MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently received the V3 of the 91 from MPT. Has the more aggressive throttle response, which I like. Still don't love the trans tuning. Almost like stock better. We'll see how it adapts.

I think the issue I run into with the trans tuning, is that they bumped the shift points up so high, that in the right conditions, the trans will drop down too far and grab a gear that's within 500rpm of redline, where there's no power. It'll hang there for a sec, feel flat to the driver, and then shift to the next gear.

As for ACC on my 17... I use it on my 150 mile drives two and from work, over 2 11k foot mountain passes, with no issue.

Gregger,

This was literally the main post that turned me off lol...so it's ironic you had said to still go for it. I completely empathize with what you said above...and I remember for my 14 Raptor going through several tunes b/c the first set of tunes shiffted WAY too harsh for normal around town driving...Just made no sense...and that's for a NA 6 Speed...Never mind a Boosted 10 Speed...so when you were talking about the Trans Tuning that really resonated with me as a concern...that and all the Throttle Tip In BS others have complained about.

I really wish someone near MA had one of these Tunes so I could meet up and "Test Drive"

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Has anyone ran their trucks at the strip to get some 1/4 mile times? Just curious what these trucks do with the MPT tune vs stock.

I have literally asked this question on FB and Here I don't know how many times...As I really don't care about "Dyno Numbers" b/c there are soooo many things that affect those read outs...

1/10th at the Track = 10 HP as a general rule...so if say an MPT Tuned SCREW is running 13.4 at the Track with NOTHING else done...I would hole heartedly belive the 80 HP claims all day long.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gregger,

This was literally the main post that turned me off lol...so it's ironic you had said to still go for it. I completely empathize with what you said above...and I remember for my 14 Raptor going through several tunes b/c the first set of tunes shiffted WAY too harsh for normal around town driving...Just made no sense...and that's for a NA 6 Speed...Never mind a Boosted 10 Speed...so when you were talking about the Trans Tuning that really resonated with me as a concern...that and all the Throttle Tip In BS others have complained about.

I really wish someone near MA had one of these Tunes so I could meet up and "Test Drive"

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

I have literally asked this question on FB and Here I don't know how many times...As I really don't care about "Dyno Numbers" b/c there are soooo many things that affect those read outs...

1/10th at the Track = 10 HP as a general rule...so if say an MPT Tuned SCREW is running 13.4 at the Track with NOTHING else done...I would hole heartedly belive the 80 HP claims all day long.

Dyno numbers mean absolutely nothing unless you are using them as a baseline with runs with the same vehicle and on the same dyno.

I had an evo 9 that put down 315whp (on a notoriously low reading mustang dyno) that went 11.9. And then i went 10.9 with 370whp.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid questions can you tell which tune is currently loaded with the ngauge?

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gregger,

I live in Oxford which is 10 mins south of Worcester. You're more welcome to test drive my truck to see if you like MPTs tunes. Trust me you're going to be impressed.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Oxford which is 10 mins south of Worcester. You're more welcome to test drive my truck to see if you like MPTs tunes. Trust me you're going to be impressed.

Going to PM you my Cell...I'm actually going to Wilbraham, MA tomorrow afternoon for work...Not sure what your schedule is...but PM coming now. Thanks.

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Gearhead vs MPT?
Was talking with the guys at Texas Motorworx and they prefer Gearhead.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Gearhead vs MPT?
Was talking with the guys at Texas Motorworx and they prefer Gearhead.

It sounds like you can’t go wrong either way. The Mpt 93 prx is fun. The Gearhead tune sounds good too. The idea of maintaining fuel flexibility is pretty cool. Has anyone tried the Mpt daily driver/tow tune as well as the Gearhead tune? I still have to try out the Mpt tow tune but can’t bring myself to replace the 93 prx.

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
I loaded the 91 performance tow this weekend. Truck still pulls strong but isn't as aggressive. Normal mode reminds of stock revs but with a stronger pull. Sport mode had more responsive throttle and pep with slightly more seat of the pants pull. I will reload my 91PRX and use that until the hot weather hits. I will use the 91 performance tow during the Arizona summer as a method of not pushing the motor too hard.

I would imagine the 93 performance tow would actually be a good daily driver if you didn't want the push so hard all the time.

Sasha4

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the MPT tune account for changed intercoolers, air intakes and high flow catted down pipes? Or is it a more a generic tune that works off stock parameters? I came from the Cobb tuning side with my last car, where you had stages based on components added.

RobertH6657

Reaction score
I had my Raptor dyno tested and tuned this week at MPT here in Longwood, FL so I could see Before and After results. As Guy on this blog suggested, I went ahead and paid the extra to have it done since I live locally. Mike, MPT Owner, is very passionate about the programming. He dyno tested my Raptor 7 times and had my Raptor for 5 hours tweaking every ounce out of it. After being with him that long, I will tell you that I firmly believe he understands the Raptor programs - both engine and tranny - far better than other HP Tuner company. He only does select Ford EcoBoosts making his programming very very focused. How it works is MPT sends you the nGauge Programmer. You basically upload the stock program onto the SD Card provided you. You email it to MPT and they email you back the tunes you select. You get 3 base tunes (qty-3 of your choice). I got 93-PRX, 91-PRX and 91 Towing. When you load these tunes, you will notice a huge improvement in performance. MPT then gives you 90 days to mail back any mods you want made to the tunes. If you go past 90 days, they charge you extra (not much). But, if you tell Mike upfront what mods you made to your Raptor, he will alter each tune program to accommodate. For instance, if you put in a 190 t-stat, he has to program the fans to come on sooner at a lower temperature. No additional charge within 90 days of purchase. Very sweet. Highly recommended.