Oil change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Ok,, I am one to follow Ford computer recommendations for oil changes, first oil change 9K miles, 2nd (done yesterday) 5500K. No difference in driving, conditions etc. Of course dealer has NO clue....

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,, I am one to follow Ford computer recommendations for oil changes, first oil change 9K miles, 2nd (done yesterday) 5500K. No difference in driving, conditions etc. Of course dealer has NO clue....

So the first time your computer oil percentage ran out at 9K and then the next time 5500? That’s pretty interesting

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When does the oil life monitor let you know when its time to change?. I changed mine at 5,000 it was a free one. I'm at 10,500 now and the % states 19% life left. Does this truck alert us, my last f150 did. Thanks.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blog.amsoil.com/oil-life-monitors-everything-you-need-to-know/

heres a brief excerpt:

"Oil life monitors can track climate, driving habits and other conditions. They use an algorithm that calculates mileage, idle time, engine temperatures, trip times, engine loads, and ignition starts and stops. The algorithm then establishes an oil change interval as low as 3,000 miles and all the way up to 12,000 miles, depending on severity of conditions. Typically, they establish intervals in the 5,000-7,000 mile range"

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my about every 5k, but when I do I usually have about 45% life left according to the computer.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's early. Im debating on using full synthetic, like aftermarket stuff. Have never used any performance aftermarket stuff before.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess my response went right over everyones head. oil life monitors use an algorithm to determine estimated oil left left.

also changing your oil at 5k is pretty useless. My race cars go a year before changing the oil.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait! Did you just say that you have race cars where you did not change your oil for over a year? Your comment only makes sense if you parked your race cars and never used them.

i guess my response went right over everyones head. oil life monitors use an algorithm to determine estimated oil left left.

also changing your oil at 5k is pretty useless. My race cars go a year before changing the oil.