Possible Backfire...weird pop noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CCole77

Reaction score
From time to time when coming to a stop or to make a turn my truck sounds like it has a slight backfire or pop coming from the rear of the truck. Does not do it all the time and is hard to replicate, but have heard it a couple of times now. I have the SPD turbo adapters installed and just put in the Airaid drop in filter. Don’t remember hearing the sound prior to the filter install. I have put the stock filter back in to see if that rectifies the issue. No codes or CEL is coming on. No other engine, exhaust, or performance mods have been done.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could the combination of the adapters and filter cause this issue?

Is anyone else running the same set up with just a drop in filter and adapters.

Glamisfan

Reaction score
I’ve had a car with a slight exhaust leak backfire when letting off the throttle. I believe Air would come in at the leak and mix with unburnt fuel causing the backfire.

So it could be a leak at the SPD adapters?

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This has been documented in other threads on FRF; most report it incident to filling up the fuel tank.

OP
OP
C

CCole77

Reaction score
This has been documented in other threads on FRF; most report it incident to filling up the fuel tank.

I apologize for bringing up something that was already discussed, but I did not see those threads. My issue has nothing to do with filling up the fuel tank that I am aware of, as I was at less than a 1/4 of a tank and had not filled up recently. It sounds like a "lean sneeze" or back fire. I hate to ask, but do you remember what the other thread titles were that discussed this issue?

18LeadfootNNJ

Reaction score

I can confirm this! Thought i was going crazy!

Right after a fill-up (POP........POP) im guessing its the fuel sloshing around the tank?

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did it today right after filling up... couple times it backfired.

I chalk it up as a Ford, and as long as it starts up and runs i feel fortunate. I just have to accept the fact it’s an American made vehicle and assembled by some factory workers in the rust and bible belts.