So where is the cold air coming from on a GEN 2??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just flipped open my hood to see how the new aFe would install.. I just realized that the factory intake isn't actually taking in cold air from anywhere. It's really weird, there's a vent going to the hood, but that part of the hood is solid.

I don't get it. I thought people were saying these engines don't like heat.

How exactly is this thing getting any air with this current setup? Anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ocbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cold air intake is different than what keeps them cool. Intercoolers cool the turbos and air flow in. Radiators cool water etc. I just think you may misunderstand about it having a CAI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bullishone

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A cold air intake is different than what keeps them cool. Intercoolers cool the turbos and air flow in. Radiators cool water etc. I just think you may misunderstand about it having a CAI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No I mean I get it, but it looks like it gets NO air from under the hood. Look under your hood and you'll see what I mean. It's almost like they put a gasket to mask the sound?

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Doesn't that scoop at the front go down into the intake box?
Nope. That scoop is just a vent.

OP
OP
Bullishone

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well if you look at aFes two options, one of them follows the factory design somewhat while the other is a radical departure.

I was just wondering if any "cold" air gets in but I guess not.

darkneo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I mean I get it, but it looks like it gets NO air from under the hood. Look under your hood and you'll see what I mean. It's almost like they put a gasket to mask the sound?

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Nope. That scoop is just a vent.

Well it gets it from the scoop at the front. I guess from air entering from the grill coming up?
feedb5f61b04becf5e8cc09afe86b2b0.jpg

OP
OP
Bullishone

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it's what I thought too, but if you look at the lines of the hood, that just doesn't make sense. Almost looks like it's sealed. Check it.