GEN 2 Plastic parts inside the intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These have been on all ecoboost f150s from beginning. Most owners remove them as they don't serve a purpose. You will get slightly louder turbo sound.

Why would ford engineer this little contraption and stick it in a place that nobody will ever see if it doesn't serve a purpose?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would ford engineer this little contraption and stick it in a place that nobody will ever see if it doesn't serve a purpose?

Ford doesnt do everything for the good of the customer.

Some things are done to pass standards, somethings are done to appease the majority of customers.

Fuel mileage, NVH, etc are all things they have to consider.

PMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of those explanations are valid reasons to have this. In other words - purposes for it to exist.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
exactly. The exhaust isn’t the only source of noise, the intake and engine itself generate a fair amount of noise and it all adds up. Lots of vehicles have noise attenuation within the intake tract.

I’ve done mods on stock intakes along these lines before, on multiple other vehicles and the worst result was +2hp at the wheels; it never lost power on the dyno. One person who did the same mod as me - I want to say it was on my Lightning, but this is a decade or more ago, claims their tip in a/f ratio cratered as a result, but I had nothing similar on my dyno sheet. I got almost 10hp at the wheel on my 97 Cobra from just an open air intake and filter.
queue the internet fora nattering nabobs of negativism who cried that it was all filter
- except I ran more dyno pulls with a panel filter and back to stock, then on to the new cone filter. panel filter in the stock box was +1hp. I got another 9 hp from a ported stock MAS, repeatable and was producing more than the Pro-M on my car and another, for several hundred dollars less.

I’m not saying those results translate to this truck, just sharing some free, internet sourced experience, which I assure you is worth every penny you’re paying to read it.

based on the shape of these gizmos, I’d bet they do nothing but decrease CFM.

Will removing them help? probably. Will it be quantifiable as a gain? I don’t know. Are these the choke point of the intake? Is it the filter?
If you replace the filter, dyno, get nothing, then pull these, dyno again with the new higher flow filter and gain something, does that mean you made an improvement? maybe, if the results are repeatable.

Good post about the gizmos. now, who will dyno this mod?:flipthebird:

MadRaptor65

Reaction score
Haha thats like the "as seen on tv" ****** tornado fuel saver.
https://youtu.be/7GUsAJpXrYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Correct! This what the Tech found when testing a developing CAI for my 2017 Raptor. They put straight pipes/tubing and gained 4hp on Dino. This is a fact so, mine will be removed with new CAI being installed. I am still waiting for Design from Ford Performace. Maybe that is why it is taking longer. Because they are not just designing from the Y to Intake Box. They may be designing the down tubes as well....I hope! I do really like the High-performance IC with twin Fans!

Kevin O

Reaction score
Hala @Ahmad6557

Mainly these parts are there to reduce noise
@CoronaRaptor some people claim the turbulent to laminar flow effect but from an engineering point of view they are too short and too early in the flow stream of the air to actually reduce the turbulent flow

The increase in flow is minimal, you wouldn't feel it at this power level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had removed mine when adding the AFE Momentum Gt... sounds is much better