Oil separators / catch can brands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting either the JLT or the UPR. I'd appreciate impressions of how those brands perform as well as opinions on how essential it is to install an oil separator.

Thanks in advance y'all.

I got the UPR catch can on the forum group buy a while back through Juggernaut. I have been real happy with it. The design looks as if it may have changed a bit since I picked mine up but overall it looks pretty close to the same.

I made a mount for mine but now it looks like it comes with one.

I would side with the UPR but I don't think you could go wrong with either. In the end, I am running a naturally aspirated engine so the benefit might not be as great, but I was surprised about how much grimy oil I captured in the catch can; It has to be good thing that it doesn't get sucked back into the engine.

One thing I would note about my experience with the UPR one is that the lid on the catch cant sometimes is hard to get off and I have to remove it from the mount to get the thing disassembled. I think it has to do with it being aluminum and having such fine threads on the lid that make it seize a little sometimes.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I preferred the Moroso brand for it’s mounting feature.
R,
HAP

slaughter

Reaction score
Full-Race has one know too that looks like a very good quality from the pics. Any more info on this brand would be helpful. Install ease! And if there has to be any cutting of any factory parts for fitment like the other brands.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Full-Race has one know too that looks like a very good quality from the pics. Any more info on this brand would be helpful. Install ease! And if there has to be any cutting of any factory parts for fitment like the other brands.

the full race stuff is built to order.

I ordered mine about 4 weeks ago. Tracking number says it will be here tuesday. I'll end up installing it next weekend and will share my experience.

Last edited:

Apache

Reaction score
the full race stuff is built to order.

I ordered mine about 4 weeks ago. Tracking number says it will be here tuesday. I'll end up installing it next weekend and will share my experience.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this product. *thumbs up*

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Interested to hear your thoughts on this product. *thumbs up*

Well, I have an 18. The driver side breather hose design is very different from what is listed in full race's instructions. The breather hose on my truck has an in line sensor and doesnt route back to the head. It routes to the cold side piping just before the turbo.

So, I sent fullrace an email.( they are closed on weekends).

I guess we'll see what they say on monday.

Sad thing is, i tossed all of the packing peanuts, so sending it back is going to be a pain in the balls.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Well, I have an 18. The driver side breather hose design is very different from what is listed in full race's instructions. The breather hose on my truck has an in-line sensor and doesn't route back to the head. It routes to the cold side piping just before the turbo.

So, I sent full-race an email.( they are closed on weekends).

I guess we'll see what they say on Monday.

Sad thing is, I tossed all of the packing peanuts, so sending it back is going to be a pain in the balls.

Called full race when they first opened this morning. Didn't hear from them all day.

Called back again just now. Still no one from their tech group that could talk to me.

The block off "cap" that they sent flew off after a mile. super erratic idle came next, CEL, wrench light, whole 9 yards of ugliness.

I ended up siliconing a bolt into a leftover hose end to create a legitimate block off.

I also epoxied an additional hose barb onto the inline sensor.

I think I have it sorted, but I still need to clear the CEL to see if it comes back.

The instructions from full race stink. As does the accessibility of their tech bros. The kit is nice quality, but it is super obvious that they just really hadn't been validated for 2018s. They also havent updated their instructions.

It's a shame because I was going to buy an intercooler from them granted this separator kit worked properly.

I'm hard-pressed to drop another 1500 bucks when I can't even get a return email in 72 hours and also cant get so much as a return phone call.

It doesn't matter how great your gear is. If your customer service sucks, well, you just suck.

mikepipe597

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called full race when they first opened this morning. Didn't hear from them all day.

Called back again just now. Still no one from their tech group that could talk to me.

The block off "cap" that they sent flew off after a mile. super erratic idle came next, CEL, wrench light, whole 9 yards of ugliness.

I ended up siliconing a bolt into a leftover hose end to create a legitimate block off.

I also epoxied an additional hose barb onto the inline sensor.

I think I have it sorted, but I still need to clear the CEL to see if it comes back.

The instructions from full race stink. As does the accessibility of their tech bros. The kit is nice quality, but it is super obvious that they just really hadn't been validated for 2018s. They also havent updated their instructions.

It's a shame because I was going to buy an intercooler from them granted this separator kit worked properly.

I'm hard-pressed to drop another 1500 bucks when I can't even get a return email in 72 hours and also cant get so much as a return phone call.

It doesn't matter how great your gear is. If your customer service sucks, well, you just suck.

I ordered mine two weeks ago. Waiting for you to post more info