Possible Backfire...weird pop noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far every fill up I get this. Does it 2 to 3 times after fill up then isn’t noticed after that. I’ve only had it twice as I’ve only filled up twice but both times in sport mode at slow speed. Sure it happening at the downshift when in sport. That way all the “Starbucks” Folks can call the EPA noise police on you for interrupting their peaceful pumpkin spice latte.

ranger22

Reaction score
I hear the pop at fillup. I'm guessing it has more to do with the stupid capless nozzle and venting caught air. Once the pressure is stabilized it stops popping. Is there a way to go back to a standard cap? Call me old school

Kbarakeh

Reaction score
i noticed the backfiring only when i fill up with a different octane fuel. i went from 91 to 89 and it backfired like crazy when i starting driving for about 15 min. that's the only time it did it.

TheProcessoperator

Reaction score
I had the same issue (similar to backfire and pre-detonating on higher rams) after installing the Whipple kit. The instructions said to gap the spark plugs at .025 I believe (don’t quote me on the exact number) but long story short, the cheap walmart gapping tool was off. I bought feeler gauges and rechecked the gaps and the were like .020. So the gap was too close. It was easily seen on the color of the plugs. Stock plugs were light tan in color and the incorrectly gapped plugs were black. Maybe pull one of your spark plugs and see what the color looks like.

aschiller98

Reaction score
If I drive the truck in baja mode (switched to 2wd on pavement of course) there is a consistent pop when rolling off throttle back onto the throttle, sounds similar to a backfire. I would imagine this would have to do with fords use of an "antilag" like system to keep the turbos spooled off throttle.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I drive the truck in baja mode (switched to 2wd on pavement of course) there is a consistent pop when rolling off throttle back onto the throttle, sounds similar to a backfire. I would imagine this would have to do with fords use of an "antilag" like system to keep the turbos spooled off throttle.

That is correct. But others have a noise not in Baja mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aschiller98

Reaction score
Right, I should have added that i have heard the very similar noise when not in baja mode. I figured it had to do with the turbos still creating boost when off power.

That is correct. But others have a noise not in Baja mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk