GEN 2 PCM tune process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully I dont get killed for posting this by the guys that like to bash people for asking questions. Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find this exact question in my search. I have seen some references to it in other posts though.

I have tuned several of my past vehicles, including my 2014 Raptor. The new 3.5 HO EB is a new engine and the PCM will have a strategy that other F150s do not. What is the process and what is required before a tune can be written for the Gen 2? I think we are waiting on Ford to decrypt the PCM (I read that somewhere and wasn't aware Ford encrypted their PCM's like Dodge does), is that true? Can someone with actual experience in this area explain to us all how the process works for a new vehicle from Ford?

What is required before all of our favorite tuning companies can begin development and adjusting the OEM strategy? What are those prerequisites and how is Ford involved post vehicle release? What are those timelines before Ford fulfills those prerequisites normally? I have seen reference on here to the Mustang Ecoboost and how long it was out before people were able to tune it. Curious what is actually required before someone like "5 Star Tuning" can actually begin testing more aggressive tunes.

Also, what exactly is the difference between Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota etc when it comes to PCM and tuning? Why do some of these makers require a PCM swap while other OEM PCM can be tuned as is? I assume thats because the Dodge and Toyota PCM is locked down and nobody gets access and nobody can hack it. Is Ford's PCM open? If Fords is open why dont we have access now?

Sorry for the questions. Try not to beat the shit out of me for asking. I know several on this forum wonder the exact same things and few actually understand how all of this works. Many claim to know, but they are like me and only understand bits and pieces.

Note - Im not asking how does tuning work. I get it, I understand spark and timing and the other variables and tables being adjusted to make more power. That is not my question here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hennessey has one listed. Not yet available.

Obviously its not yet available, hence my post, asking about prerequisites in order for a tune to become available.

Also, how in the hell did HPE turn out a tune in week one of the trucks arrival? I assume he didnt and your money would be tied up with him waiting.

Looking forward to someone with insight on this process responding.

This thread isnt getting near the traction it should. Instead we respond to meaningless threads all day about waiving at each other and such.

:)

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget the engine ecu, that might be the easy part. The tranny is completely new... they need to figure out how to tune that to work with a retuned ecu.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can imagine the 6 terrain modes and 10-spd transmission will give a LOT more headaches than the engine management to be honest...

BAJA LUDICROUS MODE NOW!

spaceballs.jpg