Pedal Commander Install - Doesn't Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
Hello Fellas,

Purchased the Pedal Commander back in December. Just got my truck last week and now have 1600 miles or so.

Tried to install PC Tuesday. As most have reported, getting the OEM plug off was a chore. Scary really....because it's a plastic part. Finally got it off without breaking it.

What I observed: OEM plug does not plug back in nearly as "stiffly" as before.

My Issue: Plugged PC into pedal assembly. Plug did not seem to fit very well. Plugged OEM plug into PC female plug. Fit is not good. There is little to no friction. No audible clicking indicating that the plug is in.

Turned on truck. First time, I got several error codes on dash, no lights on PC and no pedal.

Unplugged everything and started over. Next time, no error codes and did have pedal, lights flashed in sequence on PC controller and then blank. Pushed "+" and "-" buttons and no lights.

Unplugged everything and went back to stock for now....at least I can still drive my truck.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have a dud from PC?

I emailed PC Tuesday afternoon and still haven't had a reply.

CIB2007

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just pulled my off two days ago. I was driving normal and all of a sudden the wrench light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I figured it had something to do with the pedal since I could maintain speed but as soon as I slowed down and attempted to accelerate it wouldnt. I pulled over and disconnected the PC. Problem solved, but still had the wrench. Well $650.00 later I have a new throttle body and pedal travel sensor. Thanks Pedal Commander!!!!

I would pull it off the truck and sell it and would see what codes it threw. Some how when it screwed the pedal travel sensor it threw a throttle body fault code.

Also I have a 2014.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hello Fellas,

Purchased the Pedal Commander back in December. Just got my truck last week and now have 1600 miles or so.

Tried to install PC Tuesday. As most have reported, getting the OEM plug off was a chore. Scary really....because it's a plastic part. Finally got it off without breaking it.

What I observed: OEM plug does not plug back in nearly as "stiffly" as before.

My Issue: Plugged PC into pedal assembly. Plug did not seem to fit very well. Plugged OEM plug into PC female plug. Fit is not good. There is little to no friction. No audible clicking indicating that the plug is in.

Turned on truck. First time, I got several error codes on dash, no lights on PC and no pedal.

Unplugged everything and started over. Next time, no error codes and did have pedal, lights flashed in sequence on PC controller and then blank. Pushed "+" and "-" buttons and no lights.

Unplugged everything and went back to stock for now....at least I can still drive my truck.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have a dud from PC?

I emailed PC Tuesday afternoon and still haven't had a reply.

really basic questions here.

did you follow the instructions?
Specifically about isolating -all- of the keys? if you have the ginormous 802a key fob, those things are reachable from pretty far a way. I stowed all mine in my motorcycle helmet - which is completely lined with tin foil so nobody can read my thoughts ( :-O ) and took them off to a remote location.

Then promptly set off the alarm and by the time I got to the keys, the truck had decided she’d made her point.

That’s what the error codes sound like.
I put all my keys out of range.

you’re indicating some connectivity issues, I would take a hard look at the connectors, maybe snap some pics. Just in case.

It sounds like you may have a bum connector, but tough to say without pics.

OP
OP
D

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
really basic questions here.

did you follow the instructions?
Specifically about isolating -all- of the keys? if you have the ginormous 802a key fob, those things are reachable from pretty far a way. I stowed all mine in my motorcycle helmet - which is completely lined with tin foil so nobody can read my thoughts ( :-O ) and took them off to a remote location.

Then promptly set off the alarm and by the time I got to the keys, the truck had decided she’d made her point.

That’s what the error codes sound like.
I put all my keys out of range.

you’re indicating some connectivity issues, I would take a hard look at the connectors, maybe snap some pics. Just in case.

It sounds like you may have a bum connector, but tough to say without pics.

Hmm....Yes, thought I was following instructions...but guess I wasn't, because I paid no attention to the key fob that was laying on my center console.

So, your saying that the key fob has to be far away for this to go right?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to read the instructions again and maybe I'll give it another go.

marsh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have damaged the plug if you had to force it off. Once you get the right sequence it should come right off.

CLIP_zpspwgyhh3j.jpg

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
you realize that you have to hit the yellow button to turn the PC on, right?

the + and - will do nothing until you actually turn the PC on by pressing the yellow button.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny true story. The other day I get an error message on the dash. I don't think it was actually throwing a code if a remember correctly. The message was something like "Key, battery needs replacement". Of course I am thinking damn the truck is just over a year old. How can I need a new battery. Then I'm thinking crap do I need to re-wire all of those damn lights that I put on this beast. So I of course hook up the charger and it's about 50% charged. I then say to myself what the hell and charge it all the way and start the truck. Just my luck that it still says "Key, battery needs replacement". I say to myself well it's a key finding, maybe I really do need to replace the battery for some reason. Finally it dawns on me that it's the KEY FOB battery that needs to be replaced. Out smarted by a truck.

When I installed the pedal commander I had to bring my key fob down into my basement and enclose it in a metal box to get the installation correct.

OP
OP
D

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
you realize that you have to hit the yellow button to turn the PC on, right?

the + and - will do nothing until you actually turn the PC on by pressing the yellow button.

Well F%*@ me......no....I stared at that friggin thing for at least 30 seconds and it never dawned on me it had to turned "ON". Good lord, I'm getting too old for this shit!

I'm going to give it one more go tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
Well.....after install issues because of my key fob and then again because I didn't realize there was a friggin "On" button on the PC.....I am pleased to announce that the PC is now installed and working.

I was getting ready to ship it back.....but, glad I didn't. Put it on +2 and holy smokes.....what a difference.

I know it doesn't add HP, but good lord, it sure feels like it. Pedal is very responsive now.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Now, if I could just get my OBDLink and Forscan to get along...............