no threads about FMIC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I don't see one here, unless that's it tucked behind the bumper.

6a00d83451b3c669e201a73daaaa35970d-800wi.jpg

I was under the impression the the IC is shown there, right behind the valance with the black plastic top.

If there's not one already, i'm assuming CXracing or other cheap substitute would eventually make a kit for the 3.5EB F150. Or someone makes brackets/adapters etc to retrofit a common universal IC. The current aftermarket EB IC's do look a bit more complex, oe fittings, separate **** for the BOVs on some. Really haven't looked into this too much though... Universal would do well for the street trucks, though build on cheapo ones may not survive abuse. $150 vs $1500, so im sure someone will be our guinea pig

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression the the IC is shown there, right behind the valance with the black plastic top.

If there's not one already, i'm assuming CXracing or other cheap substitute would eventually make a kit for the 3.5EB F150. Or someone makes brackets/adapters etc to retrofit a common universal IC. The current aftermarket EB IC's do look a bit more complex, oe fittings, separate **** for the BOVs on some. Really haven't looked into this too much though... Universal would do well for the street trucks, though build on cheapo ones may not survive abuse. $150 vs $1500, so im sure someone will be our guinea pig

It is. 1st Gen EB had the intercooler behind the bumper. That's why the front license plate was offset so it didn't restrict airflow.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In this video they mention that the intercooler is behind the front bumper and equipped with a fan for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XVQ6-dCtI

at 4:52 is when he discusses the intercooler and fan.

yeah I've seen a few shots now where the IC is behind the bumper, could be an opportunity for someone to develop either a new design or add some channeling to get more air directed to the FMIC

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Full Race intercooler mounts behind the upper grill. On 2011-14 Eco's you could mount a winch behind the bumper.

Attachments

• 0000-600x400.jpg
    0000-600x400.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 119
  • ford-f-150-ecoboost-front-mount-intercooler-kit-1-3-1-150x100.jpg
    ford-f-150-ecoboost-front-mount-intercooler-kit-1-3-1-150x100.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 363

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks prime to be destroyed by bugs, rocks and other road debris.

No more so than your A/C condensor and tranny cooler would if the intercooler wasn't relocated in front of it.
I run a home made $4 bug screen over my A/C condensor, tranny cooler and intercooler.

Attachments

• SAM_0333.jpg
    SAM_0333.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 97

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score

I had a full race intercooler on my sti sitting 3 inches off the ground with no cover at all. Lasted 6 years with minimal damage before I sold the car. One of the best intercoolers I've ever owned will probably look into it for the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juice

Reaction score

I'm guessing your new to turbos. You want as much airflow through the IC as possible.

The heat soak on the units behind the bumper will be quite bad, cake up some mud on the bumper and under the truck and it will be worse. I also like that a middle front end bump wouldn't affect the IC (Intercooler) in turbo terms.