GEN 2 Shudder at Idle with AC on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IAC? That's not been on any Ford in at least the last 5 years.

Throttle by wire and all.

The smaller the engine is, the more you will feel it when the A/C compressor kicks on. It probably is normal. I don't see how the clutch or compressor could be at fault. It's either engaged and working or it's not.

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what stock idle should be?

IAC is a solenoid (?) that adjusts or increases the throttle when the A/C is engaged. On some vehicles you can feel it engage; turn on A/C - being careful not to lose grip on the stbks., idle goes down slightly, then comes back up, maybe just a tick over normal. Newer cars/trucks seem to be a bit more seamless for this and I’m not sure how much of this is now computer - still, worth a check.

You should not be idling below the factory default, regardless of A/C or not.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
IAC? That's not been on any Ford in at least the last 5 years.

Throttle by wire and all.

The smaller the engine is, the more you will feel it when the A/C compressor kicks on. It probably is normal. I don't see how the clutch or compressor could be at fault. It's either engaged and working or it's not.

Then that narrows it down more. If it’s all computer controlled, they’re going to have to dig deeper. It’s most certainly not normal. My truck idles the same A/C or not and I’ll bet most here report the same.

I don’t see a faulty a/c or clutch as a binary failure. I’ve seen them locked up but usually after a ton of neglect. I’ve seen the clutch go out on one, but that was a no a/c issue, not poor idling.

A vacuum leak would manifest similarly but why wouldn’t you notice it when the a/c was off? I still think compressor / clutch, but if the idle’s adjusted by the computer, it’s not adjusting enough; meaning something is out of spec when the a/c is on.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket tune yet? Tuner might be able to offer you a hi idle option...? That could at least help troubleshoot until you figure it out.

Headed to the cart track sat at 10a if interested. Might be able to get your truck on the main track if nobody is using it...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still nothing from dealer, can't duplicate issue and only code is a charging code..... Ahhh I love this fvcking game

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one is making tuners yet from my knowledge. I just posted in Forscan if there is a way to enable high idle....

Do you have an aftermarket tune yet? Tuner might be able to offer you a hi idle option...? That could at least help troubleshoot until you figure it out.

Headed to the cart track sat at 10a if interested. Might be able to get your truck on the main track if nobody is using it...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have same thing going on, not 100% consistent, but AC off will stop shudder.