Reasons to not tune your Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ # 1

Attachments

• D3B5F156-27B0-468D-9A18-46E87DB485AD.jpeg
    D3B5F156-27B0-468D-9A18-46E87DB485AD.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a guy says he's well endowed, has a big ****, etc. to other guys, he's straight up lying and is likely hung like a flea. Having a fast or big truck has nothing to do with **** sizes, and if you think that, you are ****** weird.

Yep...

You know, in the past (not so long ago!) I thought that those who bought big badass trucks, the bigger the better, were compensating for a "short-coming" in some other area. Safe to say that I was NOT a "truck" guy. I was a hotrod enthusiast generally cars and motorcycles.

Well, I can tell you for sure that my perspective has been seriously changed. I bought the Raptor as my FIRST truck because it was/is well known for it's badassedness (new word?). When I actually drove it I realized what a true badassed hotrod it really was, PLUS it was roomy and comfortable. Something you do NOT get in hotrod cars.

So, I bought mine a few weeks ago and already have the nGauge installed and waiting for 5Star and MPT tunes for it. I prefer Cobb Tuning because you can get their tuning software to head out on your own as well, but they're not ready for market. In the interim, I'll play with the others available.

All said, I can respect someone not wanting to tune or otherwise performance modify their own vehicle, but to try and dismiss the (likely) huge majority of Raptor owners who live to modify as relative fools is a real chicken-shit attitude. So, **** OFF! YMMV...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yep...

You know, in the past (not so long ago!) I thought that those who bought big badass trucks, the bigger the better, were compensating for a "short-coming" in some other area. Safe to say that I was NOT a "truck" guy. I was a hotrod enthusiast generally cars and motorcycles.

Well, I can tell you for sure that my perspective has been seriously changed. I bought the Raptor as my FIRST truck because it was/is well known for it's badassedness (new word?). When I actually drove it I realized what a true badassed hotrod it really was, PLUS it was roomy and comfortable. Something you do NOT get in hotrod cars.

So, I bought mine a few weeks ago and already have the nGauge installed and waiting for 5Star and MPT tunes for it. I prefer Cobb Tuning because you can get their tuning software to head out on your own as well, but they're not ready for market. In the interim, I'll play with the others available.

All said, I can respect someone not wanting to tune or otherwise performance modify their own vehicle, but to try and dismiss the (likely) huge majority of Raptor owners who live to modify as relative fools is a real chicken-shit attitude. So, **** OFF! YMMV...

What did you do to tune the Ducatis? The fueling on the 1198 was pi$$ poor. Most of the time on some tracks it’s not an issue but God forbid you have first gear turn or two on the track.

OP
OP
Spartan1

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did I start this thread?

2 questions one should ask him/her self?

1. Would you rather see a cartoon or a tuned car?
2. Would you rather see a peacock or a **** pee?

I see that some in this thread might have different answers to these 2 questions. The ones who concern me are the cartoon watching peacock haters.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you do to tune the Ducatis? The fueling on the 1198 was pi$$ poor. Most of the time on some tracks it’s not an issue but God forbid you have first gear turn or two on the track.

I had the ECUs flashed at Redline Motorsports in Yorktown to allow closed loop tuning under 5k rpm and use a PowerCommander5 for the fuel tuning. Redline did the main tunes on their DynoJet with the 1198SP making 182whp and 105wtq. Using a whole lot of carbon and titanium, I've got the weight down to 400lbs fully fueled, ready to ride. It's mostly a toy and I have it geared a bit lower (14/39) too. Acceleration is insane. Wheelies if you bang 4th gear too hard even in a full tuck under the fairing. It is stupid fast... :rockit:

The 1100SP Hyper (air cooled) gave 95whp with 75wtq. Weight is ~380

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the ECUs flashed at Redline Motorsports in Yorktown to allow closed loop tuning under 5k rpm and use a PowerCommander5 for the fuel tuning. Redline did the main tunes on their DynoJet with the 1198SP making 182whp and 105wtq. Using a whole lot of carbon and titanium, I've got the weight down to 400lbs fully fueled, ready to ride. It's mostly a toy and I have it geared a bit lower (14/39) too. Acceleration is insane. Wheelies if you bang 4th gear too hard even in a full tuck under the fairing. It is stupid fast... :rockit:

The 1100SP Hyper (air cooled) gave 95whp with 75wtq. Weight is ~380

Wow, 182whp...nice. I have a 1098 with 155whp, puts a grin on my face everytime I ride it. Do you race WERA?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, 182whp...nice. I have a 1098 with 155whp, puts a grin on my face everytime I ride it. Do you race WERA?

Did some WERA riding a CB900F Honda at a really small track near College Station Texas back in the day (it isn't even active now), but nothing recent. I've been in Virginia for years and haven't even been to VIR for a track day, so honestly I haven't ridden competitively in decades. The purist Ducatista frown on not riding them on track, but I still strafe my select backroads occasionally. I play with the cars (and now the truck!) more now. I'm eyeing the new Panigale V4 though. It should be at Redline sometime in March!

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some WERA riding a CB900F Honda at a really small track near College Station Texas back in the day (it isn't even active now), but nothing recent. I've been in Virginia for years and haven't even been to VIR for a track day, so honestly I haven't ridden competitively in decades. The purist Ducatista frown on not riding them on track, but I still strafe my select backroads occasionally. I play with the cars (and now the truck!) more now. I'm eyeing the new Panigale V4 though. It should be at Redline sometime in March!

I know I was just watching some videos on the V4, looks interesting. I use to race WERA for about 6 years, retired from racing a few years back. Traveled Northeast US mostly, been to VIR a few times and love the track. Now I am loving the Raptor. Can’t wait to get it dialed in with some mods.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread started poorly and turned out worse.
Maybe I can get it back on track....

Why not tune?
1) I've been an off road guy all my life, starting with motorcycles and of course moving up to cars and trucks...and one constant - off road suspension is king in almost all situations. Live and run in So Cal where there is desert all around me so that is my passion. I'll spend money on Deavers wayyy before some silly cold air package...
2) A little concerned about possible engine warranty issues...

Bottom line - IF the Raptor was slow and underpowered, but had everthing else it does have then maybe worrying about more torque (I'll take torque ove HP) would be important...but it's not...

It's your truck do what you want and I'll still respect you in the morning :)