Rear diff leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A larger volume of fluid (plus the cooling fins) will absolutely dissipate more heat. This isn't up for debate, its thermodynamics.

I agree the fins will help, but simply adding more oil does not...

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Alternatively there is the Mag-Hytec differential cover.

Seen them for other trucks, looks like a very well made product

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shocks me how much value you kids put on fords warranty

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

A larger volume of fluid (plus the cooling fins) will absolutely dissipate more heat. This isn't up for debate, its thermodynamics.

Thanks Pops... Glad I could shock you with something you had never seen.

It's a warranty. A rear diff leaking at 15k miles is something I will take it in for. It's not like a dash creak or some random noise that only happens on Groundhog Day every other year.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had to do my pinion seal... I read somewhere the high torque and power can cause the pinion to deflect under load, damaging the seal. Post pics of the pumpkin and maybe someone can say for sure where the leak is occurring.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin

What did they have to replace?

Mine is wet around the edge where the seal is, by the bolts. I don’t think it’s a pinion seal.

Thanks Pops... Glad I could shock you with something you had never seen.

It's a warranty. A rear diff leaking at 15k miles is something I will take it in for. It's not like a dash creak or some random noise that only happens on Groundhog Day every other year.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alternatively there is the Mag-Hytec differential cover. I installed it four years ago and it's a good product. Adds fluid capacity and makes changing the fluid way, way easier.

Having more gear oil doesn't make it run cooler but with modern synthetic multi-viscosity gear oils, operating temperature isn't an issue.

The sky is blue? what the **** do I know.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the larger capacity aiding in cooling....

I understand both sides of the argument.

It’s true that more fluid takes longer to heat up.

It’s true that the fins are cut into the AFE diff cover to increase surface area and provide enhanced cooling.

So both arguments have validity.

However, the one element to consider is that the larger volume of fluid is held within a cover that has a larger volume. That larger volume, even without the fins, is going to add more surface area for cooling. So by creating a cover with more volume for fluid, it also creates more surface area for cooling. That’s also more surface area for the fluid film interface with the steel which should enhance cooling.

Moral of the story..... the AFE cover should provide better heat dissipation assuming the thermal conductivity of the steel is comparable or better than the competition.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It shocks me how much value you kids put on fords warranty

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

it will dissipate more heat, but is the small increase in fluid volume and the small increase in surface area enough to make a tangible difference?

If I was more worried about strength, I'd do the FP cover, as it is a thicker, more girdle-esque design.

If I was also worried about cooling capability, I'd order me up some AN fittings and lines, buy an RBracing oil rated, continuous duty pump, a finned cooler and wire it up. ( with a differential temp probe/guage. )