Raptor vs 3.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Shows what you know... I was given to understand that engine sound is king in this world.

This guy and his "torque"... :goofy_batman:

:ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

Oh yea. I forgot about that part. Much artillery ruined that for me so I picked the next most important. Sorry for any confusion.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, you know I'm just yanking your chain. Seriously, though, thank you for your service, sir!

Yes I'm fully aware. And btw your anonymous quote isn't anonymous. It's actually a quote by John Wayne. And the actual quote is "life is tough , but it's tougher when your stupid. " John Wayne

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha! Shows what you know... I was given to understand that engine sound is king in this world.

This guy and his "torque"... :goofy_batman:

:ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

I've never heard anyone say sound is king.

I do remember lots of guys claiming the 3.5 was going to make 600 RWHP with just toonz and also claiming that they make more low end torque than V8s (having been snickered by a combination of ignorance and Ford Marketing).

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never heard anyone say sound is king.

I do remember lots of guys claiming the 3.5 was going to make 600 RWHP with just toonz and also claiming that they make more low end torque than V8s (having been snickered by a combination of ignorance and Ford Marketing).

Yes, you are right, 6.2L makes more torque under 2k RPM. But if you are WOT and your RPMs are consistently under 2k, then your need to visit a mechanic ASAP because your automatic transmission is broken.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you are right, 6.2L makes more torque under 2k RPM.

I know I'm right. I knew I was right all along :)

And it will be more torque under 3k RPM once bigger turbos are added. And bigger turbos are required for the little 3.5 to get closer to the big boy power levels the 6.2 and 5.0 are capable of. The 5.0 is making over 800 horse with just a Whipple.

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm right. I knew I was right all along :)

And it will be more torque under 3k RPM once bigger turbos are added. And bigger turbos are required for the little 3.5 to get closer to the big boy power levels the 6.2 and 5.0 are capable of. The 5.0 is making over 800 horse with just a Whipple.

The 6.2 and 5.0 weren't dumping precious air off through weep holes. That being the major difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article that came out today...
Ford F-150 is the 2018 Motor Trend Truck of the Year - Motor Trend

It shows the 5L with better overall performance according to them. I was surprised at what I was reading and seeing in their data. The 5L pulls on the 3.5 Ecoboost with a VERY strong top-end.

From a scientific perspective that article is poorly written. They ran 1/4 mile times with a 9,000 pound trailer on the 5.0 and a 4,000 pound trailer on the Raptor. I bet that is a typo. If it is a typo the Raptor pulled the load faster and better, they acknowledge that.

I do agree the 5.0 will be more durable, especially under the duress of towing. The reality is the 5.0 isn't a match for the larger displacing GM options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
The 0-70+ and 1/4 mike times/trap speeds where the most interesting... both done without trailer.