Personally, I can always have more POWER!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Those were the days huh :) I remember a Mustang GT pulling up at light along side me and he was revving it up and giving me THAT look. I was heading to play golf and had 2 buddy's in the car and the GT rips away from the light and I said OK bud and I blew by him and I'll never forget the look on his face as I passed him. It was that I've got a mouthful shit look :) He rolled the window at the next light and he said DUDE that thing hauls and I said I just gave you a head start and blew by you with 2 guys in the car and 3 sets of golf clubs in the trunk and I had the A/C crankin too :)

Ah the Mustang GT. Particularly the ’87-‘89s. The inexpensive “cool looking Fairmont with a V8” :) ( I had a 1990 and 97 SVT myself ). These could do a legit high 13 1/4 mile at MIR, and with gears and maybe a couple hundred bucks, low 13’s. The LX ran about 1/10 quicker.

in the late 90’s, I had a Kaw. ZX11, with over 155 horsepower at the wheel. I commuted regularly on this and one late morning I roll up next to a 5.0 notch back with a very large TV in the trunk. A guy is driving with a female passenger. I am sitting at the light doing nothing but looking straight ahead when the 5.0 driver starts revving his engine, and nosing the car forward. I politely wave off / decline. I believe he misinterpreted my intentions because when the light went green, I went for first gear and this guy just launched off the line. Him, female passenger and 5.0 immediately move out, but sadly the TV does not and tumbles out on to 210 shattering into many, many pieces as I’m just taking off.

yup, he got the holeshot on me.

I really liked the 5.0 Mustangs, but I have to admit it put a lot of potential performance into hands that weren’t quite ready for it.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys know how much more power a few psi bump in boost gets you! Cant wait to see what a tune does!

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I desperately want to hate you.

I was 16 in 1985 and a local Buick sales guy rolled up in an 86 m.y. Grand National. I wanted that car. Badly. However, on a 16 year old’s salary it was not going to happen. Then, I think it was ’89 when they released the GNX

I never ended up buying one, and I do sort of regret it. I did, however test drive the T Type Regal. I’d already built up a 455 Olds, and I remember stepping on the T type throttle, and experiencing turbo lag for the first time, for the all-too-brief quarter second or so and then both rear tires broke loose in a huge smokey burn out.

You Grand Nat. owners are killing me here...

Lol 16 in 85! I was 3 [emoji23][emoji1348]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Lol 16 in 85! I was 3 [emoji23][emoji1348]

Fortunately, you’ve chosen to be among friends here on FRF. We promise not to hold your youth and inexperience against you.

I was joking to a nephew in college - Sam, I have a Van Halen concert tee shirt that is older than you.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys know how much more power a few psi bump in boost gets you! Cant wait to see what a tune does!

I went with a larger ceramic turbo, power commander, 3" Borla exhaust and a complete Fairbanks tranny and a few other small mods which are escaping me at the moment on my 87 Grand National but I do remember that it ran 11.90s with slicks. I was very happy with the performance on the GN because I had a 69 Camaro with an Allston chassis, tubbed and a 700hp .060 over 454 that ran in the low 10s and I had a TON of money into that car.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with a larger ceramic turbo, power commander, 3" Borla exhaust and a complete Fairbanks tranny and a few other small mods which are escaping me at the moment on my 87 Grand National but I do remember that it ran 11.90s with slicks. I was very happy with the performance on the GN because I had a 69 Camaro with an Allston chassis, tubbed and a 700hp .060 over 454 that ran in the low 10s and I had a TON of money into that car.

Nice, im into more modern stuff!!

I had a Subaru STI, put in a billet wheel Garrett GTX 3076r with **** injection! 11.6 @121 was my best, though it was mostly a road racer. 1.6x 60' on street tires!!!! gotta love AWD.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Nice, im into more modern stuff!!

I had a Subaru STI, put in a billet wheel Garrett GTX 3076r with **** injection! 11.6 @121 was my best, though it was mostly a road racer. 1.6x 60' on street tires!!!! gotta love AWD.

Hands down the most fun car I've ever owned. Thing was a BEAST. It was a money pit though I couldn't leave mine alone. Had about 20k under the hood after 5 years [emoji849]. I have to build another after the raptor price sting goes away.

Charles S

Reaction score
While I was in the military I restored a 1970 442. I loved that car and it was a beast. I was cruising on Hwy 41 in Ft. Myers one night in the early 90's when a Eagle talon pulled up beside me at a light. The driver holds out a fifty dollar bill and I agree thinking that it was easy money. The light turned green and by the time I hooked up that Talon had three lengths on me and it just went downhill from there. I couldn't believe it. I rolled into the 7-11 to square up with him and looked at his car and all he had done to it was to put a larger turbo on it. That's when it struck me that forced induction was taking over the scene. While the Talon had nowhere the charactor or "mojo" my Olds had it sure kicked it's ass in performance. It was a humbling but eye opening night for me.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
My 2nd car was a ’70 442. It wasn’t the smartest first car, but it was fun. I sunk a lot of money into it and eventually ran out of money I could spend on it. I had to sell it as a project to someone in a better financial position to work on it. The GM A body wasn’t a bad platform, a little portly compared to the Mustang/Cougar & Firebird/Camaro, but plenty capable. However, any regular type tires, especially the “tires of the day” were grossly overtaxed with the 455.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I was in the military I restored a 1970 442. I loved that car and it was a beast. I was cruising on Hwy 41 in Ft. Myers one night in the early 90's when a Eagle talon pulled up beside me at a light. The driver holds out a fifty dollar bill and I agree thinking that it was easy money. The light turned green and by the time I hooked up that Talon had three lengths on me and it just went downhill from there. I couldn't believe it. I rolled into the 7-11 to square up with him and looked at his car and all he had done to it was to put a larger turbo on it. That's when it struck me that forced induction was taking over the scene. While the Talon had nowhere the charactor or "mojo" my Olds had it sure kicked it's ass in performance. It was a humbling but eye opening night for me.

Like Bob said, the times, they are a changin!