GEN 2 Shudder at Idle with AC on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we have narrowed the issue down with the rough idle/ shuddering. It seems that when the AC Compressor is on the RPMS drop significantly due to the load causing the truck to shudder at idle or when coming to a sudden stop.

I know there are a few others with this issue, but I looking for solutions other than just leave the AC off on a $75k truck. (Plus I live in New Orleans 100 degree heat & humidity plus the caliber of people around here don't lend to rolled down windows.)

Dealer said there is nothing to do about it they have tried to reprogram the truck with no success to fixing the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does it too I discovered.

My advice... don't worry about it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Dino,
sounds like a bad AC, clutch, Idle air control valve or a combination. If it is the actual load that is causing the issue, that seems to point pretty hard at the compressor / clutch. If your RPMs are not actually dropping, then it would seem to exonerate the IAC, but you probably need a digital read out to confirm this.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's just weird to me that your dealer accepts it as normal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RPMS are dropping. I have a Raxiom Digital gauge and it drops from 650 RPMS to below 450 with AC compresser kicked on and the truck actually starts to miss. Under 550 gets worst as it goes lower

Where is the IAC located something easy to replace?

Dino,
sounds like a bad AC, clutch, Idle air control valve or a combination. If it is the actual load that is causing the issue, that seems to point pretty hard at the compressor / clutch. If your RPMs are not actually dropping, then it would seem to exonerate the IAC, but you probably need a digital read out to confirm this.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
IAC is a solenoid (?) that adjusts or increases the throttle when the A/C is engaged. On some vehicles you can feel it engage; turn on A/C - being careful not to lose grip on the stbks., idle goes down slightly, then comes back up, maybe just a tick over normal. Newer cars/trucks seem to be a bit more seamless for this and I’m not sure how much of this is now computer - still, worth a check.

You should not be idling below the factory default, regardless of A/C or not.