons. This means we have a firing solution. Now, you can either close the gap for non H/E or increase the gap for things that go boom on impact; that pair of buttons is on the left of the wheel with up / down arrows.

It took me some getting used to as well, with the hateful (L)east coast and i-95 traffic. on default, the gap is big enough that the suv piloting ***holes from the wide variety of grossly overpopulated states like to jump in, 100% of the time when you’re accelerating. as soon as they do the truck drops anchor.

close the gap down to “east coast” distance and there isn’t room for the coffee sipping in one hand, cigarette smoking in the other, while cradling a cell phone between their head and neck because they can’t miss this call with their bff, boneheaded suv pilot to make a lane change without pin balling to the shoulder.

If it’s just intermittent slow movers, set the distance to “island time” or max distance and you’ll have acres of padding between you and others in front.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried it when traveling to/from Dallas a couple of weekends ago. I found it was slowing down to soon for my tastes, so I kept turning it off.

Agree. I know we're way off topic here, but if you're a "spirited" (ok, aggressive) and impatient driver like me in moderate traffic, who hates cars who jump (or stay) in the left lane when traveling less than ~8mph over the limit, you'll immediately turn off adaptive cruise, even on the shortest following distance setting.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree. I know we're way off topic here, but if you're a "spirited" (ok, aggressive) and impatient driver like me in moderate traffic, who hates cars who jump (or stay) in the left lane when traveling less than ~8mph over the limit, you'll immediately turn off adaptive cruise, even on the shortest following distance setting.

I think that about sums it up. I did not try it at the shortest distance, but when I am driving between Houston and Dallas, I like to keep the other cars pretty close so I can stay in the faster left lane on I-45. If the road was clear with only a few occasional cars, it was fine. As soon as the traffic got busy as I approached the city, it got annoying pretty fast.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I think that about sums it up. I did not try it at the shortest distance, but when I am driving between Houston and Dallas, I like to keep the other cars pretty close so I can stay in the faster left lane on I-45. If the road was clear with only a few occasional cars, it was fine. As soon as the traffic got busy as I approached the city, it got annoying pretty fast.

Never, EVER, travel to Maryland. I’ve been a lot of places, I have driven and ridden a lot of places and nowhere I’ve been compares to the sense of entitlement to ride the left lane at the speed limit like MD. Nowhere.

ACC has its place, and I disengage it sometimes too. Hey, you can always reengage quickly with resume.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have zero doubt that when I swapped mine it ran smoother and was quieter. I likened it to the same sound you get when you change your oil and first start it up...you can just hear its smoother. Didn't notice a performance gain but I do have a tune and small performance changes aren't that noticeable anyway at this point.

I am really glad that installing the 542 plugs has worked for others, but it did not fix my truck's "missing" or "stuttering" issues (I gapped them at .028). From what I can gather, if I drive fairly aggressively, I generally don't have noticeable issues. The problem seems to arise with light to very light throttle inputs. That said, when it starts stuttering, giving the truck more gas does not help the situation. I generally have to let off the gas and then give it more throttle to get the problem to go away.

The problem seems to mostly occur between 1200 and 1800 RPMs just before what I think are the turbos starting to spool up???? I know those are fairly low RPMs, but I don't think it is an overload issue with the truck not churning enough RPMs, but something else.

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I am really glad that installing the 542 plugs has worked for others, but it did not fix my truck's "missing" or "stuttering" issues (I gapped them at .028). From what I can gather, if I drive fairly aggressively, I generally don't have noticeable issues. The problem seems to arise with light to very light throttle inputs. That said, when it starts stuttering, giving the truck more gas does not help the situation. I generally have to let off the gas and then give it more throttle to get the problem to go away.

The problem seems to mostly occur between 1200 and 1800 RPMs just before what I think are the turbos starting to spool up???? I know those are fairly low RPMs, but I don't think it is an overload issue with the truck not churning enough RPMs, but something else.

do you have any sort of tune?

I've come to notice that ANY modification to the PCM ( even to a degree a pedal commander) makes the torque management system pretty quirky. I have a feeling that there are some nannies coded into the module that do not react well to any changes whatsoever in the engine mapping.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That RPM range is in line with peak cylinder pressures in turbo motors and can be an indication of knock, pinging, detonation. That's what I experienced in years of running a 944 turbo race car

smurfslayer

Reaction score
What would cause spark to go out?

I’ve heard that telling your current wife about your current girlfriend can have this effect. Also, a frying pan to the head.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

This really sounds like it’s related to the problem that @‘03Darin was attempting to run to ground; in his case, a long pull up a hill at steady throttle in 5th gear. IIRC, they found a bunch of small throttle inputs, or similar causing the sensation. Maybe he could chime in with an update