GEN 2 Rod Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to let people know what I've been dealing with the last few days. I went on a ~5,000 mile road trip in my 2017 Raptor over Easter weekend. I drove from Detroit, MI to Moab, UT (via IN, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, and AZ...then back through CO, KS, MO, IL, and IN). While out west, I drove through Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges National Park, Goblin Valley, and Canyonlands National Park. All of the driving I did was either highway, dirt/gravel roads, or offroad trails which were pretty basic (only 1 required 4x4 due to being a little muddy).

The truck had 17k miles on it when I left, and about 22k when I got back to Detroit. While I was driving through Denver on I-70, I noticed that at low speeds (1st-4th gears) and under light acceleration, there was a "knocking" sound right around 2k rpm. Every time I pulled off the interstate for fuel or food, I noticed the sound. The truck ran fine otherwise, with no engine light or fault codes. Once I got back to Detroit, I called the dealer and told the service manager what I was experiencing. He requested that I bring it in and take him for a ride to show him the issue. That afternoon (April 10th I think), I took him for a ride and he was definitely able to hear the sound, even though it is pretty quiet (compared to the CORSA exhaust). He set up an appointment for me to leave the vehicle there on April 17th (last Tuesday). I also asked them to do an oil change since I had just put 5k miles on the truck.

This is what the engine sounded like (please excuse the sound of my coat rubbing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBHSCPLsR4

Fast forward to today, and I called to get an update since I hadn't heard from them since last Thursday (and they had only taken the truck for a test drive to confirm the sound at that point). My service advisor tells me that they have ordered a new engine for my truck. :wtf2:
He said there was a rod knock and they needed to replace the short block (block, crank, pistons, rods for those who are not familiar). He also told me that their GM has been personally overseeing the process and is in contact with Ford Corporate, who have approved the claim.

So now I sit and wait for more news... I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks,
weezy

Tomkirkland4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks but it was nice following your journey on IG. Good luck with getting it repaired. I would tell the dealer to give me another one and trade it in. I’m sure you would take a small loss but they should be willing to work with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CatchMeOffroad

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks but it was nice following your journey on IG. Good luck with getting it repaired. I would tell the dealer to give me another one and trade it in. I’m sure you would take a small loss but they should be willing to work with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for following along! Hopefully it will be back on the road soon. If I have any issues with the truk after the rebuild, I won't hesitate to trade it in for something else.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Wow, mine sounds very similiar.

Would you mind sharing some more info? Did you get a new engine as well?

Reaction score
Sorry to go on a tangent. What other mods did you do to your truck? Just trying to gauge what i should do to mine while keeping the Ford warranty guys happy...

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck was stock other than Corsa exhaust (catback) and perch collars. Nothing that would void the warranty...

nothing that should void warranty. but i have had a warranty for the rear end declined before because of a hot air intake on my nissan.

i had to argue with them for almost a solid month before they agreed they are not connected...

OP
OP
CatchMeOffroad

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

Ford dealership called me today (after hearing nothing for 10 days) and informed me that my new short block finally arrived. It was on backorder for a couple of weeks.

He said they will start the engine swap today and it should be done by Tuesday.

I'll post another update next time I hear from them.