PCM/TCM Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my 2018 into the dealership today for delayed/harsh shifting, but the technician stated he couldn't find an update available. I remember seeing a post before where someone was saying the technician had to manually search for it, but I can't find that post again. They had outlined the specific instructions they gave the technician to search for the PCM/TCM update. Thanks!

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service advisor couldn't find anything. They had to hook up the truck to the diagnostic machine to find the update.

Calabro

Reaction score
The service advisor couldn't find anything. They had to hook up the truck to the diagnostic machine to find the update.

Would love to know the status on this I own an 18 & it’s first time I’m hearing of it thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Obscure

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They hooked the truck up to the IDS machine and the tech said it would have notified him if any updates were available, but I could have sworn I read a post where someone was saying that wasn't the case. They were saying the tech had to manually search for the TCM/PCM update and then was able to find it and update his truck.

My truck was built on Dec 5 and based on what Whipple had said we both find it very unlikely there hasn't been a PCM/TCM update that has come out in the past 5 months. I was under the impression before they were coming out almost monthly.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
They hooked the truck up to the IDS machine and the tech said it would have notified him if any updates were available, but I could have sworn I read a post where someone was saying that wasn't the case. They were saying the tech had to manually search for the TCM/PCM update and then was able to find it and update his truck.

My truck was built on Dec 5 and based on what Whipple had said we both find it very unlikely there hasn't been a PCM/TCM update that has come out in the past 5 months. I was under the impression before they were coming out almost monthly.

You have a Whipple tune and went to the dealer for harsh shifting? Am I missing something here?

OP
OP
Obscure

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a Whipple tune and went to the dealer for harsh shifting? Am I missing something here?

Ya, I put the stock tune file back on before taking it in. Whipple doesn't do anything with shift logic and I wanted to make sure there were no questions what was causing the issue. There are others with 2018s that are having the same issue with harsh/delayed shifting and there is supposedly a TSB out for it, but the only one I've seen so far is for 2017s built prior to August 2017.

OP
OP
Obscure

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you still getting that 3-4-5 issue now that you are back on the stock tune?

Yes, especially in sport mode. Normal mode I can still feel it but it feels like a slushbox so it kinda masks it.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think they could download the current PCM/TCM again? Seems like it couldn't hurt to try update it, even if you are on the current update. Maybe there was a glitch when it was uploaded in the first place?

OP
OP
Obscure

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the dealer has no idea what they are doing. I don't believe I am on the latest update. I am going to talk to another dealer here locally and see if I get a better feeling about their technicians.