New Roush tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that when the reputable tuners get their stuff together on these a normal tune gain will be in the 60 to 70 hp range and 80 to 110 lb/ft gain levels. 5star looks to already be in this area along with others. That's what the gen I eco platforms are seeing already and then some. With the GEN II port and direct injection and better turbos I wouldn't be surprised and basically expect those numbers to be considerably higher with time and testing.

The GEN I's are considered to handle 500+ hp before any dependability issues come into play. These numbers are with the stock turbos. Heck my SHO is in the 440 hp range at the crank and I'm not pushing it and that's without ****. There are a couple of SHO's pushing 600 hp with bigger turbos and **** and the weak link is the transmission. Also whats impressive is this thing will knock down 30 mpg on the hwy (keeping below 80).

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Wait.... What? That is impossible.

i think he means the SHO.

I still call bull. I had an explorer sport with the same motor as the SHO. I get that it is heavier and less aerodynamic, but there is no way the weight delta and aero differences equate to 10MPG.

It's a happy dance day if ive got the cruise at 75 and i get 20 mpg in the raptor.

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think he means the SHO.

I still call bull. I had an explorer sport with the same motor as the SHO. I get that it is heavier and less aerodynamic, but there is no way the weight delta and aero differences equate to 10MPG.

It's a happy dance day if ive got the cruise at 75 and i get 20 mpg in the raptor.

Call bull all you want. I currently own both a 13 sho and 13 explorer sport (wife’s). 30 is achievable in a non PP car, different gear ratios 3.17 vs 2.73. I drove to visit our daughter at NC Sate which is 250+ miles and after returning home the over avg was over 28 mpg. I wouldnt call bs on what you clearly don’t know. Don’t know what a non PP car is, google it. Btw the best the sport will get is about 24 mpg hwy. hell the sho will get 23 mpg mixed and still knock down 12.4 in the quarter and 7.90’s in the 1/8 mile.

Last edited:

theOracle13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does this tune get installed? Is it just emailed to you? Or do you gotta take the truck to a Roush dealer?

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three ways to install a tune:

Custom dyno tune- tuner is hooked directly to your truck and performs a custom tune on the vehicle while running on a dyno. (best but most expensive)

Updated PCM- This is where you send your pcm to the tuner and they will update it with their tune and send the pcm back to you for install.

Remote tuning- Once a remote tuner is purchased the tuner will email you a tune and you will upload it to the tuner and install via OBII port. (5mins or less to install)

Custom tuning is best as this tune will take into effect the small differences of your particular vehicle, this is also the most expensive option. Some tuners will remote data log which means they will send you a base tune and you will run your vehicle making full throttle runs while data logging and send that info back via email to the tuner. They will make adjustments to the tune and send it back. This can take multiple revisions to get it just right but is the next best thing to dyno tuning.

Not sure but I think you have to send the PCM to roush to get the update.

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In their 'Level 1 Performance Pac' they give you a single use download code for the ECU flash.

The Roush tune can be installed at ANY authorized Roush dealer -- OR -- you can DIY if you have the appropriate 'J2534 standard' install cable. I believe they can be had on eBay or Amazon, etc.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Roush tune. Seems to me Ford dealers might be more used to dealing with Roush tuned vehicles and less likely to try to deny warranty claims.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Roush tune. Seems to me Ford dealers might be more used to dealing with Roush tuned vehicles and less likely to try to deny warranty claims.

Roush vehicles are covered under a Roush warranty not a Ford warranty. Ford will still bust your chops for a Roush tune. The Ford Performance tune will be the only tune that won't create a potential issue.